Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Week 3 Game Thread

Two games this week. First, it's WOU's turn to be pounded by an FCS team. But, they don't have to go far to get their butts kicked as they play at Portland State. The second game features SFU's new and improved stadium as well as the first home game for any GNAC team! Well, the field is the same, but the Slippery Slope is gone and fans can actually plant their butts on a bench AND be protected against the rain! SFU's season has gone absolutely horribly so far, and I don't think it's going to get any better when CWU comes up. I was going to go to this game, but COVID, border crossings, etc. aren't going to let that happen.

WOU @ Portland State video: Will be on ESPN+, don't know about local broadcasts
    CWU @ SFU video: https://www.youtube.com/user/SFUSports/videos (free!)

FYI-The Week 3 column is up, and I pretty much agree with IronOre. I think CWU will be happy, but not WOU or SFU.

https://www.d2football.com/ncaa-inde...eek-3-preview/

Comment

I am glad that CWU has SFU to bounce back nicely before they face Angelo State the following week

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
        Two games this week. First, it's WOU's turn to be pounded by an FCS team. But, they don't have to go far to get their butts kicked as they play at Portland State. The second game features SFU's new and improved stadium as well as the first home game for any GNAC team! Well, the field is the same, but the Slippery Slope is gone and fans can actually plant their butts on a bench AND be protected against the rain! SFU's season has gone absolutely horribly so far, and I don't think it's going to get any better when CWU comes up. I was going to go to this game, but COVID, border crossings, etc. aren't going to let that happen.

WOU @ Portland State video: Will be on ESPN+, don't know about local broadcasts
        CWU @ SFU video: https://www.youtube.com/user/SFUSports/videos (free!)
        I agree with this analysis. I wonder how the border situation will effect fans in Eastern BC that would like to see Vancouver in person when they open up the pre-season of the NHL facing the Kraken in Spokane which is a much shorter drive than going to Vancouver. Also hard to believe NHL pre-season starts in 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I agree with this analysis. I wonder how the border situation will effect fans in Eastern BC that would like to see Vancouver in person when they open up the pre-season of the NHL facing the Kraken in Spokane which is a much shorter drive than going to Vancouver. Also hard to believe NHL pre-season starts in 10 days.
          They're not allowed to cross into the US right now. The government doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to change that, either.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

They're not allowed to cross into the US right now. The government doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to change that, either.
            I'm also curious how CWU is going to get to SFU. Are they going to fly out of Seattle or is there a waiver for teams to cross the border by bus? I wonder if if there is a similar agreement for the NCAA like for MLB and NHL. I'm trouble finding anything on it, but we know SFU has been allowed across the border to go to Moscow and Monmouth. It could be also why CWU requires all athletes to be vaccinated too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'm also curious how CWU is going to get to SFU. Are they going to fly out of Seattle or is there a waiver for teams to cross the border by bus? I wonder if if there is a similar agreement for the NCAA like for MLB and NHL. I'm trouble finding anything on it, but we know SFU has been allowed across the border to go to Moscow and Monmouth. It could be also why CWU requires all athletes to be vaccinated too.
              US citizens can cross into Canada if they have been vaccinated and have a negative COVID test result in the past three days (or have a positive result at least two weeks old). SFU got into the US somehow, and I doubt they flew, so they obviously have a way to do it.

Comment

Central Washington will roll through the 3-team League this year. Nothing can spoil the football season for me but I really do wish our conference could get more teams playing football.

* Question for Single Malt, wondering what's happened to Simon Fraser football. I had high hopes that they were trending upwards and perhaps they are but it looks like they are really struggling right now. I think they can attract the best athletes in British Columbia and they get some pretty good ones from the Pacific Northwest. I'm just wondering what's going on up there. Perhaps it's a long rebuilding project, there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                  Central Washington will roll through the 3-team League this year. Nothing can spoil the football season for me but I really do wish our conference could get more teams playing football.

* Question for Single Malt, wondering what's happened to Simon Fraser football. I had high hopes that they were trending upwards and perhaps they are but it looks like they are really struggling right now. I think they can attract the best athletes in British Columbia and they get some pretty good ones from the Pacific Northwest. I'm just wondering what's going on up there. Perhaps it's a long rebuilding project, there's nothing wrong with that.
                  I'm guessing a lot of it is that they can't keep a coach for very long. The last one had them on the right track, but then he booked it.

Comment

In regards to the stadium: Build it and they will come.

Nah they probably won't come. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                      In regards to the stadium: Build it and they will come.

Nah they probably won't come. Oh well.
                      I think their numbers will be up a bit. If they can average in the thousands, they'll be doing great.

Comment

Yakima Herald writeup for the game tomorrow:

https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/...1e2de35ff.html

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Just my opinion, but the coaching situation is a mess and has been since Dave Johnson left. Thomas Ford swore up and down during his interview that he would be in for the long haul and would re-build the program. he admitted that he knew nothing about B.C.High school football and never really committed to learning about it or recruiting the best players. Many of the best went east to Canadian schools who offered a better experience. He brought in a lot of U.S. kids who have not really panned out. Many of them left, then he did too!! (I am pretty sure that he was being paid around $100,000 at SFU and likely took a pay cut to go to the UW. But it is the Big Time for sure!!) I told the A.D. that he would be gone in two years, but she hired him anyway! The new (HeadCoach) is still stuck with the "Interim" tag which certainly does not help recruiting, even though he is a good man. He has hired an almost totally new staff who seem to be over matched and still not ready to do what is necessary. When you add in the fact that, even with a new and quite attractive stadium, Canada's NCAA team is made up of mostly Americans and that many of the Alumni are not fans of that fact, you have a very troublesome situation!! The fact that the only thing that they celebrated after the Linfield Beatdown was having a woman kicker.... well it says a lot!!

Comment

Thanks for the report Single Malt. Lots of dynamics there. They need to get the right guy in as head coach and obviously a quality staff. I still think Simon Fraser can win. It's an excellent academic institution in a great city.

They've had talent and depth in the past, they can do it again.

* Yes, Thomas Ford didn't do them any favors.

Comment

WOU only down 7-0 in the second.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X