Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Week 5 Game Thread

Two games this week. It was supposed to be three, but UT Permian Basin wussed out and canceled their game at Simon Fraser. First, West Texas A&M is coming to Oregon to play Western Oregon. WTAM has had a mixed bag this year, losing to Permian Basin and narrowly losing to ranked Colorado Mines. I think WOU has a chance if they can find some offense. CWU goes from the frying pan to the fire when #11 Midwestern State comes to Ellensburg. They've beaten some good teams in Commerce and Angelo State. Interestingly, ENMU, the team CWU crushed took them to overtime last week before losing. If CWU can get some good QB play, they could pull an upset. If the QB play is like last week... it will be a long day.
    WTAM @ WOU video: https://www.youtube.com/wouwolves
    MSU @ CWU video: SWX again. Hopefully the streaming works better this time for those out of region. https://www.nbcrightnow.com/sports/swx_live/

I wonder if there's a penalty in canceling the game. Or if it's under the COVID rules they get out of it. SFU is gonna have to schedule everything at Bellingham's Civic Stadium or in Seattle to get people to honor their commitment. It's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
      I wonder if there's a penalty in canceling the game. Or if it's under the COVID rules they get out of it. SFU is gonna have to schedule everything at Bellingham's Civic Stadium or in Seattle to get people to honor their commitment. It's BS.
      CWU and WOU both managed to make it into Canada this season. It's not Canada's rules that are the problem. Sadly, the WOU game was SFU's last home game for the season.

Comment

The LSC is losing another team to D1 FCS:

https://www.ketr.org/news/2021-09-28...division-i-fcs

Commerce is moving up.

Comment

Wanted to let you know that my week 5 article is up...all 4268 words of it:

https://www.d2football.com/ncaa-inde...eek-5-preview/

Long story short - I've been impressed with the effort that CWU and WOU have had defensively, but both teams need better offensive performances this week. CWU especially-if they have another 9-33 out of their QB, it won't be good. WOU has had one arm of their offense (running or passing) work in each of their games this season, but they haven't yet had a game with both really working well.

I spent some time discussing playoff chances too - CWU has the best chance,but I think they need to win out and finish 8-2 to have any hope. WOU would need to win out and get a lot of help and hope the committee remembers 2018 Azusa Pacific getting in with 3 losses. In other words, a very long shot. I feel bad for the teams in this conference. There are some proud programs in the GNAC and they are at a disadvantage because of things outside their control. To have as active a message board as you have shows that pride.

I've been quiet about the SFU cancellation, but it seems to me like UTPB had issues and couldn't (or didn't) want to play. I don't get how SFU already hosted two US schools and didn't have any problems, but a game against an LSC school is now a problem. Thinking the GNAC schools knew what was up and prepared accordingly.

Thank you IronOre for the video links.
          Last edited by cwfenn; 09-29-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Long story short - I've been impressed with the effort that CWU and WOU have had defensively, but both teams need better offensive performances this week. CWU especially-if they have another 9-33 out of their QB, it won't be good. WOU has had one arm of their offense (running or passing) work in each of their games this season, but they haven't yet had a game with both really working well.

I spent some time discussing playoff chances too - CWU has the best chance,but I think they need to win out and finish 8-2 to have any hope. WOU would need to win out and get a lot of help and hope the committee remembers 2018 Azusa Pacific getting in with 3 losses. In other words, a very long shot. I feel bad for the teams in this conference. There are some proud programs in the GNAC and they are at a disadvantage because of things outside their control. To have as active a message board as you have shows that pride.

I've been quiet about the SFU cancellation, but it seems to me like UTPB had issues and couldn't (or didn't) want to play. I don't get how SFU already hosted two US schools and didn't have any problems, but a game against an LSC school is now a problem. Thinking the GNAC schools knew what was up and prepared accordingly.

I agree with your takes on the two games. I think for CWU it all comes down to whether or not they can actually pass the ball this week. WOU's D will keep them in the game, but I don't think their offense is good enough to win it. And yeah, I think Texas politics may have come to play in UTPB's decision to stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

I spent some time discussing playoff chances too - CWU has the best chance ,but I think they need to win out and finish 8-2 to have any hope. WOU would need to win out and get a lot of help and hope the committee remembers 2018 Azusa Pacific getting in with 3 losses. In other words, a very long shot. I feel bad for the teams in this conference. There are some proud programs in the GNAC and they are at a disadvantage because of things outside their control. To have as active a message board as you have shows that pride.

Nice write up Craig. Very glad you are on the case and have the GNAC squads.

Playoffs for GNAC teams have been tough to get admission. In 2010, CWU had three losses; one to eventual DII champ UMD, one to eventual FCS champ EWU (one in which CWU was driving for the game winning TD with under two minutes to play) and a hard fought loss to a very good Humboldt State (25-24). Not even a sniff for the playoffs at #8 in the region (Six teams qualified in that year). Heck, in 2008, CWU's only loss was on a last second FG at Montana, which went on to the FCS championship game. CWU's reward? A trip to Canyon to take on WTAMU.

I get it, the GNAC is not a real league. My biggest hope is that we take to Midwestern and raise some eyebrows. Even a sub par effort on offense last week and CWU beats Angelo.

It is tough being a CWU fan.

Comment

GNAC Players of the Week:

Offense - Omari Land, WOU
                Defense - Donte Hamilton, CWU
                Special Teams - Marquis Sampson, WOU

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Nice write up Craig. Very glad you are on the case and have the GNAC squads.

Playoffs for GNAC teams have been tough to get admission. In 2010, CWU had three losses; one to eventual DII champ UMD, one to eventual FCS champ EWU (one in which CWU was driving for the game winning TD with under two minutes to play) and a hard fought loss to a very good Humboldt State (25-24). Not even a sniff for the playoffs at #8 in the region (Six teams qualified in that year). Heck, in 2008, CWU's only loss was on a last second FG at Montana, which went on to the FCS championship game. CWU's reward? A trip to Canyon to take on WTAMU.

I get it, the GNAC is not a real league. My biggest hope is that we take to Midwestern and raise some eyebrows. Even a sub par effort on offense last week and CWU beats Angelo.

It is tough being a CWU fan.
                  Been away from the board for awhile. Work and my daughter's barrel races take a lot of time. Anyway, I would love to see CWU take it to Midwestern. I also hope WOU can keep it respectable against West Texas. If it's tough being a CWU, it's very hard being a WOU fan :)

Comment

Originally posted by 98wolf View Post

Been away from the board for awhile. Work and my daughter's barrel races take a lot of time. Anyway, I would love to see CWU take it to Midwestern. I also hope WOU can keep it respectable against West Texas. If it's tough being a CWU, it's very hard being a WOU fan :)
                    Think of the SFU fans...

I'm going down to Monmouth next week. I expect it will be a defensive battle.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Think of the SFU fans...

I'm going down to Monmouth next week. I expect it will be a defensive battle.
                      There is that....

I am planning to be there on the 9th for the CWU game as well. I would like to be optimistic, so here goes...WOU"s defense keeps them in it for two, maybe 3 quarters. The lack of consistency on offense is to much and CWU has a big 4th quarter.

Comment

There is that....

I am planning to be there on the 9th for the CWU game as well. I would like to be optimistic, so here goes...WOU"s defense keeps them in it for two, maybe 3 quarters. The lack of consistency on offense is to much and CWU has a big 4th quarter.
                        Since when did WOU start doing night games? I was very surprised to see the game is at 6pm.

Comment

Good question, I'll check on it. The schedule I have shows the 9th kicking off at 1305, and the game on the 23rd in Ellensburg kicking off at 1800.

Comment

Good question, I'll check on it. The schedule I have shows the 9th kicking off at 1305, and the game on the 23rd in Ellensburg kicking off at 1800.
                            My mistake. I was looking at the CWU game. Guess I don't have as much time to make the game as I thought I did.

Comment

I wish the CWU game was earlier. It conflicts with the M's game which has huge importance.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X