Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NM Highlands vs Hogs

This is very good. I'll be the first to plead guilty for wanting us to get the heck out of this rut and at times being a Drama Queen about it. If you all want to pound me to the ground and beat me for a punsihment, go ahead.

The last decade, on balance, has sucked. With a few exceptions, it's been hard to watch. To see a program that has produced NFL greats (three of them are in the NFL HOF) and a long list of All Americans that would put many D1 schools to shame, it's been downright depressing and one has to wonder if it's a recoverable situation. Imagine if you were a Bama fan with all the success of the last decade and half and all the sudden it all grinds to a halt. Or a NDSU fan at the FCS level. I know the Javs do not have the national championships to their names from the 80's 90s' or early 2000's. But we had an indentity during that time frame and before which placed us in the elite with those who won D2 titles like the Pitt State, UNA, NDSU, NWMSU, Valdosta, etc. It was rare not to see us in the Top 10 polls come year ending or in the preseason polls as well and staying there.

We can only hope our new AD, who I think starts Oct 1, in conjunction with the current President and the incoming President will execute a solid plan to get us out of this hole. I don't think any of us are under any grand illusions that it will be a easy or quick process. Nor do any of us think we will go back to Steinke, Harms and Cundiff days. The dynamics across the D2 football spectrum have changed dramtically since those days as has the University itself. But we can be competetive once again in the world we live in and it's time to make the next decade ours.

I'm willing to do my part in time and $$$ once the plan is revealed.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 09-30-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      This is very good. I'll be the first to plead guilty for wanting us to get the heck out of this rut and at times being a Drama Queen about it. If you all want to pound me to the ground and beat me for a punsihment, go ahead.

The last decade, on balance, has sucked. With a few exceptions, it's been hard to watch. To see a program that has produced NFL greats (three of them are in the NFL HOF) and a long list of All Americans that would put many D1 schools to shame, it's been downright depressing and one has to wonder if it's a recoverable situation. Imagine if you were a Bama fan with all the success of the last decade and half and all the sudden it all grinds to a halt. Or a NDSU fan at the FCS level. I know the Javs do not have the national championships to their names from the 80's 90s' or early 2000's. But we had an indentity during that time frame and before which placed us in the elite with those who won D2 titles like the Pitt State, UNA, NDSU, NWMSU, Valdosta, etc. It was rare not to see us in the Top 10 polls come year ending or in the preseason polls as well and staying there.

We can only hope our new AD, who I think starts Oct 1, in conjunction with the current President and the incoming President will execute a solid plan to get us out of this hole. I don't think any of us are under any grand illusions that it will be a easy or quick process. Nor do any of us think we will go back to Steinke, Harms and Cundiff days. The dynamics across the D2 football spectrum have changed dramtically since those days as has the University itself. But we can be competetive once again in the world we live in and it's time to make the next decade ours.

I'm willing to do my part in time and $$$ once the plan is revealed.
      Agree with your post and what HOGSVRR said. The last 14 years have sucked and this is the longest streak of losing seasons in this program's history. The only thing I disagree with is your comment (bolded). I agree it won't happen over night, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't go back to the type of program that is consistently in the NC discussion. Schools in all levels have built those kind of programs and I have every expectation we should strive for that as well. In D1, it's been 'Bama, in FCS, it's been North Dakota State, in D2 it's been NWM, in D3, it's been Mount Union. I'm not saying it will happen, but that is the expectation I want for our program.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
        Agree with your post and what HOGSVRR said. The last 14 years have sucked and this is the longest streak of losing seasons in this program's history. The only thing I disagree with is your comment (bolded). I agree it won't happen over night, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't go back to the type of program that is consistently in the NC discussion. Schools in all levels have built those kind of programs and I have every expectation we should strive for that as well. In D1, it's been 'Bama, in FCS, it's been North Dakota State, in D2 it's been NWM, in D3, it's been Mount Union. I'm not saying it will happen, but that is the expectation I want for our program.

That was more along the lines we won't be getting the quantity of raw athletic talent we had back in those days. The academic standards both at the school and set forth by the NCAA have made it a little more difficult vs back in the day. Whatever needs to be done on the coaching level needs to include reevaluating where we focus on recruiting. Personally I think we need to focus more on the Houston and other metro areas , the JUCO's and less on South Texas ( SA to the RGV). The diamonds in the rough down in these parts are not a plentiful as they once where or they get better offers from schools elsewhere where they have all the boxes checked as far as facilities, winning, etc. . But then again, all of that will be an issue even with potential recruits from other areas until we address.
        Last edited by LSC Fan; 10-02-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOGSVRR View Post
          Losing is a desease
          Said in a Judge Chamberlain Haller voice:

"Uh....uh...A what? What was that word? Did you say "desease?"

"What is a desease?"

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
            Said in a Judge Chamberlain Haller voice:

"Uh....uh...A what? What was that word? Did you say "desease?"