Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commerce @ENMU

Those of us who want to give Wilson a Shot...We are NOT saying that our coaches are clueless. Furthest thing from it. They are national champions and the best at what they do, just because we have a disagreement with a thing here or there does mean that we think the coaches have no clue. We are fans, and are going to have opinions, and not all of them are going to be in lockstep with the coaches. If Wilson was given a chance and sucked it up, well I will take my crow served very well. We just saw this hype coming out of Wilson and maybe a lot of us are just disappointed that is not what we have been hoping for.

That being said, if our coaches believe that Preston Wheeler is who we need to go to war with, then we support them. If it turns into a dumpster fire, I am sure they will make the changes that are necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLionWire View Post
      Those of us who want to give Wilson a Shot...We are NOT saying that our coaches are clueless. Furthest thing from it. They are national champions and the best at what they do, just because we have a disagreement with a thing here or there does mean that we think the coaches have no clue. We are fans, and are going to have opinions, and not all of them are going to be in lockstep with the coaches. If Wilson was given a chance and sucked it up, well I will take my crow served very well. We just saw this hype coming out of Wilson and maybe a lot of us are just disappointed that is not what we have been hoping for.

That being said, if our coaches believe that Preston Wheeler is who we need to go to war with, then we support them. If it turns into a dumpster fire, I am sure they will make the changes that are necessary.

Comment

This is giving me bad flashbacks of the Taylor Potts/Steven Sheffield battles at Tech. LOL. Sticks was the better QB and he proved it.

Comment

This is giving me bad flashbacks of the Taylor Potts/Steven Sheffield battles at Tech. LOL. Sticks was the better QB and he proved it.
          Keep in mind, In Luis Perez's 4th game as a starter 2 years ago against Kingsville he went in 3-0. His line for that game was 10-19 for 133 yards. If I remember right, the coaches stuck with him and he got better. A little better. Barely got better.

Comment

Yep, Steven torched Nebraska in Lincoln.

Comment

This is what a lot of us Lion Fans do not get about the QB situation. We genuinely DO NOT KNOW the following.

Preston Wheeler has very little prior experience to this. He has played in some mop up duty, but nothing serious. His last serious playing time was in high school. He may "know" the offense better than everyone else, but how does that stamp the seal of approval?

Kane Wilson is a known play maker. He was considering going to BYU (who defeated a top 10 yesterday) on scholarship after last year. He won a national title as a JUCO QB and was All-American. We have film on him, we know what he can do, and he would have been a Division I QB had he not had some off field issues early in his career.

So if you put YOUR BEST player out there, a 22 year old kid who has not had meaningful snaps since high school is better than a 26 year old who was Division I material out of high school, a JUCO All-American and National JUCO Champion and had DI schools come after him after his JUCO days?

Again, I really want to know, WHY? I just don't see the argument made for starting Wheeler, but again, I hope I am wrong.
              There is a reason this didn't happen. Kids don't pass up D1 scholarship money to come to a D2 regardless of how good the D2 team is...just doesn't happen. There is a reason he isn't at BYU. I don't know what that is, but there is something there

Comment

This may not apply in this case as I don't know anything about either player and there is a lot more to picking a starting QB than just talent, but in general:

Juco accolades and successes often do not translate into success at the NCAA level. More than not if they don't get picked up by a DI school they probably aren't good enough to start at the DII level. Juco athletes are highly sought after because everyone has holes to the fill so they often end up at a level they simply don't have the skill set to compete at.

Juco players that would be great group of 5 players end up getting a power 5 offer
                Juco players that would be great FCS players end up getting a group of 5 offer
                Juco Players that would be great DII players up up getting a FCS offer and sadly....
                Juco Players that that don't have the ability to play DII end up getting DII offers.

Obviously there are some exceptions and players that for one reason or another don't qualify to go DI (those generally are the ones that make the biggest impact at the DII level). If a kid can go DI and has been passed on by every DI school he probably isn't going to make much of an impact at the DII level.
                Last edited by DIIguru; 09-17-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Nvm

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
                    This may not apply in this case as I don't know anything about either player and there is a lot more to picking a starting QB than just talent, but in general:

Juco accolades and successes often do not translate into success at the NCAA level. More than not if they don't get picked up by a DI school they probably aren't good enough to start at the DII level. Juco athletes are highly sought after because everyone has holes to the fill so they often end up at a level they simply don't have the skill set to compete at.

Juco players that would be great group of 5 players end up getting a power 5 offer
                    Juco players that would be great FCS players end up getting a group of 5 offer
                    Juco Players that would be great DII players up up getting a FCS offer and sadly....
                    Juco Players that that don't have the ability to play DII end up getting DII offers.

Obviously there are some exceptions and players that for one reason or another don't qualify to go DI (those generally are the ones that make the biggest impact at the DII level). If a kid can go DI and has been passed on by every DI school he probably isn't going to make much of an impact at the DII level.
                    Obviously there are exceptions, but in general most juco's aren't as big of an impact sa fans would hope for. A lot of that has to do with the fact that many of them don't get in the program until Fall of their junior year and they have to learn an entirely new system. If they contribute much at all it is in their last year.

On the other hand you can find some good kids that transfer down from DI or FCS. Many times they still have three years left and should have been in DII to begin with.

Again, there are obviously exceptions to this rule.

Comment

This is a genuine question, when was the last time that a JUCO QB came in and from Day 1 was THE GUY? I know we have brought in several JUCO QB's but they generally take at least 1 year to get going.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                        This is a genuine question, when was the last time that a JUCO QB came in and from Day 1 was THE GUY? I know we have brought in several JUCO QB's but they generally take at least 1 year to get going.
                        No idea. Even Perez took a redshirt his first year at TAMUC.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X