Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst calls by officials in LSC

Feel free to add others here but lets share in our struggles to see good officiating in our beloved conference!
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Re: Worst calls by officials in LSC

Last week an ENMU lineman was called for clipping, at the LOS. Ive heard of recievers getting called for that comming from the outside in, but never a lineman.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
      Last week an ENMU lineman was called for clipping, at the LOS. Ive heard of recievers getting called for that comming from the outside in, but never a lineman.
      Was this the UTPB game?

I checked the play-by-play for the game and did not see any clipping penalties. There were 3 Illegal Block penalties.

Here is the rule exceptions for clipping. Note that clipping is not allowed unless it is one of the exceptions.

ARTICLE 5. Clipping

There shall be no clipping (Rule 2-5).

Exceptions:

Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the free-blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) legally may clip in the free-blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions:

A player in the free-blocking zone may not block an opponent with the force of the initial contact from behind and at or below the knee.

A player on the line of scrimmage within the free-blocking zone may not leave the zone and return and legally clip.

The free-blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule 2-3-6).

When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed himself in intent and direction or movement.

When a player attempts to reach a ball carrier or simulated ball carrier or legally attempts to recover or catch a fumble, a backward pass, a kick or a touched forward pass, he may push an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks (Rule 9-3-6 Exception 3).

When an eligible player behind the neutral zone pushes an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks to get to a forward pass (Rule 9-3-6 Exception 5).

Clipping is allowed against the ball carrier or simulated ball carrier.
      Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 11-01-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
        Was this the UTPB game?

I checked the play-by-play for the game and did not see any clipping penalties. There were 3 Illegal Block penalties.

Here is the rule exceptions for clipping. Note that clipping is not allowed unless it is one of the exceptions.

ARTICLE 5. Clipping

There shall be no clipping (Rule 2-5).

Exceptions:

Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the free-blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) legally may clip in the free-blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions:

A player in the free-blocking zone may not block an opponent with the force of the initial contact from behind and at or below the knee.

A player on the line of scrimmage within the free-blocking zone may not leave the zone and return and legally clip.

The free-blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule 2-3-6).

When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed himself in intent and direction or movement.

When a player attempts to reach a ball carrier or simulated ball carrier or legally attempts to recover or catch a fumble, a backward pass, a kick or a touched forward pass, he may push an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks (Rule 9-3-6 Exception 3).

When an eligible player behind the neutral zone pushes an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks to get to a forward pass (Rule 9-3-6 Exception 5).

Clipping is allowed against the ball carrier or simulated ball carrier.
        They said clipping, i didnt see it happen but it was a quick dive so its pretty hard to get a cut block to the back of the knee right off.

Comment

They said clipping, i didnt see it happen but it was a quick dive so its pretty hard to get a cut block to the back of the knee right off.
          I would hazard a guess and say that the PA announcer got the signal wrong. The play-by-play did not list any clipping calls. The fact that you didn't see it happen makes me wonder how you can opine on it being a bad call.

Comment

I would hazard a guess and say that the PA announcer got the signal wrong. The play-by-play did not list any clipping calls. The fact that you didn't see it happen makes me wonder how you can opine on it being a bad call.
            The miked up white hat said clipping. swiped 1 hand at the back of his knee for clipping.

It was a quick dive up the middle, play took less than 3 seconds.

Clipping is from behind, below the knee on initial contact if its by a lineman the physics of that is nearly impossible within 2-3 seconds.

Anyway this was a roast the refs thread feel free to add your own story!

Comment

The miked up white hat said clipping. swiped 1 hand at the back of his knee for clipping.

It was a quick dive up the middle, play took less than 3 seconds.

Clipping is from behind, below the knee on initial contact if its by a lineman the physics of that is nearly impossible within 2-3 seconds.

Anyway this was a roast the refs thread feel free to add your own story!
              Officials miss calls. No doubt. Sorry I turned this into a "rip the fan" thread.

I officiate HS football in Montana. I have done this for 15 years. I have a first round playoff game tonight, one that I will travel over 200 miles RT in order to officiate. I have feel good about doing it. It gives me a sense of giving back since I was lucky enough to have people take time to do this for me. For whatever reason, the intensity of fans has increased markedly. It would be nice if one time, we thanked officials for what they do. I could go on and on about stories and misunderstandings by parents and fans, but that would not be constructive. I don't know of many officials that "do it for the money". Frankly, officiating is not a great way to make money!

/rant

Comment

Officials miss calls. No doubt. Sorry I turned this into a "rip the fan" thread.

I officiate HS football in Montana. I have done this for 15 years. I have a first round playoff game tonight, one that I will travel over 200 miles RT in order to officiate. I have feel good about doing it. It gives me a sense of giving back since I was lucky enough to have people take time to do this for me. For whatever reason, the intensity of fans has increased markedly. It would be nice if one time, we thanked officials for what they do. I could go on and on about stories and misunderstandings by parents and fans, but that would not be constructive. I don't know of many officials that "do it for the money". Frankly, officiating is not a great way to make money!

/rant
                I always try to thank my officials!

I get ya now! Your right some of us get too wound up!

NM has a massive shortage of officials for football right now.

Please feel free to include rudest/stupid fan or coach story here too!

Comment

I always try to thank my officials!

I get ya now! Your right some of us get too wound up!

NM has a massive shortage of officials for football right now.

Please feel free to include rudest/stupid fan or coach story here too!
                  We have a horrible shortage in Montana as well. Our overage age is now 62. When I started we had 67 in our pool. We are down to 46.

I tell my friends that if you are going to heckle me, use something original. "You suck" has been uttered many thousands of times. Bring something good!

I white hatted a sub varsity game several years back, 9AM start on a Saturday (after a varsity game the night before that involved a 2 hour drive back home). On the last play of the game, a team scored a TD to close within the PAT of tying the game. Kicker missed the kick. A group of parents followed us to our vehicles, berating us the entire time. I turned around and said that there would be no good outcome for anyone if they came closer. I mean, this is Montana; what do you think we have in our pickup trucks?

Good job on thanking your officials. And good job to you for coaching!

Comment

Basically the entire Tarleton/Commerce game this year. Before anyone starts crying, that's not why we lost the game, but it was pretty brutal. There's about 20 to choose from.

I remember 2 years ago against WNMU, we were kicking off 5 yards back due to a penalty. We onside kicked the ball, but they flagged us because it didn't go ten yards. The problem is, it DID go ten yards, they forgot we were kicking from 5 yards further back because of a penalty. Somehow they refused to allow it and WNMU got the ball at the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                      Basically the entire Tarleton/Commerce game this year. Before anyone starts crying, that's not why we lost the game, but it was pretty brutal. There's about 20 to choose from.

I remember 2 years ago against WNMU, we were kicking off 5 yards back due to a penalty. We onside kicked the ball, but they flagged us because it didn't go ten yards. The problem is, it DID go ten yards, they forgot we were kicking from 5 yards further back because of a penalty. Somehow they refused to allow it and WNMU got the ball at the spot.
                      Our last home game(high school) other team tackled one of our guys going for a pass, PI hslf the distance we are at the 21, they put it on the 16.....Said something to them blank stare, white hat starts counting down we have to run the play. We were up by 20+ so we arent going to waste a time out in it, we score anyway. After series is over back judge comes over and apologizes, only time i had that happen!

Refs make it fun sometimes. Ive been on the positive side of alot of calls too.

Comment

Comment

Something about WNMU makes refs forget math. Last Saturday, WNMU has the ball on their 1 yard line. They get a false start, so move the ball back 1/2 yard. Then we get two 5 yard penalties.... and the refs give them a first down.
                          Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

My pick for the Tarleton game was when one of our guys casually tossed the ball back over his shoulder and there was an official a few feet behind him & the ball hit him in the face so he called a 15 yd unsportsmanlike on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                              I watched the Lion Texan game Lion Mustang game and the Mustang Texan game. The officiating IMO was good in all three games. Yeah a few calls were missed but I expect that in any game I watch. But, for anyone to say the refs were slanted in these games or trying to determine the outcome that is just false.

Blatant calls yes. Flag the players that are blatantly committing the penalties. Otherwise let the players and coaching determine the outcome.
                              This is my gripe. Or when one team has a such a disparity in a game, it's obvious something is going on. A few weeks ago, Texas had 110 yards in penalties to K-State's 0 (zero). I'm sorry, but with the speed in today's game, it's virtually impossible for a team to make it through a whole game with at least one or two penalties not being called. Because like you said, the O line holds on almost every play and you would think based on averages, every team will get called at least once or twice for a hold.

The penalties that really get under my skin are the ones that are called that have absolutely no impact on the play such as block in the back on a punt or kick off return when block takes place no where close to where the ball action is. But, because it occurred right in front of a side judge , out comes the flag. Same with what is considered pass interference. Some Ref crews will allow the DB's and WR's practically play Twister and then somewhere in the game, they will throw a flag on a DB for just looking at the WR. You either call it or don't call it at all.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X