Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana 59 CWU 3

I realized I totally forgot to debrief the game. I just got back to Seattle after a fun 3-day weekend road trip. It sure is an iconic stadium and was unfortunate that only 5000 fans were there. But these were some dedicated fans who mostly stuck around all game despite the score. The weather was pretty interesting, alternating between sunbreaks and windy snow showers.

CWU starting QB Christian Moore did not play but I hear it was nothing serious. ASU transfer Jack Smith got the start in his first game since 2016. He can scramble pretty well and probably should've run more often; his arm isn't the strongest. Redshirt freshman JJ Lemming made his collegiate debut in the 2nd half. He has the stronger arm, but was inaccurate. Weather could've been a factor. JJ has been going between baseball and football this spring. But the CWU QBs were just not clicking with the receiving corps.

Star RB Michael Roots announced his decision to transfer the day before the game. I thought North Dakota transfer Cameron McKinney would've been the new starting RB, but I was surprised to see him really only out there for kick returns. RS freshman Tyler Flanagan got the majority of the snaps and wasn't able to get any big yardage. Later in the game Kennedy Catholic's Zaire Lozolo saw some action. So it looks like we can expect a young rebuilding group of RBs going forward, unless they can pick up another transfer before next fall.

I should point out that the O-line actually held their ground well and did not allow a sack. Thy just couldn't pave much running room. The defensive line was unable to record a sack against the massive Griz O-line of 6'6"+ 320 pounders but it was great to see 6'5" 310 lb DT Christian Penny back on the field! CWU may be the weakest they have ever been at LB, after Donte Hamilton who had 18 tackles. Unfortunately Hamilton Hunt is no longer with the program, and both Max Randle and Daeon Hudson both missed a lot of tackles on the outside to give up some big yardage to the Griz. At safety CWU went young with Cody O'Connell and James Hinson and at CB was Patrick Rogers and NAU transfer Nate Perkins, who has some size at 6'3" and looked pretty good out there.

UW transfer Van Soderberg handled all kicking and punting, as Pat Hegarty was in sweats and not playing. His first couple punts were pretty bad but he improved with each one. He did make the 37 yard FG but he does not have a strong leg by any means which was shown on the kickoffs.

Montana was firing on all cylinders. Their new starting QB is from Issaquah and they have some serious size and athleticism at both WR and DB with some FBS transfers. They had a 6'6" wideout matched up against 5'11" Patrick Rogers and that went as rough as you would expect. And their LBs were able to completely stuff the rush and not let us get any big plays.

Glad the Wildcats could get the game in and that's cool you got to see it. Montana is traditionally the best or near the top in their conference, no shame in losing to them. Good to get the game in, wish WOU could play PSU.

Comment

Yeah, it was a butt kicking. Went about like it normally does when CWU plays an FCS team. Starts off competitive, but they get worn down and the bigger, faster team pours it on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X