Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Maybe now you can work some magic and convince Linfield it wants to move up to D2 and try for the playoffs there!
    I could see if I can get Jobu to show up, but I'm not sure he knows anything about football.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

I could see if I can get Jobu to show up, but I'm not sure he knows anything about football.
      Jobu wasn't too effective, as I recall.

Comment

Craig,
        If you have posted your views elsewhere I am sorry for the duplication. I had seen last fall even before the changes in the administration about the potential that New Haven become a D1 school. Now with Hartford reclassifying, what are your thoughts and knowledge on the situation there?

Comment

Originally posted by realignmentreport1 View Post
          Craig,
          If you have posted your views elsewhere I am sorry for the duplication. I had seen last fall even before the changes in the administration about the potential that New Haven become a D1 school. Now with Hartford reclassifying, what are your thoughts and knowledge on the situation there?
          I did post some things on the NE10 board, and to make a long story short, I basically said "I'll believe it when I see it". I'm still of that opinion.

When the university president announced the hiring of the new AD from Kansas a couple of years ago, he said that New Haven was a Division 1 school right now. I didn't think they were, and I still think that a lot of work needs to be done to make reclassification something that is realistic and sustainable. Thing is, it looks like a lot of the work New Haven needs to do in order to reclassify is already in progress. They're building a new sports facility and they hope to upgrade existing facilities, and the fundraising efforts have been strong. So, they're doing a lot of the right things towards that goal. Now, I'm a bit concerned about what will likely be a request to enter the Northeast Conference, which is, in my opinion, at or near the bottom of D1 conferences, but then again, the NE10 isn't the best conference either, at least in football. I'm hoping the NEC isn't a permanent D1 home.

I was there when New Haven football (and baseball and volleyball) was a D2 titan, and I want them to be a sports titan again. Their former D2 neighbor, Quinnipiac, made the move up and their ice hockey team has become a national contender. That is the model I hope New Haven can replicate. Former AD Chris Palmer, who was New Haven's football coach a while back and a whole lot smarter than me when it comes to these things, says moving up is the right move, so I'm going to trust him and the university that it would be the right thing to do.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X