Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
    I kind of hope that it stays with the Scottish motif. My bet is "Highlanders" as it is Scottish and the university sits atop Burnaby Mountain!! Unfortunately it is unlikely to happen because the powers that be up there have not ever listened to me in the past regarding Head Coach hiring and it still remains a bit of a crapshoot although I do hope that Mike has better success than his predecessors. What I would hate to see is the Athletic Dep't bending to the pressure of the Indigenous peoples up here and using some unpronounceable indigenous name. Heaven knows that our Indigenous people have had to deal with numerous injustices such as Residential Schools, but a nickname of a University Athletic's program is not the best way to make restitution.
    I like that, Highlanders although the clan I have ancestors from were Lowlanders. That also works as the TV show Highlander was filmed in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

How about the SFU Orcas?
      Oh Hell No!! The Canucks have an Orca on their jerseys and how is that been working for them???!! The Canucks apparently will bring back the black skate jersey soon and it is very nice, for SFU to be named after whales.... too many bad headlines are possible!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I like that, Highlanders although the clan I have ancestors from were Lowlanders. That also works as the TV show Highlander was filmed in the area.
        I like Highlanders, excellent. I know of one high school in the Spokane area that has that nickname, no one else.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Hopefully the new nickname will be something to represents British columbia, Canada. I'm so tired of bulldogs bears, eagles, in the new catch phrase of the day The Nighthawks in Northwest nazarene. I'm not sure what a nighthawk is but I don't think they frequent the Boise/Nampa area that much.

https://idahobirds.net/distribution/...mon-nighthawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

I have a great memory of my athletic accolades. I just don't seem to have any newspaper clippings or trophies to prove it. But just believe me. I was a star.
            And you were a Rodeo star as well!

Comment

I like Highlanders, excellent. I know of one high school in the Spokane area that has that nickname, no one else.
              UC Riverside has Highlanders as their mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post

Oh Hell No!! The Canucks have an Orca on their jerseys and how is that been working for them???!! The Canucks apparently will bring back the black skate jersey soon and it is very nice, for SFU to be named after whales.... too many bad headlines are possible!!
                They've been a lot better since the coaching change. Glad to see Pederson finally getting on track too and the power play out of its funk. Two really good wins in their last two games against Washington and Nashville.

A month long road trip though hasn't helped them at all this season. Didn't they also get two President's trophies and reach a Stanley Cup Finals with the Orca jerseys?

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Fraser_of_Lovat

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fraser_(explorer)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/84th...land_Emigrants)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fraser_(died_1306)

Comment

Not that they're unique to BC, but I once had to duck to avoid being hit in the face by a seagull in North Vancouver. I assume they're over there in Burnaby also. Simon Fraser Screaming Seagulls?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
                      Not that they're unique to BC, but I once had to duck to avoid being hit in the face by a seagull in North Vancouver. I assume they're over there in Burnaby also. Simon Fraser Screaming Seagulls?
                      I doubt they want to be named after those nuisances. Highlander fits SFU well since they're literally on the highest land in Burnaby. Which is why they get fog games.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

I doubt they want to be named after those nuisances. Highlander fits SFU well since they're literally on the highest land in Burnaby. Which is why they get fog games.
                        Also fits the Scottish theme well.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Some very excellent analysis from all of the posters ( OK, but No Seagulls and no Whales) and now it is way past time that the SFU Athletics Admin got off the pot ( figuratively and literally!!) and made a damn choice!!! How long are they going to take????

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X