Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 WT Season

For the few WT faithful left on here I thought I'd start a thread.

I went thru the roster and this is what I've come up with:

53 Freshmen

12 RS-F

4 Soph

17 RS-Soph

3 Jr

17 RS-Jr

6 Sr

4 RS-Sr

Grad 1

So, the breakdown is:

65 Freshmen
    21 Sophomores
    20 Juniors
    10 Seniors
    1 Graduate

For competing in the LSC, that is an extremely young squad. Typical thinking would say WT is two or three years away from being competitive, if the talent level is good. I don't think that matches Coach Hughes' timetable. My guess is he's planning on seeing solid play this year and building the foundation of his program. I bet he expects to be competing for a championship in 2019. How long before the Buffs get back to top tier LSC level? If the Buffs can do four things, I'd say 2020.

Those four things are:
    1. Great coaching
    2. Great recruiting
    3. Retention of players that can play
    4. A little luck wouldn't hurt

Right now, I think WT will win 3 games this year, 4 with a little luck. If we can be tough enough to make teams have to keep their 2 deep rotations on the field, and not clear the benches, like many did as last year wound down, I'd count 2018 as a good building year.

I think my numbers don't add up so I'll go back and recount. They were right. The roster is obviously not updated. We have probably 10-15 more players than is posted.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-07-2018, 09:44 PM.

Re: 2018 WT Season

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

53 Freshmen

12 RS-F

4 Soph

17 RS-Soph

3 Jr

17 RS-Jr

6 Sr

4 RS-Sr

Grad 1

So, the breakdown is:

65 Freshmen
    21 Sophomores
    20 Juniors
    10 Seniors
    1 Graduate

For competing in the LSC, that is an extremely young squad. Typical thinking would say WT is two or three years away from being competitive if the talent level is good. I don't think that matches Coach Hughes' timetable. My guess is he's planning on seeing solid play this year and building the foundation of his program. I bet he expects to be competing for a championship by next 2019. How long before the Buffs get back to top tier LSC level? If the Buffs can do four things, I'd say 2020.

Those four things are:
    1. Great coaching
    2. Great recruiting

Right now, I think WT will win 3 games this year, 4 with a little luck. If we can be tough enough to make teams have to keep their 2 deep rotations on the field, and not clear the benches, like many did as last year wound down, I'd count 2018 as a good building year.

I think my numbers don't add up so I'll go back and recount. They wee right. The roster is not updated. We have probably 10-15 more players than is posted.
    I thought I kept reading WT posters say one of the key issues last year was lack of depth specifically tied to an unwillingness to burn redshirts. If so, why are there only 12 RS freshman? Did a bunch not return? Or was 12 the total number from last year?

Or was that not the issue at all?

Comment

Is WT changing their helmet color to White?

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
        I thought I kept reading WT posters say one of the key issues last year was lack of depth specifically tied to an unwillingness to burn redshirts. If so, why are there only 12 RS freshman? Did a bunch not return? Or was 12 the total number from last year?

If they signed 24/25 scholarship fr in 2017, that does not sound odd at all. 50% retention of fr is not bad at all. That is usually a lot better than general population.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post
          I heard pink:smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post

About half of the freshman class left. With the 4 that played last year and the redshirts that would be 16. Not bad considering they stunk. Talent was the main issue along with no depth at the positions that were strong

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post
              Looks that way. Will be different to say the least

Comment

If I was WT brass I would be disappointed with anything less than a winning season. I mean, I get the rebuilding and all, but if you can't post at least a winning season in year two, I don't see that as progress. I'm not saying you fire the guy if he doesn't post a winning season, but that translates into some pretty slow progress. By now, there should be at least a few things clicking the right way. This is the second signing class.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                  If I was WT brass I would be disappointed with anything less than a winning season. I mean, I get the rebuilding and all, but if you can't post at least a winning season in year two, I don't see that as progress. I'm not saying you fire the guy if he doesn't post a winning season, but that translates into some pretty slow progress. By now, there should be at least a few things clicking the right way. This is the second signing class.
                  It must be nice to have short term memory. He purged the roster. He got out his Hillary reset button and actually pushed it. Ground Zero ring a bell. It takes time to restock, rebuild, etc. Chip is on the money on this. 4-5 wins will be overachieving.

Comment

Hughes wasn't hired till first week in Dec. Had to put a staff together. No Texas ties with HS coaches. Got in real late with recruiting. They got a few good kids but a lot of ones that had already been picked over. I wouldn't put too much stock in his first recruiting class overall. They still retained 12 that are players.

His second class will either be the foundation for future success or.......

I see on twitter, they are already making offers to players for this fall.

And the WT brass have given Hughes time to build from the ground up. They are looking for solid improvement on the field this year, a winning season next year (this year would be a bonus), and competing for a championship by 2020. Buffs are one more good recruiting class away from hitting that 2020 goal, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                      It must be nice to have short term memory. He purged the roster. He got out his Hillary reset button and actually pushed it. Ground Zero ring a bell. It takes time to restock, rebuild, etc. Chip is on the money on this. 4-5 wins will be overachieving.
                      He purged the roster of all the players he signed last year?

Comment

53 Freshmen

12 RS-F

4 Soph

17 RS-Soph

3 Jr

17 RS-Jr

6 Sr

4 RS-Sr

Grad 1

So, the breakdown is:

65 Freshmen
                        21 Sophomores
                        20 Juniors
                        10 Seniors
                        1 Graduate

For competing in the LSC, that is an extremely young squad. Typical thinking would say WT is two or three years away from being competitive, if the talent level is good. I don't think that matches Coach Hughes' timetable. My guess is he's planning on seeing solid play this year and building the foundation of his program. I bet he expects to be competing for a championship in 2019. How long before the Buffs get back to top tier LSC level? If the Buffs can do four things, I'd say 2020.

Those four things are:
                        1. Great coaching
                        2. Great recruiting

I think my numbers don't add up so I'll go back and recount. They were right. The roster is obviously not updated. We have probably 10-15 more players than is posted.
                        Any idea why Warren Witherspoon isn't on the roster? He did a decent job for us last year.

I'm hoping we have a lot more production from the QB position this year. Maybe one of those California transfers will work out.

Comment

He purged the roster of all the players he signed last year?
                          No. Don't be obtuse, Herb.

They retained 12 freshmen. Also some upperclassmen who were "redshirted" for injuries and academics.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                            Any idea why Warren Witherspoon isn't on the roster? He did a decent job for us last year.

I'm hoping we have a lot more production from the QB position this year. Maybe one of those California transfers will work out.
                            I really liked what I saw of Mitch Hood today. Played juco, then at Mississippi State, where, I believe, he redshirted. Big kid 6'5 @215. Good arm, some mobility, I hear he has leadership skills. I talked with several teammates today. They all said he's the real deal and seemed enthusiastic about playing with him at the helm. Back-up QB fight will be between Lemon-Rodriguez and Houghtaling.

I watched the freshman Perez work with the receiver corps while the 1's and 2's were running pass plays against the LB's and secondary. Give him two years understudy and we've got a three year stud at QB, IMO, perfect for the offense. 6'4, 240 he runs like a RB, looks very athletic. Arm is better than average. Needs work on his accuracy and consistency. Both arm strength and accuracy should improve a lot in two years. He played on a run first team in HS and rushed and passed for over 1,000 yards last year. If QB doesn't work out, he could be a helluva TE with another 30 pounds!
                            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-08-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

No. Don't be obtuse, Herb.

They retained 12 freshmen. Also some upperclassmen who were "redshirted" for injuries and academics.
                              easy now. the only thing i get is the online edition of the Amarillo "Globe" (haha right), so cut me some slack.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X