Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
    I agree with you, this blowout loss was much easier to deal with than the blocked XP one. Muucchhh easier. It also helped it was partially expected.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

I agree with you, this blowout loss was much easier to deal with than the blocked XP one. Muucchhh easier. It also helped it was partially expected.
      Agreed! I was happy we scored 21 points and weren't shut out.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, they're going to lose some good defensive players (Hamilton, Steckline, Penny hasn't made his mind up yet), but most of the key offensive players will be back. I think Flanagan has a shot to be really good because he did just get some legitimate yards against NW (who had some starters on the DL in the whole way). CWU will continue with their money games against FCS I bet, so that will help with money a little.

I hope you come over and start covering the LSC since most of your independent teams are going away!

Comment

Yeah, they're going to lose some good defensive players (Hamilton, Steckline, Penny hasn't made his mind up yet), but most of the key offensive players will be back. I think Flanagan has a shot to be really good because he did just get some legitimate yards against NW (who had some starters on the DL in the whole way). CWU will continue with their money games against FCS I bet, so that will help with money a little.

I hope you come over and start covering the LSC since most of your independent teams are going away!
            And we've got 3 great FCS teams to try to schedule. Montana, Montana State, and EWU all made the FCS playoffs along with Sacramento State and UC Davis from the Big Sky. For WOU I can see them maybe scheduling Sacramento State and UC Davis for bus ride FCS games along with of course Portland State.

The real shame is we can't have a great conference like the Big Sky in D2 for West of the Rockies as they would say on Coast to Coast AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
              Great work, Craig.

You had a stellar season. You jumped in to a league/region you had no experience in and really did it well.

Thanks. We haven't had this kind of column since JG.

Comment

Very well written column. Good luck to CWU in the LSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

And we've got 3 great FCS teams to try to schedule. Montana, Montana State, and EWU all made the FCS playoffs along with Sacramento State and UC Davis from the Big Sky. For WOU I can see them maybe scheduling Sacramento State and UC Davis for bus ride FCS games along with of course Portland State.

The real shame is we can't have a great conference like the Big Sky in D2 for West of the Rockies as they would say on Coast to Coast AM.
                  I wonder how difficult it is to schedule those Big Sky games. I would assume we can't play UM, MSU, EWU, PSU every 3-4 years, or maybe we can. I don't believe we've played Montana State since 2002 when we upset them on homecoming, but I'm too lazy to find a list of historical FCS games.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

I wonder how difficult it is to schedule those Big Sky games. I would assume we can't play UM, MSU, EWU, PSU every 3-4 years, or maybe we can. I don't believe we've played Montana State since 2002 when we upset them on homecoming, but I'm too lazy to find a list of historical FCS games.
                    CWU has played EWU (several times), Montana (twice), Montana State (went to that game), Idaho State, and Portland State (went to that game too) that I know about.

Comment

I'm lazy, but I guess I'm lazy with work. I looked up their schedule from 1985 through this year. We are 5-17 against FCS teams since 1985.
                      1-7 vs. EWU (last played this year)
                      0-3 vs. Montana (last played in 2020)
                      0-1 vs. Idaho (last played in 2019)
                      0-1 vs. Portland St (last played in 2018)
                      1-1 vs. Idaho St (last played in 2009)
                      0-1 vs Cal Poly SLO (last played in 1996)
                      2-1 vs. St Mary's (last played in 2002, no longer has football)
                      1-1 vs. Montana St (last played in 2002)
                      0-1 vs Northern Idaho (last played in 1999)

Also of note: the 1988, 1989 and 1990 teams were great. 30-3-1, one loss each year in the playoffs. That was a few years before my time. I was a college kid from 1995-2000.

Comment

I see a lot of open D2 games across all four super regions, but I do believe we need an FCS game to fund some of the trips. Wish there was a way to do what we did in 2009 when we opened with Colorado Mesa and then stayed on the road and beat UMD on national TV. This is 2 weeks before school started. I wish we could do something like that with a Commerce, Tarleton, Abilene Christian, SFA, etc and then stay in Texas for a "league" game within the LSC. That would be expensive, but it would guarantee a money game.

Of course, it all makes sense to me from the comfy confines of the "what if we had unlimited resources because running cat, iron ore, kahn and tav donate 7 figures a year" part of my football brain.

Comment

I'm lazy, but I guess I'm lazy with work. I looked up their schedule from 1985 through this year. We are 5-17 against FCS teams since 1985.
                          1-7 vs. EWU (last played this year)
                          0-3 vs. Montana (last played in 2020)
                          0-1 vs. Idaho (last played in 2019)
                          0-1 vs. Portland St (last played in 2018)
                          1-1 vs. Idaho St (last played in 2009)
                          0-1 vs Cal Poly SLO (last played in 1996)
                          2-1 vs. St Mary's (last played in 2002, no longer has football)
                          1-1 vs. Montana St (last played in 2002)
                          0-1 vs Northern Idaho (last played in 1999)

Also of note: the 1988, 1989 and 1990 teams were great. 30-3-1, one loss each year in the playoffs. That was a few years before my time. I was a college kid from 1995-2000.
                          Isn't Northern Idaho in Couer D'Alene? I didn't know they had a football team...

Comment

Isn't Northern Idaho in Couer D'Alene? I didn't know they had a football team...
                            My guess is a typo for Colorado? Well, that area of Idaho does look a lot like northern Colorado in the mountains. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

My guess is a typo for Colorado? Well, that area of Idaho does look a lot like northern Colorado in the mountains. lol
                              Yeah, North Idaho is a community college at that.

Comment

Yeah, North Idaho is a community college at that.
                                If they were D1, it would mean 3 D1 schools in the Spokane area. Still, even with 2 that is 2 more than the Tri-Cities which is a bit surprising of no universities near the metro area. I did though on local radio hear an ad for going to CWU for academics.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X