Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFU Head Coach

This was from November, but SFU has taken the interim tag off Mike Rigell and named him permanent head football coach.

https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2021/1...all-coach.aspx

Hopefully he can get something going.

Comment

Mike Rigel is a great guy with a lot of ability to get the job done.I wish him the best of luck!! Now the next thing they need to do is to come up with a dynamic nickname for their teams!! Don't ya think that it's kinda time they got that done????!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
        Mike Rigel is a great guy with a lot of ability to get the job done.I wish him the best of luck!! Now the next thing they need to do is to come up with a dynamic nickname for their teams!! Don't ya think that it's kinda time they got that done????!!!
        Hopefully the new nickname will be something to represents British columbia, Canada. I'm so tired of bulldogs bears, eagles, in the new catch phrase of the day The Nighthawks in Northwest nazarene. I'm not sure what a nighthawk is but I don't think they frequent the Boise/Nampa area that much.

Regarding football, I hope the new head coach focuses on British Columbia recruiting and doesn't get all caught up in Puget sound guys, who weren't being looked at that heavily even by D3 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Hopefully the new nickname will be something to represents British columbia, Canada. I'm so tired of bulldogs bears, eagles, in the new catch phrase of the day The Nighthawks in Northwest nazarene. I'm not sure what a nighthawk is but I don't think they frequent the Boise/Nampa area that much.

Regarding football, I hope the new head coach focuses on British Columbia recruiting and doesn't get all caught up in Puget sound guys, who weren't being looked at that heavily even by D3 schools.
          Yeah, nighthawks are around here. I've seen them before. They're not easy to spot, as they live up to their names.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...thawk/overview

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Yeah, nighthawks are around here. I've seen them before. They're not easy to spot, as they live up to their names.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...thawk/overview

Good stuff, I just learned a lot about the Nighthawk. Fantastic picture, too, thanks.

Comment

Nighthawks isn't even a unique nickname in D2, thanks to North Georgia.

Comment

Good stuff, I just learned a lot about the Nighthawk. Fantastic picture, too, thanks.
                I saw a pair of them circling over the house right at dusk one day, so I looked them up.

Comment

Just googled animals unique to British Columbia. Lots of animals (and mammals) to choose from, in and out of the water. Hopefully it will be unique. The Marmot is up there, so is the Black Bear (taken by Univ. of Maine, I think), and others. How about the Whales? The Canadian Geese? The Great Blue Herons (though they'd have to change their school colors probably).

Comment

I kind of hope that it stays with the Scottish motif. My bet is "Highlanders" as it is Scottish and the university sits atop Burnaby Mountain!! Unfortunately it is unlikely to happen because the powers that be up there have not ever listened to me in the past regarding Head Coach hiring and it still remains a bit of a crapshoot although I do hope that Mike has better success than his predecessors. What I would hate to see is the Athletic Dep't bending to the pressure of the Indigenous peoples up here and using some unpronounceable indigenous name. Heaven knows that our Indigenous people have had to deal with numerous injustices such as Residential Schools, but a nickname of a University Athletic's program is not the best way to make restitution.

Comment

Mike Rigell has done something very smart as he has hired some very well known and respected assistant coaches who have close ties to the B.C. football community. They know that to achieve success, they MUST get the best local players and stop the Eastern Canadian universities from poaching them!! Once they can recruit the best B.C. kids then they can add players from the U.S. who will be positive contributors and not transfer out!! In the past SFU was also able to get the best kids from across Canada and this must also happen. Back in the day SFU was the biggest supplier of players to the CFL, but this has not been the case lately because for whatever reasons SFU has not been getting the top Canadian kids. I hope that with a new focus on recruiting by coaches like Prepchuk, Erdman and others that they will once again get those good kids!!

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
                        Mike Rigell has done something very smart as he has hired some very well known and respected assistant coaches who have close ties to the B.C. football community. They know that to achieve success, they MUST get the best local players and stop the Eastern Canadian universities from poaching them!! Once they can recruit the best B.C. kids then they can add players from the U.S. who will be positive contributors and not transfer out!! In the past SFU was also able to get the best kids from across Canada and this must also happen. Back in the day SFU was the biggest supplier of players to the CFL, but this has not been the case lately because for whatever reasons SFU has not been getting the top Canadian kids. I hope that with a new focus on recruiting by coaches like Prepchuk, Erdman and others that they will once again get those good kids!!
                        Great points. When I was in college back in the dark ages, one of WOU's best ever teams had to win the last game of the season vs. Simon Fraser up in Burnaby to go to the playoffs. They lost, actually they maybe gotten a serious beat down, can't remember the score. What I do remember if probably 100% of that Simon Fraser team was from B.C. and Canada. They were tough and talented.

Comment

Why one shouldn't go on memory for long ago results. The 1986 final game of the season for Western Oregon was at home vs. Simon Fraser, which won 43-42, knocking a then-7-1 Wolves team out of the playoffs. Not in Burnaby and not a beat down, but a great win for Simon Fraser.

Comment

Why one shouldn't go on memory for long ago results.
                            I have a great memory of my athletic accolades. I just don't seem to have any newspaper clippings or trophies to prove it. But just believe me. I was a star.

Comment

Just googled animals unique to British Columbia. Lots of animals (and mammals) to choose from, in and out of the water. Hopefully it will be unique. The Marmot is up there, so is the Black Bear (taken by Univ. of Maine, I think), and others. How about the Whales? The Canadian Geese? The Great Blue Herons (though they'd have to change their school colors probably).
                              How about the SFU Orcas?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X