• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Bowl Games...

Popcorn Time! :laugh:

Comment

And Angelo State and and Ark-Montecello both at 6-5. As a matter of fact, Midwestern had better records than all of the teams that are going. Of course, they might have felt like WTAMU and decided against playing in a bowl.

Comment

Good luck to Angelo State.

Comment

FWIW, the Live United Bowl in Texarkana will feature Southern Arkansas vs. Missouri Western.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
              Of course, they might have felt like WTAMU and decided against playing in a bowl.
              I think that is your answer right there.
              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

And Angelo State and and Ark-Montecello both at 6-5. As a matter of fact, Midwestern had better records than all of the teams that are going. Of course, they might have felt like WTAMU and decided against playing in a bowl.
                Listening to Coach Maskills radio show last night, it did not sound like they were contacted to participate in a bowl. His answer to the question about bowl selection was roughly, that everyone thought MSU would be in the playoffs and made their selections accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ Hawk View Post
                  Listening to Coach Maskills radio show last night, it did not sound like they were contacted to participate in a bowl. His answer to the question about bowl selection was roughly, that everyone thought MSU would be in the playoffs and made their selections accordingly.
                  Yes this was my assumption as well. The bowl committees probably did not want to risk burning bridges with the teams that had already verbally agreeed to. I wonder if the bowls will start waiting until AFTER the playoff selections to officially invite teams from now on.

I would of have loved to see a Midwestern vs MIAA matchup like against Pitt State.

Comment

Which begs the question.... Why couldn't these bowl games wait until after the brackets were announced to issue invites? Anyone who has followed the D2 scene, even for a short period of time knows to expect the unexpected when it comes to playoffs. If I am one of the organizers, I'd put a list of schools on standby and prioritize it and tell the teams who are on it, the what if scenarios. I would of put MSU on my list as the number one team with these bowls only because we've seen some very good two loss teams stay home in past. Either that or maybe the conference can require the bowls have a tie in to take the next team up who doesn't make the playoffs?

Comment

Not saying that is wrong, but I heard from a person in a position of authority at Angelo State (one who actually spoke with the bowl representatives and would be in a position to know) that the bowl representative said they had reached out to Midwestern but did not get a response. Of course that contact (from the bowl representative) might not have included Coach Maskill, or it's always possible the bowl representative could have been untruthful, or the person I was speaking to could have been in error as to what they heard.

Trust me I know a lot gets lost in the translation. After all, I am relating what I heard from an individual, who heard from another individual, what that third individual supposedly did. If that's not reliable, I don't know what is!! (Insert sarcasm emoji here.)

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        Which begs the question.... Why couldn't these bowl games wait until after the brackets were announced to issue invites? Anyone who has followed the D2 scene, even for a short period of time knows to expect the unexpected when it comes to playoffs. If I am one of the organizers, I'd put a list of schools on standby and prioritize it and tell the teams who are on it, the what if scenarios. I would of put MSU on my list as the number one team with these bowls only because we've seen some very good two loss teams stay home in past. Either that or maybe the conference can require the bowls have a tie in to take the next team up who doesn't make the playoffs?
                        Quit making sense! It hurts my brain!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Comment

Not saying that is wrong, but I heard from a person in a position of authority at Angelo State (one who actually spoke with the bowl representatives and would be in a position to know) that the bowl representative said they had reached out to Midwestern but did not get a response. Of course that contact (from the bowl representative) might not have included Coach Maskill, or it's always possible the bowl representative could have been untruthful, or the person I was speaking to could have been in error as to what they heard.

Trust me I know a lot gets lost in the translation. After all, I am relating what I heard from an individual, who heard from another individual, what that third individual supposedly did. If that's not reliable, I don't know what is!! (Insert sarcasm emoji here.)

Comment

To me this would be a much simpler and immediate fix to do at the conference level. Make it policy, whomever is the next best team up after the playoff selections are made gets priority and so on. And they can not publicly or privately accept an invite before the playoff selections. And it would benefit each of the three bowl games located here in Texas or right across the border in Arky land to just wait to see if they could get an LSC team in that slot because the interest would be there vs some of the teams they picked for this year's slate. This isn't the big boy league bowl frenzy for crying out loud.

And I agree with his assessments on how MSU got to where they are today and the multiple hoops D2 teams have to go through verses how D3 and D-1AA pick their playoff brackets. I hate to say it, but it makes D2 really look like a participation ribbon tourney because whomever the pointy heads who were put in charge of formulating the current structure were intent on having teams participate who might not of even had a chance a years ago because they played either in cupcake conferences or cupcake schedules. Back in the day, even more very good two or three loss teams would of been out in the cold under this structure. I just don't get why they are so damn stuck on the in region stuff now. They went from giving more credit to schools just playing D2 schools no matter where on the map they are located, to being very nit picky about who they play. I guess a positive about being stuck in sucksville (TAMUK) is you don't have to worry about being pissed off about this stuff because it would probably ruffle my feathers.
                              Last edited by LSC Fan; 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X