X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WT New Stadium

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Only time will tell.

However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.
    I didn't pay close enough attention to Don's teams at WT back then, but I know Colby has a MUCH higher retention rate than that. We had 17 freshmen play in the National Championship game alone...that's not counting the ones that didn't make the trip. And those freshmen that played weren't just token substitutions here and there. They were CB's left out on an island by themselves, both running backs, a starting WR, starting safety, etc.
    Last edited by LionFan; 01-17-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
      The retention at Commerce is way higher than at WT. I truly believe that is what pushed them over the hump this year
      Agreed. While they share a last name and a lot of character traits, Colby is his own man. For some reason around here, there tends to be this notion that Colby just copied everything that Don did in Commerce and is doing things exactly the same all over again in Commerce. There are a LOT of differences in Don's teams at WT and Colby's teams in Commerce. The blueprints to rebuilding, offensive philosophy, personnel, defensive traits, and player substitutions are VERY, VERY different. Their personalities are also pretty different. I've had the chance to spend a LOT of time around both of them over the last few years and while they're both about as likeable a human being as you will ever meet, they have different coaching styles. I think because of Don's likeable personality and ability to sell anything to anyone at a moment's notice, they assume Colby is the same. He's got some of those traits too, but Colby does NOT mess around. I wish I could go into some of the things he's done in the background to build the culture we've got in Commerce. It'd probably shock some people around here who just assume it's all fun and games in Commerce
      Last edited by LionFan; 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
        Very well put. I hope to see some of the same thinking on display down this way for the 2018 season. It was obvious in many positions on the field we were very much in need, especially on the lines. My goodness for a program that used to crank out a pro prospect routinely on the O-line and to go to what we showed last year was a nightmare. Seriously when we played you guys, we looked like a high school team and a mediocre one at that size and strength wise on that O-line compared to you all.
        You guys will get there, I don't have any doubt. S&C is something that was very overlooked in our success this year. Josh Stoner came in a couple years ago from the SEC and just completely changed things in terms of our strength and quickness.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
          You guys will get there, I don't have any doubt. S&C is something that was very overlooked in our success this year. Josh Stoner came in a couple years ago from the SEC and just completely changed things in terms of our strength and quickness.
          I really hope you are right. Until then I skeptical anything dramatic will happen.

Comment

They initially gave Western Builders date of August 2019 to complete . Don't know much about construction but it seems like they are running out of time .

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
              Agreed. While they share a last name and a lot of character traits, Colby is his own man. For some reason around here, there tends to be this notion that Colby just copied everything that Don did in Commerce and is doing things exactly the same all over again in Commerce. There are a LOT of differences in Don's teams at WT and Colby's teams in Commerce. The blueprints to rebuilding, offensive philosophy, personnel, defensive traits, and player substitutions are VERY, VERY different. Their personalities are also pretty different. I've had the chance to spend a LOT of time around both of them over the last few years and while they're both about as likeable a human being as you will ever meet, they have different coaching styles. I think because of Don's likeable personality and ability to sell anything to anyone at a moment's notice, they assume Colby is the same. He's got some of those traits too, but Colby does NOT mess around. I wish I could go into some of the things he's done in the background to build the culture we've got in Commerce. It'd probably shock some people around here who just assume it's all fun and games in Commerce
              Sounds like ACU might have missed the boat NOT taking Carthel. Texas connections and his ability to recruit would pay dividends for an FCS program. The one thing I would still like to know is how TAMUC has double the coaches of any other LSC school on their roster?

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                Only time will tell.

However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                  Sounds like ACU might have missed the boat NOT taking Carthel. Texas connections and his ability to recruit would pay dividends for an FCS program. The one thing I would still like to know is how TAMUC has double the coaches of any other LSC school on their roster?
                  Money, no limit on coaches. If you got the money you can pay em!
                  I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                    Money, no limit on coaches. If you got the money you can pay em!
                    That, in itself, is a huge advantage! Also, is a big advantage recruiting having several coaches talking to one recruit.

Comment

I just spent three hours tonight watching videos on the QB's, RB's, and WR's WT have offered. Duel threat QB's with speed, RB's with speed and moves (only a couple with size), and some very speedy WR's. I'll start on the OL's and DL's later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                        If Colby has another season like the just completed one, he will be pursued by a number of programs.

Prediction. Texas State will come calling at the end of the upcoming season. They were horrible last year (2-10) with a 20-11 win over Houston Baptist. Oh my...

Edit

And 2-10 in 2016. The trend is not the current regimes friend
                        Last edited by LSC Fan; 01-18-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

If Colby has another season like the just completed one, he will be pursued by a number of programs.

Prediction. Texas State will come calling at the end of the upcoming season. They were horrible last year (2-10) with a 20-11 win over Houston Baptist. Oh my...

Edit

And 2-10 in 2016. The trend is not the current regimes friend
                          I would be shocked if he went to Texas State. Even a bottom FBS school would most likely never hire a D2 coach.

Comment

Originally posted by LSCfan1 View Post
                            I would be shocked if he went to Texas State. Even a bottom FBS school would most likely never hire a D2 coach.
                            Brian Kelly who is now at Norte Dame would disagree with you.

I know a few others have done the leap as well, but can't name them right off the top of my head.

Comment

Brian Kelly who is now at Norte Dame would disagree with you.

I know a few others have done the leap as well, but can't name them right off the top of my head.
                              I like Colby and wish him only the best, but at this point in his career, he is no Brian Kelly. Brian had a few more Natties under his belt than Colby, even if he gets another one next year.

Plus, Kelly did not go directly from GV to ND. Grand Valley to Central Michigan (2004-2006), to Cincinnati (2006-2009), then to ND.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
                                I like Colby and wish him only the best, but at this point in his career, he is no Brian Kelly. Brian had a few more Natties under his belt than Colby, even if he gets another one next year.

I agree, but I qualified my first post stating having another Nattie season in 18 would put him on the radars of more schools than he might be on now. Central Michigan was in a hole similar to what Texas State is in when Kelly took the job. Add in the fact he took Commerce from being a laughing stock to winning a Nattie in a short period. It bodes well for him for even a school like Texas State to take a gamble.

For comparison, Texas States current coach's resume

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coache...&path=football

I would say even with Colby coaching at the lower level, his resume is better.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X