Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post

The deal is is I don't know any coach that is taken six jobs in 6 years and there are a number of guys in the basketball portal who are doing that. There are two guys from Seattle who between their high school and college transferring have gone to 14 schools in 16 years.

I know some position coach guys in football who jump around a bit and there are some head coaches but some of these players are just ridiculous in their constant transferring, and I don't know how one can get traction in a program or an academic department or a university by doing this. About 98% of these guys in all the college football are not going on to professional football so what's the purpose of all this transferring? Michael Roots isn't going to the NFL.
    That's a true point - but to be fair, the coaches are paid, and also have a much longer longevity in the college world than the athletes do. Athletes have 4-6 years to "get it right," coaches have their entire careers.

That being said - I get it, the transfer situation is indeed out of control. The NBA mentality of "I had a rough half season, I need a new team" is starting to creep into other sports. The NFL influence is definitely there though, guys thinking they have a shot for whatever reason and trying to shift around. It probably just boils down to entitlement more than anything, as much as I hate to blame things on entitlement.

That's interesting that guys out there can transfer to that many high schools. We don't allow for that here, it's similar to the NCAA rules - you have to sit out a year. It's to prevent the big schools from recruiting talent out of the little schools. If you're gonna transfer for athletics, it would be done during middle school, which is a huge gamble - or just be rich and go to a fancy private school right off the bat.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Since when do you get to determine who posts or what is relevant?

Comment

My take is if you're never going to see the light of day on the playing field you might as well try to find a place where you can play in football because it's such a tough practice sport.

If you have a horrific falling out with a coach then maybe it's time to hit the road, too.

What I don't understand, particularly in the basketball portal, is if a guy stubs his toe he's transferring out the door and burning every bridge in sight.

In the GNAC I look at two of the top Canadian Football League players in Bighill and Reilly who spent four years each at CWU. For Western Oregon, their two NFL players Kevin Boss and Tyrell Williams, stayed at the school and worked their way up the depth chart and improved their skills. I don't think either one would have made the NFL if they would have been hunting for other schools instead of working on their games.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
              My take is if you're never going to see the light of day on the playing field you might as well try to find a place where you can play in football because it's such a tough practice sport.

If you have a horrific falling out with a coach then maybe it's time to hit the road, too.

What I don't understand, particularly in the basketball portal, is if a guy stubs his toe he's transferring out the door and burning every bridge in sight.

In the GNAC I look at two of the top Canadian Football League players in Bighill and Reilly who spent four years each at CWU. For Western Oregon, their two NFL players Kevin Boss and Tyrell Williams, stayed at the school and worked their way up the depth chart and improved their skills. I don't think either one would have made the NFL if they would have been hunting for other schools instead of working on their games.
              You could even add Kitna to that list along with Akoye, but both CWU and APU were NAIA schools then.

Comment

The anti-portal guy, 5th-round pick from Clemson, who stuck it out after a redshirt year his 3rd year at the school and one productive year his senior year. Great quotes about persevering, not quitting, putting your head down and working hard:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...er/7320419002/

Comment

Trying to get back on topic here...

Roots committed to CSU Pueblo. He was originally briefly committed to Dixie State before he pulled that back to reevaluate his options when Pueblo offered him.

https://twitter.com/Racecar_Roots/st...650516998?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                    Trying to get back on topic here...

Roots committed to CSU Pueblo. He was originally briefly committed to Dixie State before he pulled that back to reevaluate his options when Pueblo offered him.

https://twitter.com/Racecar_Roots/st...650516998?s=19
                    Well, that makes a bit more sense. He'll get to go to the playoffs with them, probably.

Comment

Roots had 11 rushing attempts for 44 yards last night in a CSU-Pueblo loss to Commerce. Not an auspicious start for him either.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
                        Roots had 11 rushing attempts for 44 yards last night in a CSU-Pueblo loss to Commerce. Not an auspicious start for him either.
                        Playing Commerce is a bit more daunting than prior defenses he's seen I'm going to guess. Even more so when the Commerce secondary was clearly not concerned with getting beat deep. He'll have a great year and he showed some great flashes but that's a tough game to judge much off of.

Comment

Pueblo also returns a decent RB so it looks like he will be splitting reps with him this season (like he did with Cooper in 2018) unless Roots can really distance himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Playing Commerce is a bit more daunting than prior defenses he's seen I'm going to guess. Even more so when the Commerce secondary was clearly not concerned with getting beat deep. He'll have a great year and he showed some great flashes but that's a tough game to judge much off of.
                            I believe Roots has played Commerce before, at CWU. Of course, defenses change over the years.

Comment

I believe Roots has played Commerce before, at CWU. Of course, defenses change over the years.
                              I don't think Roots played against Commerce, assume you're referring to that playoff game? Seems recent but that was in 2017 somehow. Time flies.

Commerce has several D1 transfers this year, LBs from Tennessee, Kentucky, Aransas. They looked good on that side of the ball.

Comment

Roots and Moore are now re-thinking bolting CWU and the playing time that came with it. Now they're stuck at their schools as practice players, ugh. Roots would've dominated at CWU; Moore, I'm not sure. These guys get bad advice.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X