Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UT Tyler moving to D2 and LSC

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    The WT AD told me about 5 years ago, that to compete at the top tier of the Southland, a minimum budget of $14M to $15M would be necessary. That was 5 years ago. I imagine you'd need about $18M today to compete for championships in all sports. WT's budget will be bumping on $11M by 2019. Could WT make the jump financially to a $16M-$18M budget? Not till FB starts winning again. Even then, WT would be at the mercy of the very fickle Amarillo fan base and better than lukewarm but not fantastic business community support. I'd hate to hang my hat on them. If WT hits 15,000 students by 2024 or so, it might be more feasible.

What other LSC schools could pony up a $15M or better budget? If any fans have that kind of info or ideas about it, please post it on here.

Comment

WT has the biggest athletic budget per the Tarleton reports of any school in the LSC.

Comment

When was this report made? Shows WT's endowment at $20 million....WT's endowment is around $72 million.

Comment

NVM found it 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
            The WT AD told me about 5 years ago, that to compete at the top tier of the Southland, a minimum budget of $14M to $15M would be necessary. That was 5 years ago. I imagine you'd need about $18M today to compete for championships in all sports. WT's budget will be bumping on $11M by 2019. Could WT make the jump financially to a $16M-$18M budget? Not till FB starts winning again. Even then, WT would be at the mercy of the very fickle Amarillo fan base and better than lukewarm but not fantastic business community support. I'd hate to hang my hat on them. If WT hits 15,000 students by 2024 or so, it might be more feasible.

What other LSC schools could pony up a $15M or better budget? If any fans have that kind of info or ideas about it, please post it on here.
            Here are some numbers that do not add up. Nicholls State of the Southland show an Athletic Budget of $8 million, endowment of $7+ million and a loss by the University of $56 million last year. So, how does this work in the real world?

Despite the low budget, they are competitive. And, what it does show is that a budget of $8 million is all you need in the Southland Conference to be able to compete. Nicholls finished ahead of SFA in Football, Basketball and Baseball. On the women's side Nicholls basketball, softball and volleyball all finished with winning in conference records. Best conference record in women's softball. Not sure what SFA is spending so much money on.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
              Here are some numbers that do not add up. Nicholls State of the Southland show an Athletic Budget of $8 million, endowment of $7+ million and a loss by the University of $56 million last year. So, how does this work in the real world?

Despite the low budget, they are competitive. And, what it does show is that a budget of $8 million is all you need in the Southland Conference to be able to compete. Nicholls finished ahead of SFA in Football, Basketball and Baseball. On the women's side Nicholls basketball, softball and volleyball all finished with winning in conference records. Best conference record in women's softball. Not sure what SFA is spending so much money on.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                who the hell is that?
                Pretty much Moses. Out of Egypt and into the promised land..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                    If ACU drops the game to Angelo this fall, I am going to have to agree with Herb that D2 coaches may not understand how to coach in D1.
                    Willie Fritz and Brian Kelley have done really well.

Comment

https://geauxcolonels.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=102
                      Last edited by catatonic; 07-20-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I don't know much about their success/failure but I do know that stories about funding issues seem to come up all the time with their name attached. Looking at the data, they look more like a D2 school than an FCS school financially.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          I don't know much about their success/failure but I do know that stories about funding issues seem to come up all the time with their name attached. Looking at the data, they look more like a D2 school than an FCS school financially.
                          Louisiana schools not named LSU are all hurting financially. Nicholls more than most. They hustle every dollar they can by scheduling games against big schools...pay for play...and so forth.

They have done an excellent job with very limited resources. They have done so by focusing the little they have on a few sports rather than spreading limited dollars around.

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                            Louisiana schools not named LSU are all hurting financially. Nicholls more than most. They hustle every dollar they can by scheduling games against big schools...pay for play...and so forth.

They have done an excellent job with very limited resources. They have done so by focusing the little they have on a few sports rather than spreading limited dollars around.
                            I guess those Cajuns don't give a dime about Nichols down in Bayou country.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                              I guess those Cajuns don't give a dime about Nichols down in Bayou country.
                              :smile-big:

Comment

While there are exceptions, D2 coaches usually can't get it done at D1, and that is in all sports. And I suppose the opposite could very well be true. There have been more than a few modestly successful D1 coaches that were awful in D2.

D1 and D2 are very different animals.

Those in athletics administration know this fully; D1 coaching hires from the D2 ranks are not very common, and when they do occur, it is most often a desperate, hail-mary move for a program struggling to stay afloat.

Women's basketball seems to be the only sport where good D2 coaches are consistently able to transfer their prowess to D1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X