Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great story on Coach Zamberlin, now coaching preps in south Idaho

Excellent story, great hire by Meridian, he'll revive that program. Taking the Idaho State job is a death spiral for most coaches. At one time they had Kyle Whittingham (head coach Utah) and Gary Andersen (head coach Utah State, Oregon State, Wisconsin) on their staff, and they got fired.

Anyway, coach Z sounds like a great guy and I think he'll do well at Meridian:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sport...32476302.html?

Re: Great story on Coach Zamberlin, now coaching preps in south Idaho

I wonder what would have happened at CWU had he stayed on. He was a pretty solid coach.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
      I wonder what would have happened at CWU had he stayed on. He was a pretty solid coach.
      Here's how the Idaho State hires work. When I was in school back in the dark ages we had a great hoop coach in Jim Boutin, whose first year at WOU he took over a 5-25 program and flipped it to 25-5. Then he won 26 games, then 30, then 24 or so the next few years. Having coached at Willamette many years before WOU, he felt the itch to go D-1. I was writing for the school paper at the time, and having grown up in North Idaho and knowing about the ISU sh-t show, I groaned when he took this job. It's a flat-out coach killer. Boutin took ISU to its first NCAA D-1 tourney in years one or two years into the job, I thought he had proved me wrong. Two years later the morons in Pokey fired him. Idaho State has not been back to the NCAA tournament since Boutin took them there some 30 years ago. They've also fired/pushed out every hoops coach since that time, not one moved on to a better job.

This is a football board: The last football coach to move on from ISU was Dave Kragthorpe, who won a I-AA title (FCS) title in Pocatello, believe it or not, in the 80's. He flopped at his next stop, Oregon State, which was a death trap at the time (28 straight losing seasons). Since Kragthorpe left, they've fired every single football coach they've had, including Larry Lewis, who was there 9 years and I think had some solid seasons. Great guy, former WSU assistant under Price, ISU idiots were stupid to fire him. Zamberlin couldn't get anything going there, join the ISU club, 100% sh-t show athletic dept.

Coaches take ISU jobs because they're desperate to get that D-1 gig, like their latest hoop hire, former Point Loma and Seattle Pacific coach Ryan Looney, great coach, whom I hope didn't self-destruct his career by going to Pocatello. What a freaking mess ...

* There's a Big Sky lover lurking on the hoops board and some here who will come in and bash me, so be it.

Comment

Tim, saw a young woman at a gym in Yakima wearing a WOU shirt today. Considered asking her if she liked watching her football team get beat by CWU all the time!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X