Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland State?

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/2...etic-club.html

Is it anything like the Washington Athletic Club? If so that would be a big move. WAC I know is a pretty big deal. Never heard of the Multnomah AC though

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      Is it anything like the Washington Athletic Club? If so that would be a big move. WAC I know is a pretty big deal. Never heard of the Multnomah AC though
      "The MAC" looks pretty impressive from their website and Wikipedia page.

https://themac.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_Athletic_Club

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

"The MAC" looks pretty impressive from their website and Wikipedia page.

https://themac.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_Athletic_Club
        It's a big club but I have not known one person in the history of college athletics to leave athletic director position for a fitness club. But hey, maybe they paid big bucks, I don't know.

Financially, they would be better off playing division 2 and that's when they got their biggest crowds. I just saw a movie about an old Portland Beavers single A baseball team run by Kurt Russell's dad. They drew pretty huge crowds for class A ball, but when they went AAA and started losing the crowds went down big time. Portland just isn't a sports town but if you win even at a lower level the fans will come out.

Schools like Portland State, Chicago State which just went 1 and 21 I believe in basketball; Sacramento State, which has a 1,300+seat gym, should not be playing division one athletics. They all want a piece of that CBS NCAA tournament basketball pie so they can keep their departments running. It's a very odd business model.

There's a very strange belief by most sports fans that everyone should be division one and if you're knocking it or questioning it then you just don't understand what it takes. B.S. Guess what, your local bar band isn't the Rolling Stones either.

Comment

Multnomah is ranked #6 by the Platinum Clubs of America in the Top 20 Athletic Clubs category - my understanding is the PCOA is the Bible for this type of stuff.

Washington Athletic Club is ranked #5.

Top 20 Athletic Clubs | PCOA (platinumclubsofamerica.com)

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Multnomah is ranked #6 by the Platinum Clubs of America in the Top 20 Athletic Clubs category - my understanding is the PCOA is the Bible for this type of stuff.

Washington Athletic Club is ranked #5.

Top 20 Athletic Clubs | PCOA (platinumclubsofamerica.com)
            Well done, thanks for sharing. I thought for sure that New York would be #1 and was surprised to see Detroit on top. Good for them.

Comment

Even with the high ratings, this is the first time I've seen a division one collegiate athletic director leave to run a health club. Perhaps she was seeking more of a 9 to 5 existence, and in that case I would not blame her. She was well regarded in the athletic director industry and I thought was on her way up but more power to her if this is what she wants to do.

Juggling finances, small crowds, and the apathy of Portland, cannot be easy at Portland State

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Well done, thanks for sharing. I thought for sure that New York would be #1 and was surprised to see Detroit on top. Good for them.
                No problem!

That jumped out at me too. I did some reading and it appears to be a well-deserved title. The club looks fantastic, and it's location just beyond the centerfield wall of Comerica park is quite interesting too.

Detroit Athletic Club (Apr2021) - YouTube

Comment

Multnomah's AD earned $201,458 for the 2019 fiscal year. PSU AD's contract extension was reported at $186,000/yr - which is a 3.62% difference.

Multnomah Athletic Club - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica
                  Portland State rewards athletic director Valerie Cleary with a 5-year contract extension - oregonlive.com

Obviously, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. The outgoing MAC AD will earn more than the incoming MAC AD, but it's the best comparison I can find. Either way, if it is a reduction in pay, it's probably not a large one at all and will be made up within a couple years.

I can't find solid numbers on PSU - but it looks like their budget is ~$15,000,000, while MAC's Revenues for 2019 were $47,000,000. Again, an apples to oranges comparison, but it's the best I could find.

Comment

Multnomah's AD earned $201,458 for the 2019 fiscal year. PSU AD's contract extension was reported at $186,000/yr - which is a 3.62% difference.

Multnomah Athletic Club - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica
                    Portland State rewards athletic director Valerie Cleary with a 5-year contract extension - oregonlive.com

Obviously, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. The outgoing MAC AD will earn more than the incoming MAC AD, but it's the best comparison I can find. Either way, if it is a reduction in pay, it's probably not a large one at all and will be made up within a couple years.

I can't find solid numbers on PSU - but it looks like their budget is ~$15,000,000, while MAC's Revenues for 2019 were $47,000,000. Again, an apples to oranges comparison, but it's the best I could find.
                    How did you find salaries for a private entity? They usually don't make those public.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

How did you find salaries for a private entity? They usually don't make those public.
                      Taxes.

I didn't know this prior to finding it on Google - but apparently, NPO tax filings are made public for three fiscal years (as I understand it). The link above compiled all that information into a bitsized nugget, but they do also have a record of the actual document to go along with it.

Someone also posted a fairly accurate range on Glassdoor. It was actually easier to find MAC's information than it was to find Portland State's - which is interesting.

Comment

Taxes.

I didn't know this prior to finding it on Google - but apparently, NPO tax filings are made public for three fiscal years (as I understand it). The link above compiled all that information into a bitsized nugget, but they do also have a record of the actual document to go along with it.

Someone also posted a fairly accurate range on Glassdoor. It was actually easier to find MAC's information than it was to find Portland State's - which is interesting.
                        Good sleuthing. I usually give up looking for stuff like that if it's a private entity.

Looking at that salary from the MAC looks like it was a solid move for the PSU athletic director. She gets more of a 9 to 5 existence and doesn't have to scramble to keep D1 livelihood going as Portland State really struggles with money, crowds and all that. They fall into my category of a dwannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Good sleuthing. I usually give up looking for stuff like that if it's a private entity.

Looking at that salary from the MAC looks like it was a solid move for the PSU athletic director. She gets more of a 9 to 5 existence and doesn't have to scramble to keep D1 livelihood going as Portland State really struggles with money, crowds and all that. They fall into my category of a dwannabe.
                          Thanks!

I normally do too, but I figured a google search or two couldn't hurt. I was kinda curious how much a private athletic director could make.

Comment

Comment

It's an impressive club and many A.D.'s make moves into the corporate sector, usually from schools like PSU not Power 5. PSU is a super tough job, no fan support, play in tiny facilities, not much money, and trying to keep the silly D1 dream alive even though they're not relevant in any sport in a weak Big Sky Conference. At least NAU wins national titles in cross country. There's too much of a D2 stigma and D1 overratedness (if that's such a word). They should go D2 and win national titles, same with Sac State and their 1,300-seat gym, which makes WOU's hoop facility look like Pauley Pavilion. Clowns all around, PSU A.D. wise to get out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X