Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carroll College

Interesting article about Carroll College and the GNAC.

Carroll College had a chance to move to NCAA Division II, decided to stay in NAIA

Re: Carroll College

Written by the former sports writer of the Ellensburg newspaper

Sounds like they are already plenty satisfied with their current competition that they don't have to travel far to play. That and he didn't like the downward trend of the GNAC football.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      Written by the former sports writer of the Ellensburg newspaper

Sounds like they are already plenty satisfied with their current competition that they don't have to travel far to play. That and he didn't like the downward trend of the GNAC football.
      Just need the NAIA to fold already.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
        Just need the NAIA to fold already.
        Thomas More U is bucking the trend and is moving from D3 to NAIA. Most schools are going the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
          Interesting article about Carroll College and the GNAC.

Carroll College had a chance to move to NCAA Division II, decided to stay in NAIA
          Excellent article, the school did their due diligence. I don't blame them for staying put and I don't want NAIA to fold. I liked the NAIA when WOU was in it and now I've embraced D2.

What really sucks is D3, IMO. Yeah, Linfield and Whitworth care, few others do. Pacific U. got beat by a bunch of 25-30 year old mill workers from Lewiston, Idaho, who formed a semi-pro team, I use the term "pro" lightly, not one guy on that team played college football, well maybe there was one or two benchwarmers.

The complete implosion of the CFA was weird. NAIA is much better than D3, Carroll put a beat down on Linfield last year, and Linfield is good, but the Wildcats came name the score in most of their games. How fun is that? Hey, we're going to Lewis & Clark on Saturday, a nice, short trip, but a complete beat down. L & C won't beat Linfield for 50 or 60 years, maybe more. It's not good and it's not interesting. At least NAIA offers schlolarships/grants in aid.

The GNAC's only problem is football members, California can't seem to get its act togther, SOU, EOU, and Carroll, aren't moving up, and College of Idaho, probably isn't either. GNAC is pretty exciting in basketball.

Comment

The problem for the GNAC is that the Frontier Conference is thriving and doing well and none of those schools have any reason to leave such a good competitive conference for a failing football conference. Plus they would need to increase their budget and upgrade their facilities, and it isn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              Thomas More U is bucking the trend and is moving from D3 to NAIA. Most schools are going the other way.
              I am spending almost all of my time working on the new site. I had not really fathomed how much movement from the NAIA to D2 there has been since the site has started.

Some I can think of....
              Azusa Pacific
              Black Hills State
              Central State
              Davenport
              Findlay?
              Lindenwood
              Malone
              Mary
              McKendree
              Minot State
              Northwestern Oklahoma
              Oklahoma Baptist
              Panhandle State (Returned to NAIA)
              Quincy
              Shorter
              Sioux Falls
              South Dakota Mines
              Southern Nazarene
              Tiffin?
              Urbana
              Walsh
              William Jewell

Comment

Comment

Quickly looking over your list......I don't think these schools were D2 in that time period.

Texas Lutheran
                  Westminster
                  Gardner-Webb
                  Morris Brown?

Panhandle State came in and out.
                  McMurry came in and out.
                  Mansfield dropped football.

St. Paul's ceased to exist.

Comment

OPSU was in D2 from the late 90's until 2017. Their football team played a full CSFL schedule for several years, but they weren't an NAIA member during that period.

Correct on the rest. Some of them I was off by a year on.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                      OPSU was in D2 from the late 90's until 2017. Their football team played a full CSFL schedule for several years, but they weren't an NAIA member during that period.

Western Oregon should be on that list, I think they moved from NAIA to D2 in the early 2000's.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

They were a member of the NAIA Mid-States Football Association for football. I guess you could say they were a member of D2 during that period but they did not play enough division two games a season to qualify for the playoffs. I did not include them on the website most years and they did not object.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                          Western Oregon should be on that list, I think they moved from NAIA to D2 in the early 2000's.
                          Western Oregon was in the process of moving in 2000, so I didn't list them.

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          They were a member of the NAIA Mid-States Football Association for football. I guess you could say they were a member of D2 during that period but they did not play enough division two games a season to qualify for the playoffs. I did not include them on the website most years and they did not object.
                          Central States Football League, not Mid-States Football Association, but yeah. They played a full CSFL schedule, but they weren't listed in the CSFL standings and weren't an NAIA member. Lincoln (MO), Quincy, and Kentucky Wesleyan all played in the NAIA at various times while in D2 for other sports, while Tiffin did the opposite.

Comment

Thanks for the correction on the CSFL.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X