Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post

The deal is is I don't know any coach that is taken six jobs in 6 years and there are a number of guys in the basketball portal who are doing that. There are two guys from Seattle who between their high school and college transferring have gone to 14 schools in 16 years.

I know some position coach guys in football who jump around a bit and there are some head coaches but some of these players are just ridiculous in their constant transferring, and I don't know how one can get traction in a program or an academic department or a university by doing this. About 98% of these guys in all the college football are not going on to professional football so what's the purpose of all this transferring? Michael Roots isn't going to the NFL.
    That's a true point - but to be fair, the coaches are paid, and also have a much longer longevity in the college world than the athletes do. Athletes have 4-6 years to "get it right," coaches have their entire careers.

That being said - I get it, the transfer situation is indeed out of control. The NBA mentality of "I had a rough half season, I need a new team" is starting to creep into other sports. The NFL influence is definitely there though, guys thinking they have a shot for whatever reason and trying to shift around. It probably just boils down to entitlement more than anything, as much as I hate to blame things on entitlement.

That's interesting that guys out there can transfer to that many high schools. We don't allow for that here, it's similar to the NCAA rules - you have to sit out a year. It's to prevent the big schools from recruiting talent out of the little schools. If you're gonna transfer for athletics, it would be done during middle school, which is a huge gamble - or just be rich and go to a fancy private school right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

Stupid logic. Coaches coach for their career, sometimes 40 years. Players have a 4-5 year window, stop acting like it’s normal to pop around like that. Go pound somewhere else, Pounder.
      Many people refer to this as the gig economy. A lot of people are asked for loyalty on spec without sufficient return from their employers. It’s incumbent upon you to understand that this is part of the backlash to that.

It hasn’t been normal for student athletes to pop around like that, but it was also more normal for coaches to show a few more years of loyalty instead of resorting to the year-to-year nature of the actual scholarship. Furthermore, especially in states like Oregon, there’s a ton more scrutiny on these matters, which is why the state legislature wants to buck even Nike’s influence and offer more NIL rewards to athletes.

So if this doesn’t destroy college athletics (and that IS a goal among a growing number of people), it’s certainly going to change the landscape considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by Pounder View Post

Many people refer to this as the gig economy. A lot of people are asked for loyalty on spec without sufficient return from their employers. It’s incumbent upon you to understand that this is part of the backlash to that.

It hasn’t been normal for student athletes to pop around like that, but it was also more normal for coaches to show a few more years of loyalty instead of resorting to the year-to-year nature of the actual scholarship. Furthermore, especially in states like Oregon, there’s a ton more scrutiny on these matters, which is why the state legislature wants to buck even Nike’s influence and offer more NIL rewards to athletes.

So if this doesn’t destroy college athletics (and that IS a goal among a growing number of people), it’s certainly going to change the landscape considerably.
        Bla, bla, bla. If you’re not going to bring something relevant to the table, don’t even bother posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

Bla, bla, bla. If you’re not going to bring something relevant to the table, don’t even bother posting.
          Since when do you get to determine who posts or what is relevant?

Comment

My take is if you're never going to see the light of day on the playing field you might as well try to find a place where you can play in football because it's such a tough practice sport.

If you have a horrific falling out with a coach then maybe it's time to hit the road, too.

What I don't understand, particularly in the basketball portal, is if a guy stubs his toe he's transferring out the door and burning every bridge in sight.

In the GNAC I look at two of the top Canadian Football League players in Bighill and Reilly who spent four years each at CWU. For Western Oregon, their two NFL players Kevin Boss and Tyrell Williams, stayed at the school and worked their way up the depth chart and improved their skills. I don't think either one would have made the NFL if they would have been hunting for other schools instead of working on their games.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
              My take is if you're never going to see the light of day on the playing field you might as well try to find a place where you can play in football because it's such a tough practice sport.

If you have a horrific falling out with a coach then maybe it's time to hit the road, too.

What I don't understand, particularly in the basketball portal, is if a guy stubs his toe he's transferring out the door and burning every bridge in sight.

In the GNAC I look at two of the top Canadian Football League players in Bighill and Reilly who spent four years each at CWU. For Western Oregon, their two NFL players Kevin Boss and Tyrell Williams, stayed at the school and worked their way up the depth chart and improved their skills. I don't think either one would have made the NFL if they would have been hunting for other schools instead of working on their games.
              You could even add Kitna to that list along with Akoye, but both CWU and APU were NAIA schools then.

Comment

The anti-portal guy, 5th-round pick from Clemson, who stuck it out after a redshirt year his 3rd year at the school and one productive year his senior year. Great quotes about persevering, not quitting, putting your head down and working hard:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...er/7320419002/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X