Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Schedules

Originally posted by cchrstnsn View Post
    i have to say - the signing of 40-60 kids a year for a $500 full year scholarship is a joke! So the kids can "sign" on signing day? I wish the ncaa would make a rule that d2 schools can only sign 20 kids a year (basically giving each a 1/2 scholarship or more). It is a joke that tamc and all others sign 40-60 a year (and my son played at tamc) and many more than 1/2 of them are gone after 1 or 2 semesters.
    This would at the very least require coaches to actually recruit the right kids, do a little homework, and thrive or implode based on their own ability to sell themselves. I know the rules are set up as they are, but recruiting should be an art, not a throw ****e against the wall and see what sticks part of college football. Just my opinion.
    *applaud*
    *standing o*

Comment

Originally posted by cchrstnsn View Post
      I have to say - the signing of 40-60 kids a year for a $500 full year scholarship is a joke! So the kids can "sign" on signing day? I wish the NCAA would make a rule that D2 schools can only sign 20 kids a year (basically giving each a 1/2 scholarship or more). It is a joke that TAMC and all others sign 40-60 a year (and my son played at TAMC) and many more than 1/2 of them are gone after 1 or 2 semesters.
      This would at the very least require coaches to actually recruit the right kids, do a little homework, and thrive or implode based on their own ability to sell themselves. I know the rules are set up as they are, but recruiting should be an ART, not a throw ****e against the wall and see what sticks part of college football. Just my opinion.
      Valid points. Did your son get playing time? Chip explained how players can get other scholarship $$ if their coaches are resourceful.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
        Commerce just announced we added an 11th game. In Commerce on Sept 29 vs. Lock Haven Univ from the PSAC and moved the Kingsville game to week 1. SWEET! Im wondering in TAMUK will pick up a game now too.
        Commerce must be offering a sweet guarantee to a Lock Haven team that's been one of the bottom-feeders, first in the PSAC West and now in the PSAC East. They've shown some signs of life occasionally, but they've been pretty bad over the past 35+ years.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          Commerce must be offering a sweet guarantee to a Lock Haven team that's been one of the bottom-feeders, first in the PSAC West and now in the PSAC East. They've shown some signs of life occasionally, but they've been pretty bad over the past 35+ years.
          According to our coach, we have been offering "unprecedented" guarantees to try to get an 11th game scheduled for the past few months with no takers.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            According to our coach, we have been offering "unprecedented" guarantees to try to get an 11th game scheduled for the past few months with no takers.
            Lock Haven had that open date come up when former division rival Cheyney dropped football at the end of last season. It will probably be a one-off, since there's a rumor that the PSAC East teams (and PSAC West teams who were supposed to play Cheyney in cross-over play) will use that open date to play a Northeast-10 team with the same open date (there's a report that NE-10 member Franklin Pierce will add varsity football as early as next season; Franklin Pierce currently plays 'sprint football' where there's a weight limit for players).

Kingsville will have a heck of a time trying to fill that Week 5 open date as a result of the schedule change as I don't know of too many teams with that common open date.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Lock Haven had that open date come up when former division rival Cheyney dropped football at the end of last season. It will probably be a one-off, since there's a rumor that the PSAC East teams (and PSAC West teams who were supposed to play Cheyney in cross-over play) will use that open date to play a Northeast-10 team with the same open date (there's a report that NE-10 member Franklin Pierce will add varsity football as early as next season; Franklin Pierce currently plays 'sprint football' where there's a weight limit for players).

Kingsville will have a heck of a time trying to fill that Week 5 open date as a result of the schedule change as I don't know of too many teams with that common open date.
              We were originally scheduled to play Kingsville in week 5 with an open date in week one. Kingsville agreed to switch our game to week one, which opened for them when Central Washington dropped them to play at Eastern Washington the first week instead of heading to south Texas. Im guessing Kingsville made out like a bandit on the 2 deals as well.

Comment

That's a good observation. When all this hit the fan with CWU backing out to play their in state rival, I thought the easiest move to try to get an 11th game was to move the opener with NAIA Texas Wesleyan up a week because their were still some teams searching for week two games according to the open dates on the D2 web page. Personally I don't know why our AD took the bait other than the money to move up this game with Commerce. Expectations for the season are kind of low to begin with and starting off the season after coming off a very disappointing season with a butt kicking from the national champs in front a crowd who will still be on cloud nine from their title experience is not going to be good for setting the tone for the rest of the season. But then again the administration is tone deaf when it comes to seeing what the program needs to keep it competitive on the recruiting and marketing part of the game. While almost all of our fellow LSC schools are investing millions into their programs facilities, our does nothing as we become like the Roman Empire of D2 football. Old and aging facilities which tell a great story of once dominant program whose leadership at the top keep on telling the masses it will rise again.

Unless something has been struck with another school for the 11th game and our AD is waiting to release the details, other than some cash, I don't see how this is a positive for TAMUK!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                  That's a good observation. When all this hit the fan with CWU backing out to play their in state rival, I thought the easiest move to try to get an 11th game was to move the opener with NAIA Texas Wesleyan up a week because their were still some teams searching for week two games according to the open dates on the D2 web page. Personally I don't know why our AD took the bait other than the money to move up this game with Commerce. Expectations for the season are kind of low to begin with and starting off the season after coming off a very disappointing season with a butt kicking from the national champs in front a crowd who will still be on cloud nine from their title experience is not going to be good for setting the tone for the rest of the season. But then again the administration is tone deaf when it comes to seeing what the program needs to keep it competitive on the recruiting and marketing part of the game. While almost all of our fellow LSC schools are investing millions into their programs facilities, our does nothing as we become like the Roman Empire of D2 football. Old and aging facilities which tell a great story of once dominant program whose leadership at the top keep on telling the masses it will rise again.

Unless something has been struck with another school for the 11th game and our AD is waiting to release the details, other than some cash, I don't see how this is a positive for TAMUK!
                  Opening in week one and having a bye in week five is way better than not playing week one. That puts you playing a game in week two behind the power curve. Having not played and playing a team with a game already under their belts. If the eleventh game is not secured, it gives you a week to heal and prep for your week six game. Looks like you will be coming off ENMU, then the bye, bebore back to back home games with West Oregon and MSU. That bye after ENMU is valuable, as you will be battered and bruised from those cut block they employ. Getting the Lions in game one, before they get their feet under them and a rythem may be enough to open the door for an upset, if the Hogs approach it right and come to play.

Just some thoughts from an outsider to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ Hawk View Post
                    Opening in week one and having a bye in week five is way better than not playing week one. That puts you playing a game in week two behind the power curve. Having not played and playing a team with a game already under their belts. If the eleventh game is not secured, it gives you a week to heal and prep for your week six game. Looks like you will be coming off ENMU, then the bye, bebore back to back home games with West Oregon and MSU. That bye after ENMU is valuable, as you will be battered and bruised from those cut block they employ. Getting the Lions in game one, before they get their feet under them and a rythem may be enough to open the door for an upset, if the Hogs approach it right and come to play.

Completely agree. While I expect my Lions to win there is certainly more worry about miscommunication in game 1. Last year Luis had multiple picks and no TDs in the opener; the UNA D was part of the cause, but that doesn't explain everything.

And byes are always better after you have played rather than an extra week of only hitting your own teammates.

Comment

Yes, he played a lot. Could have done a 5th year last year as a starter but graduated instead.

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                      Valid points. Did your son get playing time? Chip explained how players can get other scholarship $$ if their coaches are resourceful.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ Hawk View Post
                        Opening in week one and having a bye in week five is way better than not playing week one. That puts you playing a game in week two behind the power curve. Having not played and playing a team with a game already under their belts. If the eleventh game is not secured, it gives you a week to heal and prep for your week six game. Looks like you will be coming off ENMU, then the bye, before back to back home games with West Oregon and MSU. That bye after ENMU is valuable, as you will be battered and bruised from those cut block they employ. Getting the Lions in game one, before they get their feet under them and a rhythm may be enough to open the door for an upset, if the Hogs approach it right and come to play.

I hope you are right! I'm looking at this from a perspective of many false starts over the last decade to use a football analogy with TAMUK and thinking we were on the right path, later to be disappointed. Last season was one of those seasons. So I'm approaching this season with much lower expectations. A butt whooping will pretty much set the tone for the season I'm afraid.

Comment

• 2018 Schedules

Javelinas add New Mexico Highlands to 2018 Schedule

http://www.javelinaathletics.com/new...-schedule.aspx

This is good. Yes I know it's New Mexico Highlands. But they are D2 and it gives us the 11th game (10th D2 opponent and in Region too) which might be critical if we are in the playoff hunt. Big IF right there.
                          Last edited by LSC Fan; 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

This is good. Yes I know it's New Mexico Highlands. But they are D2 and it gives us the 11th game (10th D2 opponent and in Region too) which might be critical if we are in the playoff hunt. Big IF right there.

You are much too old to believe in Santa or any other fairy tales!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HOGSVRR View Post
                              You are much too old to believe in Santa or any other fairy tales!!

Comment

That is really good news.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X