Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mike Reilly era of the GNAC

It really wasn't that long ago, 2005-2008, that Mike Reilly tore up the GNAC and D2 football as CWU's QB. While as a WOU football fan, I knew he would light up the Wolves, he was a delight to watch from a pure football perspective. His elusiveness in the pocket and his ability to throw on the run were remarkable.

CWU, in turn, welcomed some big time transfers from I believe places like USC and Miami, and had some linebackers who frankly would've started at WSU at that time. I recall one game where they lost at Missoula by perhaps 2 or 3, a missed or made FG in the final minute was the decider. This wasn't Idaho State, but UM in Missoula, in front of 25K. CWU was a juggernaut, perhaps if memory serves right only a blocked PAT kept them from a championship game berth (I think that was one year after Reilly had graduated).

I'd thought the GNAC was on its way. WOU was slowly building a few things like new locker rooms and coaches offices and had a stable coaching staff. Azusa was high quality and so was Humboldt and Simon Fraser. The future looked good to me, or at least promising. Just a decade and a couple years later the GNAC has 3 teams, there are no Mike Reilly's or D1 type LB's. More teams have dropped football than joined the GNAC. While we follow the transfers out of the GNAC at far-flung schools, I like to remember Mike Reilly and what was and what could've been for the GNAC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae..._(quarterback)

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    It really wasn't that long ago, 2005-2008, that Mike Reilly tore up the GNAC and D2 football as CWU's QB. While as a WOU football fan, I knew he would light up the Wolves, he was a delight to watch from a pure football perspective. His elusiveness in the pocket and his ability to throw on the run were remarkable.

CWU, in turn, welcomed some big time transfers from I believe places like USC and Miami, and had some linebackers who frankly would've started at WSU at that time. I recall one game where they lost at Missoula by perhaps 2 or 3, a missed or made FG in the final minute was the decider. This wasn't Idaho State, but UM in Missoula, in front of 25K. CWU was a juggernaut, perhaps if memory serves right only a blocked PAT kept them from a championship game berth (I think that was one year after Reilly had graduated).

I'd thought the GNAC was on its way. WOU was slowly building a few things like new locker rooms and coaches offices and had a stable coaching staff. Azusa was high quality and so was Humboldt and Simon Fraser. The future looked good to me, or at least promising. Just a decade and a couple years later the GNAC has 3 teams, there are no Mike Reilly's or D1 type LB's. More teams have dropped football than joined the GNAC. While we follow the transfers out of the GNAC at far-flung schools, I like to remember Mike Reilly and what was and what could've been for the GNAC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae..._(quarterback)
    I think the blocked PAT was after he left and he was the SR final at GVSU. In his final game, had a chance to win at WT in the playoffs but turned it over on downs attempting to get the touchdown needed in the final seconds. Other than that, really agree with you! I remember also his first year after leaving CWU he signed with Pittsburg and played in a Monday Night preseason game, then was on the sideline for the Rams toward the end of the season.

Comment

Michael Reilly now, not Mike anymore

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X