X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT Tyler Officially joins the LSC

http://www.lonestarconference.org/ne...r-in-2019.aspx

Re: UT Tyler Officially joins the LSC

Welcome to the Lone Star club! Celebrate with an ice cold Lone Star if it is still brewed.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
      Welcome to the Lone Star club! Celebrate with an ice cold Lone Star if it is still brewed.
      I had a draft Lone Star a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        I had a draft Lone Star a few weeks ago.
        Funny you mention Lone Star. I was in Austin a few weeks ago and went to some of the downtown water holes. You know Austin and and number of other Texas locales are into craft beer scene in a big way. The places we went to were pretty diverse as far as the age of people who were partaking of adult beverages and I saw quite a few people walking around with cans of Lone Star. I mean some of these places had tap after tap of beer choices from the local and regional craft breweries as well as the current national beer of Texas, Shiner along with numerous Mexican beer choices and people were drinking Lone Star. Back in my day, Lone Star was considered a cheap way to accomplish the "goal" much like a case of Milwaukee's Best or Schaefers. Did I miss where Lone Star became hip and fashionable again?

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
          Funny you mention Lone Star. I was in Austin a few weeks ago and went to some of the downtown water holes. You know Austin and and number of other Texas locales are into craft beer scene in a big way. The places we went to were pretty diverse as far as the age of people who were partaking of adult beverages and I saw quite a few people walking around with cans of Lone Star. I mean some of these places had tap after tap of beer choices from the local and regional craft breweries as well as the current national beer of Texas, Shiner along with numerous Mexican beer choices and people were drinking Lone Star. Back in my day, Lone Star was considered a cheap way to accomplish the "goal" much like a case of Milwaukee's Best or Schaefers. Did I miss where Lone Star became hip and fashionable again?
          Yep. You missed it. Lone Star's an okay beer, light with some flavor. and a bit of a salty finish good for a hot day. I've been reading lately where craft brews are suffering somewhat. There's a place in Canyon that serves $2 cans of Hamms on their Wed happy hour.
          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-14-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
            Being in Austin, the capital of the Republic of Texas, I would imagine that it is a real mecca for craft beers. I guess having a Lone Star would be like a novelty.

Comment

Yep. You missed it. Lone Star's an okay beer, light with some flavor. and a bit of a salty finish good for a hot day. I've been reading lately where craft brews are suffering somewhat. There's a place in Canyon that serves $2 cans of Hamms on their Wed happy hour.
              An interesting coincidence. I was in Pueblo a couple of months ago with a friend & we stopped at a tavern downtown. What was on their beer selection - $2 cans of Hamms beer. It was OK for a thirst quencher, but I still prefer our Craft Beers here in CO which are tops. Can't believe that craft beers are not popular down in the Lone Star state or at least in the Panhandle.

Comment

I was in a bar last week which about 50 craft beers and a can of Hamms was $1, and it was still overpriced.

Comment

Being in Austin, the capital of the Republic of Texas, I would imagine that it is a real mecca for craft beers. I guess having a Lone Star would be like a novelty.
                  On our last trip to Austin, five weeks ago, our daughter and son-in-law took us to a new place called Brewtorium. Those guys know what the hell they are doing when it comes to brewing beer. I had the best Mexican lager I've ever had. Also a sublime Hefeweizen. It's just off of N Lamar and south of Koenig in an old repurposed warehouse. Highly recommended.
                  Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-14-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanFan View Post
                    I was in a bar last week which about 50 craft beers and a can of Hamms was $1, and it was still overpriced.
                    Hamms reminds me of the summer of '71. My Army dad was stationed in Minnesota. We lived in St.Cloud. I was home from WT that summer, after my freshman year, recuperating from (another) knee surgery. I'd go to local bars and have an occasional Hamms. I preferred another local brew call Grain Belt.
                    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-14-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

An interesting coincidence. I was in Pueblo a couple of months ago with a friend & we stopped at a tavern downtown. What was on their beer selection - $2 cans of Hamms beer. It was OK for a thirst quencher, but I still prefer our Craft Beers here in CO which are tops. Can't believe that craft beers are not popular down in the Lone Star state or at least in the Panhandle.
                      Craft is popular in Texas. All you need to do is go into a grocery store or even a convenience stores like a Circle K or 7/11 and you see quite a few craft/independent beers in the refrigerator. Heck at my local Specs, the Texas beer section is almost as big as the Mexican Beer section which is saying something because Mexican beer is very popular here in Texas . It would probably even be more popular if our state legislature would stop caving to Big Beer/Liquor and reform the distribution laws.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/05...uor-interests/

Maybe it was free Lone Star Beer weekend in Austin a few weeks ago and I missed the secret code or password to get mine.:laugh:

Comment

They are. However, I read recently in the WSJ, craft beer growth has wained. The curve has flattened and industry predictions are for little to no craft beer growth, perhaps even a slight decline. Millennials are moving away from beer and more into wine and, especially, spirits.

The local liquor store I frequent in Amarillo, probably carries 100 craft beers in bottle and cans. I can take you to a couple dozen places in Amarillo/Canyon and find anywhere from 10 to 100 craft brews on tap. The Imperial Taproom in Canyon was recently singled out as the top craft emporium in the State of Texas. I believe it was Beer Advocate that was picking out the best craft beer place in each of the 50 states.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-14-2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

On our last trip to Austin, five weeks ago, our daughter and son-in-law took us to a new place called Brewtorium. Those guys know what the hell they are doing when it comes to brewing beer. I had the best Mexican lager I've ever had. Also a sublime Hefeweizen. It's just off of N Lamar and Koenig in an old repurposed warehouse. Highly recommended.
                          On the must go to list when I go up to see UT vs USC. I hear it's a cool joint.

Comment

if you are ever near loveland co you have to try their imperial stout!
                            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Hamms reminds me of the summer of '71. My Army dad was stationed in Minnesota. We lived in St.Cloud. I was home from WT that summer, after my freshman year, recuperating from (another) knee surgery. I'd go to local bars and have an occasional Hamms. I preferred another local brew call Grain Belt.
                              Grain Belt is still around, and still not a bad option.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X