Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Fraser Schedule

Since CWU's and WOU's came out, I figured SFU's was probably out too. Pretty interesting schedule they have. They have a FCS team, a D3 team, and an NAIA team.

https://athletics.sfu.ca/sports/football/schedule/2021

Also, this happened:

Hey, cool mascot, love it.

Interesting that Linfield signed up to play Simon Fraser they usually dodge any upper division teams.

I'd sure like to see Southern Oregon and Eastern Oregon play Western Oregon every year or at least one of the two play them every year. Why the heck not?

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Hey, cool mascot, love it.

Interesting that Linfield signed up to play Simon Fraser they usually dodge any upper division teams.

I'd sure like to see Southern Oregon and Eastern Oregon play Western Oregon every year or at least one of the two play them every year. Why the heck not?
      The NAIA team in Montana State Northern was interesting. They're in the land of 8-man football. Heck, I bet RC will recognize a bunch of their players.

Comment

On Simon Fraser's 2020 roster I noticed they have about 25 players from the state of Washington, nearly all of them from the Puget sound area except for a Yakima kid. Probably a pretty good recruiting strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          On Simon Fraser's 2020 roster I noticed they have about 25 players from the state of Washington, nearly all of them from the Puget sound area except for a Yakima kid. Probably a pretty good recruiting strategy.
          When Ford became HC he had tons of WA recruiting ties being a former HS HC in Tacoma. They need to keep recruiting stateside because sorry but those Canadian kids are garbage

Comment

Weird that are playing a D3 and NAIA team on the road. Really unusual

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
              Weird that are playing a D3 and NAIA team on the road. Really unusual
              I would say COVID across an international border has rewritten what is called "unusual". Not here for a COVID argument, but the reality is SFU has probably the most difficult time in the entire NCAA filing out its schedule. They'll take what they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

I would say COVID across an international border has rewritten what is called "unusual". Not here for a COVID argument, but the reality is SFU has probably the most difficult time in the entire NCAA filing out its schedule. They'll take what they can get.
                Agreed Goods. Easier for them to travel across multiple times for the pandemic with vaccine rules than to force it on other teams that may not be able to meet international standards, especially at lower divisions. Even then, I bet even having passports/enhanced drivers licenses played a role too.

Comment

When Ford became HC he had tons of WA recruiting ties being a former HS HC in Tacoma. They need to keep recruiting stateside because sorry but those Canadian kids are garbage.
                  If you are going to make a statement like this, then don't bother saying,"sorry" because you obviously don't mean it! You also likely are not aware of the fact that when asked about what he knew about High School football in B.C., Coach Ford said, "I know nothing!" Of course he recruited in Washington and what was his record?? He missed out on a lot of the top High School players in B.C. and the rest of Canada because he just didn't recruit them. Over the last three seasons, 2018, 2019 and 2020 only one player from Vancouver College has committed to SFU while over 15 of our grads have been heavily recruited across Canada and have received scholarships for football! Canadian kids are not garbage!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
                    When Ford became HC he had tons of WA recruiting ties being a former HS HC in Tacoma. They need to keep recruiting stateside because sorry but those Canadian kids are garbage.
                    If you are going to make a statement like this, then don't bother saying,"sorry" because you obviously don't mean it! You also likely are not aware of the fact that when asked about what he knew about High School football in B.C., Coach Ford said, "I know nothing!" Of course he recruited in Washington and what was his record?? He missed out on a lot of the top High School players in B.C. and the rest of Canada because he just didn't recruit them. Over the last three seasons, 2018, 2019 and 2020 only one player from Vancouver College has committed to SFU while over 15 of our grads have been heavily recruited across Canada and have received scholarships for football! Canadian kids are not garbage!!!!
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ootball_League

Here you go with a list of Canidans in the NFL. One included is former Seahawk Nate Burleson

Comment

Thanks Single Malt. I know you coach the high school level in British Columbia and I appreciate your words. I thought calling kids garbage was really over the top and shouldn't have been written.

It's tough enough to form a D2 football league on the heavily populated West coast, the fastest growing region in America, and somehow the college administrators do not want football, the last thing we need are our own fans trashing the players who put their blood and sweat on the field on Saturdays.

Comment

The biggest concern with SFU right now has to be opening the border in time for games. Vaccination rates in Canada lagged behind the US for a long time, but they're starting to catch up, so hopefully by September the border will be back open. We don't need SFU being like the Blue Jays playing all their home games in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
                          The biggest concern with SFU right now has to be opening the border in time for games. Vaccination rates in Canada lagged behind the US for a long time, but they're starting to catch up, so hopefully by September the border will be back open. We don't need SFU being like the Blue Jays playing all their home games in Florida.
                          It makes me wonder if they could play in Burlington like CWU does when the smoke is too bad. If there were fires and smoke I wonder if they could play double headers there on Saturdays.

Comment

Thanks Single Malt. I know you coach the high school level in British Columbia and I appreciate your words. I thought calling kids garbage was really over the top and shouldn't have been written.
                            I am now 70 years old and, yes, I am still coaching at Vancouver College who are still the defending B.C. AAA champions, but I also coached at SFU for 9 years and before that at UBC for 3 years. I was with SFU when we transitioned to the NCAA so I know what I am talking about when it comes to both B.C. High School football and NCAA Div.2. My last season with SFU was 2012 and I was there when we posted victories over Azusa, Dixie, Humboldt and Central Washington using almost exclusively Canadian kids. I retired from coaching University football and then was talked back into coaching H.S. 2 years later. The biggest problem that SFU has is not the quality of the Canadian players but the continuous turnover of coaches, not only Head coaches, but also assistants. The Athletic Administration people have hired coaches who say that they are going to stay and build the program, and yet people like Thomas Ford leave after only 2 years. They also do not listen to the "Football People" on the hiring committees and choose the people who will just go along with mediocrity and not make any demands of them to try to achieve excellence!! I know because I was on the last hiring committee and it was almost laughable how they made their choice! A lot of the top players in B.C. have avoided SFU for the last several years because of the rampant turnover of coaches as well as their dismal record. SFU has been out recruited by UBC, U of Calgary, U of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens, U of Western Ontario and even U of Sakatchewan!! The current Head Coach is still listed as an Interim coaching and has really only recruited second level talent from the local high schools. It is not his fault; he is a good man but as an"Interim Head Coach" he is also seen as only temporary by many recruits.
                            I hope that the border opens up for the Football season and the new stadium at SFU brings in some local fans to support the team ( Whatever they call them as they are no longer "The Clan"), but I fear that given so many of SFU players are not Canadians a lot of the local fans will not really care to go and watch!!

Comment

Good stuff, Malt. I do know when I was in college many moons ago, Simon Fraser knocked am excellent Wolves team out of the playoffs on the last regular season game of the year up in Burnaby ... and they did it with all Canadian kids.

* I think this was a little bit of an outlier post for CWU Nation. We've all made posts that we regret and I've only seen him trash athletes once and it was in this thread. For the most part he's been a big supporter of all the GNAC schools.
                              Last edited by tsull; 06-10-2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X