Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    What a great article by 406 Sports. I know the writer, he used to be the Corvallis, Oregon sports editor and he is one sharp dude. He knows sports and college athletics very well.

I'll always agree that college football is a bonus for most universities. At smaller colleges it takes a lot of work from administration, alums, and coaches. There's not that never-ending money flow like there is at Ohio State. It's much easier to cut sports than add them. I'm still under the contention that for most administrators, they don't want to do the work because they'll receive their six-figure paycheck whether there's football or not. It's a pride thing and most of these athletic directors don't have pride in football.

Dumping football is like dumping your business major because it's not as good as major as an Ivy League Business School. One could do the comparison game all day.

It is crucial that the GNAC starts expanding its football playing members. I would hope the College of Idaho with 24 football scholarships, would consider moving up to division 2. They've done all they can do in NAIA, and as noted in this thread, that would prompt Southern and Eastern Oregon to also contemplate moving up to NCAA division 2.

I've never been to the MSU Billings campus. In my journeys around the West I have done short walks on many schools and the ones who have dropped football, like Chico State, Sonoma State, Hayward, are just like the writer said, full of older, commuter students. If these colleges want to become that, I would suggest moving down to the junior college ranks, eliminating dorms and student life and save money if all you want to offer are night classes to older working students.

* Western Oregon just announced the adding of men's soccer. I don't know what that means for football, but with a three-game home schedule this year and the addition of soccer next year, I'm wondering if they are de-emphasizing the sport. The often-silent WOU administration isn't always really good about communicating their goals and priorities. They recently dumped a major fundraising arm of athletics, Wolves club, for no reason. The message sent is their scaling back not ramping up.

TSULL,

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post

TSULL,
      Good stuff, when I was the writer for independent football at this website many years ago I covered North Greenville. I liked the people there and could tell they had a vision for what they wanted to accomplish in the sport and at the university.

Montana State-Billings has been a strong member of our conference and I hope they add football because I think it would take off there. For example, in their own state Montana State University Bozeman has equaled or surpassed the University of Montana in athletics, and is building a new football operations building. Enrollment-wise, Montana State University Bozeman is the biggest school in the state.

?????? Football would be a boon for Billings.

* In another lifetime, I lived in Forest Grove, Oregon, where division 3 Pacific University resides. It's a beautiful, old, historic campus. But athletically it's an afterthought. They had homecoming one year around men's soccer. I decided to go over there and see what was going on. I counted 10 spectators and two guys playing bongo drums. It was embarrassing.

They brought back football several years later and were shocked at the huge crowds they got their first year and how it invigorated the campus.
      Last edited by tsull; 07-17-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Not football, but some good GNAC news. Alaska-Anchorage is re-instating hockey after dropping it for a year. Seattle Kraken donors stepped up to help raise money and are also attempting to save the Seawolves Rugby team. Maybe some of these football schools should take a que from Alaska Anchorage. I'm looking at you WWU, APU, and HSU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X