Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual enrollment students are no longer counted. Should not have much of an impact on total hours.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post
      Drove down to see the game, here is "spectator's opinion:

1. Team does have, in fact, very good talent... good depth, good size, some highly skilled players...

2. Issue is going to be coaching: can the coaches perform now that they, IMO, have the talent...

3. Great run defense, again, getting killed by the long bombs..., and turnover ratio (0 to 5), destroyed any momentum we had...

4. Wrong coaches call on QB, finally went to Dyal in second half and he did a great job, need to make him the starter from here on out...

5. Not sure what is wrong with running game, but 89Hog got it right..., plus, again on paper, we have two kids on redshirt who had great HS careers, if we want to get more competative, why are they not going to be active this year as opposed to next..... IMO our OLine is better, but somehow they do not "attack", too much standing upright and
      trying to use big bodies (medium size bodies?) to brush block rather than attack. Needs to change immediately.

6. Also, since Dyal had better HS stats that Manziel did at Tivy, including running (?), I say once again, we need to start putting in some run/pass option plays and get Dyal outside. He went out side several times, but it was running for his life rather than designed plays it looked like. Plus, coaches need to let him run...even if dangerous, he can run and slide...there were several instances where he could have made 5, 7, 10 yards if he had just tucked the ball and ran...he could be an exciting runner if turned loose...

7. All in all, after reflecting, if we change out our QB, and cut the turnover ratio down substantially, we can win a lot of our games... going to be up to the coaches to make the changes, quick, or otherwise the samo, samo.

lantana

Turnovers, no run game, and a few costly pass coverage missed assignments. Also, several newcomers did not suit up. We should start seeing them in the very near future.

Dyal certainly looked much better at QB.
      Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

Turnovers, no run game, and a few costly pass coverage missed assignments. Also, several newcomers did not suit up. We should start seeing them in the very near future.

Dyal certainly looked much better at QB.
        I missed most of the game since it was my son's birthday and we went out for dinner. My daughter's birthday is this Saturday so I'll probably miss most of that game too. Regarding the missed assignments, in your opinion is it something that appears fixable or were our guys just getting beat?

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post

I missed most of the game since it was my son's birthday and we went out for dinner. My daughter's birthday is this Saturday so I'll probably miss most of that game too. Regarding the missed assignments, in your opinion is it something that appears fixable or were our guys just getting beat?
          On at least two of them, it was blown coverage, wide open receivers. I think we'll start seeing some more of the transfers. We had a couple of late additions to the roster. They should push for playing time.

As for the OL, the two JUCO transfers are both injured. Hopefully will be available in a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post
            Drove down to see the game, here is "spectator's opinion:

1. Team does have, in fact, very good talent... good depth, good size, some highly skilled players...

2. Issue is going to be coaching: can the coaches perform now that they, IMO, have the talent...

3. Great run defense, again, getting killed by the long bombs..., and turnover ratio (0 to 5), destroyed any momentum we had...

4. Wrong coaches call on QB, finally went to Dyal in second half and he did a great job, need to make him the starter from here on out...

5. Not sure what is wrong with running game, but 89Hog got it right..., plus, again on paper, we have two kids on redshirt who had great HS careers, if we want to get more competative, why are they not going to be active this year as opposed to next..... IMO our OLine is better, but somehow they do not "attack", too much standing upright and
            trying to use big bodies (medium size bodies?) to brush block rather than attack. Needs to change immediately.

6. Also, since Dyal had better HS stats that Manziel did at Tivy, including running (?), I say once again, we need to start putting in some run/pass option plays and get Dyal outside. He went out side several times, but it was running for his life rather than designed plays it looked like. Plus, coaches need to let him run...even if dangerous, he can run and slide...there were several instances where he could have made 5, 7, 10 yards if he had just tucked the ball and ran...he could be an exciting runner if turned loose...

7. All in all, after reflecting, if we change out our QB, and cut the turnover ratio down substantially, we can win a lot of our games... going to be up to the coaches to make the changes, quick, or otherwise the samo, samo.

lantana

Comment

I guess some of the people still think they have a chance to turn it around. There was nothing this past Saturday that gave any hope that this team will be able to turn it around. I sure hope they do. The offensive playcalling is still the same, very poor. We will see how they do this weekend. Upgrade the freaking facilities. I am with LSC Fan, I am not sure the university cares or will ever care about football again.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                Lots of similarities from the problems we had last year. Defense looked decent but gave up big plays.

SV's TDs
                44 yd TD pass
                30 yd TD pass
                79 yd TD pass
                71 yd INT for TD
                13 yd TD run

4 plays for 166 yards (not including the INT). Otherwise, our defense held them to 172 total yards on 63 plays (2.73 Yds/Play). Offensively, we only rushed the ball 15 times (not including QB scrambles/sacks) and I would like to see us try to pound the ball a little more, but I'm not a coach and my opinion is based solely from a spectator's position. When Lopez is avg 3.9 yds/carry and Barnes is avg 3.3 yds/carry, it seems like we shouldn't be abandoning the running game.

GO HOGS!!!
                That has happened to the Pitt defense the last couple of years, too. Shut a team down all game except 4-5 big plays scattered here and there. So frustrating to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

That has happened to the Pitt defense the last couple of years, too. Shut a team down all game except 4-5 big plays scattered here and there. So frustrating to watch.
                  Have they fixed the issue? And in your opinion, was it coaching, just a lack of talent or both?

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Have they fixed the issue? And in your opinion, was it coaching, just a lack of talent or both?
                    Different causes at different times. Sometimes it's a blown assignment because of poor focus. Other times it's from taking risks that put a player on an island where one great move by the offensive player leads to a huge gain. Sometimes it is due to aggressive coaching. Not sure who you put a blown assignment on, though. If it's the same guy over and over, I would put it on the coach, but it's not, so I would say it's about half on the coach.

Hasn't seemed to be a lack of talent. I actually think the Pitt staff recruits physical talent really well, and teaches technique fairly well on defense at least. Now a few years ago, under a different dc, they were blitzing almost every play to make up for meh dl play and didn't really have the talent on the back end to get away with it. It became a thing for teams to just throw it deep about 30 times a game, knowing they would hit on 6 to 10 of those.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X