Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done with D1 sports

The playing field was never really level in division one athletics but now with a quarterback who has not played at Alabama and has lined up a million dollars of endorsements, I'm done with division one college sports.

Part of it is I'm a Washington State fan, and they have no chance competing on this level and really only three Pac-12 schools can play what I call College pro football and that is USC, Washington, and Oregon. I've heard that many SEC schools were already paying recruits six figures and this is just more on the table.

We can talk about insane coaches salaries and players not getting their slice of the pie and I agree with a little bit of that. But if I want to watch professional sports, I'll watch true professional sports with contracts, trades, and all that.

With a no holds barred transfer portal and now money going to the highest bidder, I'm pretty much done with it and I hope division 2 doesn't slide into this world of greed.

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    The playing field was never really level in division one athletics but now with a quarterback who has not played at Alabama and has lined up a million dollars of endorsements, I'm done with division one college sports.

Part of it is I'm a Washington State fan, and they have no chance competing on this level and really only three Pac-12 schools can play what I call College pro football and that is USC, Washington, and Oregon. I've heard that many SEC schools were already paying recruits six figures and this is just more on the table.

We can talk about insane coaches salaries and players not getting their slice of the pie and I agree with a little bit of that. But if I want to watch professional sports, I'll watch true professional sports with contracts, trades, and all that.

With a no holds barred transfer portal and now money going to the highest bidder, I'm pretty much done with it and I hope division 2 doesn't slide into this world of greed.
    You could say High School too: https://www.espn.com/high-school/sto...asketball-star

He is a junior this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

You could say High School too: https://www.espn.com/high-school/sto...asketball-star

That's insane high school should not be going down this road and if this kid wants to turn pro he should do it.

Comment

We obviously won't know the effects of NIL for a few years yet, but I'm excited for it. It definitely evens the playing field - because now a player has the ability to leverage their own marketing power.

Here's a proof of concept - which of these four has the biggest social media following?

Bryce Young - Alabama QB
        Trevor Lawrence - former Clemson QB
        Donald De La Haye - (recent) former UCF Punter
        Noah Beck - (recent) former Portland State soccer

Beck does, with over 7.1 million followers and De La Haye is #2 with 1.3 million. They both had to leave college because they weren't allowed to do social media and play sports. Now that won't be a factor. Based on that example, the playing field is very much even.

I also think it could lead to a slight geographical shift - top recruits may find value is going to schools located in/near New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta (etc) because of endorsement, social media, and networking opportunities. Tuscaloosa just can't provide what New York or Los Angeles can. I don't think this will suddenly turn UCLA into a power house, but I think it might be enough to push some top recruits away from the SEC.

As for the lower levels, I don't think there will be much difference. Players will sign social media endorsement deals with local companies, but I don't think it will be enough to shift dynamics for the average program and/player. You'll get the oddball athlete who amasses 10k Instagram followers through endorsements and tries to push out of D2 up to D1 to maximize his value, but most won't be doing that (and it's not unlike how it already works).

That's just how I see it - my suggestion would be to give it a few years before completely tossing in the towel, we haven't even begun the first football season with NIL rules yet. I have no opinions on the transfer rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'm all for people using the image they created for themselves to make money, but that's a little too extreme - if that becomes widespread, I could see some serious burnout situations where they otherwise wouldn't have happened.

There's gotta be some limit.

Not to mention exploitation - yikes.

Comment

Comment

Dennis Rodman's daughter, the No. 1 prep soccer player in America, signed a letter of intent with Washington State in 2020 (her brother is on the hoop team), and she showed up to campus, went through practices, then found out she would be a high draft pick and went pro. I think she was drafted 1 or 2 and left. Don't blame her, she cashed out.

That's why I don't like 1 and done in college hoop, let's quit the pretense and if guys want to go pro out of high school, let them. If they fail, that's on them.

As far as D1 sports, I'm done. I have no interest in the SEC, super leagues, college athletes getting lots of money and then acting more entitled than they already are. See Seattle Times story of Gaskin, Plum, Browning, other UW athletes, crying about the full rides they got in college as if it wasn't enough. Not one knows the cost of tuition or books because they never had to pay for them.

Comment

Time will tell with the NIL and the only difference I see is that there are more opportunities for students and the cash flow is a little more transparent. Players have been getting paid to play for years. Some schools are just better at hiding it. It's funny to hear some schools and coaches complain about the disparity it may present, like they have not benefited from paid players in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat94 View Post
                  Time will tell with the NIL and the only difference I see is that there are more opportunities for students and the cash flow is a little more transparent. Players have been getting paid to play for years. Some schools are just better at hiding it. It's funny to hear some schools and coaches complain about the disparity it may present, like they have not benefited from paid players in the past.
                  Heard 'Bama recruits get 6-figures every time, NCAA couldn't get a grip on it and was never going to put 'Bama on probation ... though that UMass women's tennis team sure caused a lot of trouble (I'm serious, look it up). NCAA needs to implode sooner rather than later, perhaps that will bring a little more sanity in Northwest small college sports where one doesn't have to go to Texas to find a football game and a team can just go to La Grande or Ashland ... I'm not expecting the private schools to play state schools, however

Comment

Dennis Rodman's daughter, the No. 1 prep soccer player in America, signed a letter of intent with Washington State in 2020 (her brother is on the hoop team), and she showed up to campus, went through practices, then found out she would be a high draft pick and went pro. I think she was drafted 1 or 2 and left. Don't blame her, she cashed out.

That's why I don't like 1 and done in college hoop, let's quit the pretense and if guys want to go pro out of high school, let them. If they fail, that's on them.

As far as D1 sports, I'm done. I have no interest in the SEC, super leagues, college athletes getting lots of money and then acting more entitled than they already are. See Seattle Times story of Gaskin, Plum, Browning, other UW athletes, crying about the full rides they got in college as if it wasn't enough. Not one knows the cost of tuition or books because they never had to pay for them.
                    There's talk about it, but right now I believe it is in the NBA's court. For football it is 3 years or 1 redshirt and 2 playing, which I doubt will change more on the safety front. I also doubt any NFL team would want an 18 year old player that would likely be special teams at best until fully developed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X