Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU-B has new A.D. with football background

Interesting stuff from the very good 406 website. Linked below the main story on the new Billings A.D. is a story about bringing back football, not to be confused with the great opinion piece on the same topic a few weeks ago.

https://406mtsports.com/college/gnac...2f19eae88.html

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Interesting stuff from the very good 406 website. Linked below the main story on the new Billings A.D. is a story about bringing back football, not to be confused with the great opinion piece on the same topic a few weeks ago.

https://406mtsports.com/college/gnac...2f19eae88.html
    If they did it, a better way to get GNAC football schools with one already in the GNAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

If they did it, a better way to get GNAC football schools with one already in the GNAC.
      If Billings added football, the RMAC would be knocking in a hurry. Football's the only reason they haven't yet, IMO.

In addition to giving the RMAC 11 football teams, Billings would be the fourth "northern" school in the RMAC giving the RMAC 16 members in four nice, neat quadrants.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

If Billings added football, the RMAC would be knocking in a hurry. Football's the only reason they haven't yet, IMO.

In addition to giving the RMAC 11 football teams, Billings would be the fourth "northern" school in the RMAC giving the RMAC 16 members in four nice, neat quadrants.
        That would be the 3rd school poached from the GNAC. Why not just get the other 3 football schools too?

Comment

That would be the 3rd school poached from the GNAC. Why not just get the other 3 football schools too?
          CWU, WOU, and SFU wouldn't even be accessible via bus for most RMAC members. They'd have to either fly or spend two extra travel days. Right now the longest football trip in the conference is 12 hours. Billings keeps that window at 13-14 max.

That's not to diminish the travel challenges that GNAC schools already face. I'm aware, but a majority of the current RMAC members would have to agree it, and I don't see that happening.

Comment

CWU, WOU, and SFU wouldn't even be accessible via bus for most RMAC members. They'd have to either fly or spend two extra travel days. Right now the longest football trip in the conference is 12 hours. Billings keeps that window at 13-14 max.

That's not to diminish the travel challenges that GNAC schools already face. I'm aware, but a majority of the current RMAC members would have to agree it, and I don't see that happening.
            They used to do it for wrestling for CWU when CWU was in the NAIA. At that time CWU's wrestling was in the RMAC before CWU dropped wrestling and swimming. I'd just hate the GNAC to get another football team and then have them pillaged by the RMAC. We've already seen 2 schools do that and another 3 schools drop football completely. That would be the 6th team, and at that point with all those schools the GNAC would have been a 9 team football conference! I'm not even counting Grand Canyon University who was supposed to start football and was already on the schedule, but didn't and jumped to D1.

The GNAC has already had too many teams change conferences or drop football completely and losing Dixie State and SD Mines may have led to two dropping football.
            Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 08-04-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

They used to do it for wrestling for CWU when CWU was in the NAIA. At that time CWU's wrestling was in the RMAC before CWU dropped wrestling and swimming. I'd just hate the GNAC to get another football team and then have them pillaged by the RMAC. We've already seen 2 schools do that and another 3 schools drop football completely. That would be the 6th team, and at that point with all those schools the GNAC would have been a 9 team football conference! I'm not even counting Grand Canyon University who was supposed to start football and was already on the schedule, but didn't and jumped to D1.

The GNAC has already had too many teams change conferences or drop football completely and losing Dixie State and SD Mines may have led to two dropping football.
              I would imagine it was a similar arrangement to what San Francisco State currently has in wrestling. They are also an RMAC wrestling member and they travel over the Rockies maybe once a year and wrestle several teams in one trip. Other than that, they wrestle D1 and NAIA opponents mainly. Grand Canyon and California Baptist also had similar arrangements with the RMAC while they were D2. Both of those schools had the budgets to fly anywhere they wanted, though.

Simon Fraser is in the same boat currently, except they're a wrestling independent. But they're are the outliers in a region with all RMAC teams, so they eventually have to compete head to head in postseason. It helps if you've faced the opponent before.

Comment

With or without football, Billings has had plenty of opportunities to join the RMAC. The RMAC has a nice even 10 schools with football and 5 schools without it. Westminster is the most recent conference addition that is still a member and they do not have football.

Obviously things can change but I don't get the feeling that Billings has a wandering eye. It might make them happy if the GNAC can get Carroll College to join and that also may help with the return of football in Billings.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

With or without football, Billings has had plenty of opportunities to join the RMAC. The RMAC has a nice even 10 schools with football and 5 schools without it. Westminster is the most recent conference addition that is still a member and they do not have football.

Obviously things can change but I don't get the feeling that Billings has a wandering eye. It might make them happy if the GNAC can get Carroll College to join and that also may help with the return of football in Billings.
                  MSU-Billings has been a very strong member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Frankly, I'm tired of the rmac and they can stick it. They don't need 20 teams in their conference.

Billings has been very good in baseball, solid in basketball and really good all around in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. I would not want to lose them as a school. If they added football, I think that would be tremendous for the conference, for our conference not the rmac.

Comment

MSU-Billings has been a very strong member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Frankly, I'm tired of the rmac and they can stick it. They don't need 20 teams in their conference.

Billings has been very good in baseball, solid in basketball and really good all around in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. I would not want to lose them as a school. If they added football, I think that would be tremendous for the conference, for our conference not the rmac.
                    The RMAC wants to be the SEC it almost feels like, but on the D2 level where they don't need OOC games in any sport to fill their schedule.

Comment

The RMAC wants to be the SEC it almost feels like, but on the D2 level where they don't need OOC games in any sport to fill their schedule.
                      Exactly and I know the NCAA doesn't care about D2, but they should at least attempt to grow the sport west of the Rockies. The RMAC doesn't need any more teams for any sport.

With California abandoning football, the GNAC's best chances for football growth are MSU-Billings, and perhaps SOU, EOU, College of Idaho, and Carroll College. We don't need the RMAC raiding the conference.

Comment

Exactly and I know the NCAA doesn't care about D2, but they should at least attempt to grow the sport west of the Rockies. The RMAC doesn't need any more teams for any sport.

With California abandoning football, the GNAC's best chances for football growth are MSU-Billings, and perhaps SOU, EOU, College of Idaho, and Carroll College. We don't need the RMAC raiding the conference.
                        For their constitutional convention it is 11 from D1, 3 from D2, and 3 from D3.... I'd love to see the FCS/FBS split on it, but haven't seen those numbers. I hope it is 4 from FBS, 3 from FCS, and 3 from non-football conferences but have a feeling FBS dominates it. Even 4 Power 4/5, 3 Group of 5/6, and 3 FCS would be acceptable if football oriented.

Comment

The NCAA is just trying to survive at this point.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X