Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASU v. Kingsville

Its the start of conference play, a win here gives you a good start to get into the meat of the schedule.

Stats for ASU through 2 games (against less than stellar competition, but wins are wins)
    ASU is scoring 56.5 points per game and giving up 13.5
    Our offense is as close to 50/50 as you can get in terms of yards per game. Currently we are rushing the ball for 261.5 yds/game with 8 touchdowns for an average of 6.2 yds/attempt. We have thrown for 263.5 yds/ game with 6 touchdowns and only 1 interception (was in garbage time in week 1 with the backups in) for a total of 525 yards per game.

One stat that really sticks out to me is we are 14 for 14 in the redzone with 14 touchdowns. Our penalties are down from last year and our DB's appear to be playing with more physicality. Will be interesting to see how we much up against an LSC team.

Comment

Could be a wet one. Remember watching a game there during a tropical storm years ago.

Comment

Javelinas played a high school team last week.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
          Could be a wet one. Remember watching a game there during a tropical storm years ago.
          It should clear up by Saturday so weather shouldn't be an issue.

I won't even use stats from last week since we played a DIII team (and a very bad one at that) so all I have to go by is how we played against Saginaw Valley. They are a good team from a traditionally tough conference who returned about 20 starters from last year. As I mentioned in a previous post, we allowed too many big plays and that killed us.

SV's TDs
          44 yd TD pass
          30 yd TD pass
          79 yd TD pass
          71 yd INT for TD
          13 yd TD run

4 plays for 166 yards (not including the INT). Otherwise, our defense held them to 172 total yards on 63 plays (2.73 Yds/Play). Offensively, we seemed to move the ball much better after we switched QBs in the 2nd half. Like I said before, we will have to play a near-perfect game to win. We can't afford missed assignments which allow ASU big plays.

GO HOGS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post

It should clear up by Saturday so weather shouldn't be an issue.

I won't even use stats from last week since we played a DIII team (and a very bad one at that) so all I have to go by is how we played against Saginaw Valley. They are a good team from a traditionally tough conference who returned about 20 starters from last year. As I mentioned in a previous post, we allowed too many big plays and that killed us.

SV's TDs
            44 yd TD pass
            30 yd TD pass
            79 yd TD pass
            71 yd INT for TD
            13 yd TD run

4 plays for 166 yards (not including the INT). Otherwise, our defense held them to 172 total yards on 63 plays (2.73 Yds/Play). Offensively, we seemed to move the ball much better after we switched QBs in the 2nd half. Like I said before, we will have to play a near-perfect game to win. We can't afford missed assignments which allow ASU big plays.

GO HOGS!!!
            And if you took out some of the other 63 plays, you held them to under 100 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

And if you took out some of the other 63 plays, you held them to under 100 yards!
              Yes and if we had scored more points than them we would have won. :)

The point I was trying to make is we can't allow big plays. We saw our defense do this last year too. We hold a team for several drives then, boom! our defense is caught with its pants down for a big play and TD. Saggy had 15 drives and only 3 for 6 plays or more.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post

Yes and if we had scored more points than them we would have won. :)

The point I was trying to make is we can't allow big plays. We saw our defense do this last year too. We hold a team for several drives then, boom! our defense is caught with its pants down for a big play and TD. Saggy had 15 drives and only 3 for 6 plays or more.
                I hear ya! I just wanted to bust your chops.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I hear ya! I just wanted to bust your chops.
                  Yeah, I figured as much. :) I just have to keep wishing these issues with our program will get resolved. We also had 15 drives against Saggy with six of our drives having 6 or more plays. Unfortunately, we had 2 INTs, 2 Fumbles, and lost 2 to Downs. I'm just ready to see our program get back to its glory days.

GO HOGS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post
                    Javelinas played a high school team last week.
                    Well... The upside is we are not the only one in our conference who had to play a similar opponent these first two weeks. And yes it would have been better to have a more challenging opponent to test out any adjustments in our scheme from game one, but you play with the cards you are dealt and try to make the best of it.

This will be game that will tell us which direction this season is going. If we learned our lessons from game one, then this game will be close and could go down as a W or an L. IF that is the case, then we should have some hope we can be competitive the rest of the way out. I like some of the adjustments we made on offense primarily at QB, but we still have some work to do. But our D had no chance to see if lessons were learned last week. Again, I've seen teams at all levels look absolutely horrible in week one, but come week three or four things click and things get on track.

BUT, if it's ugly at times like game one..... Turn out the lights because the party never started. And really if we have the same breakdowns on defense as we had in week one with the big play killing us, then it's just a matter of picking your seat and watching the whole season become a train wreck earlier, rather than later. Because you can almost be certain if Angelo whips us, Tarleton, Commerce, and Midwestern will make us unrecognizable. And then we are hoping we look respectable against the likes of UTPB and WNM because WO, ENM and WTAM will probably beat us too. Maybe not whoop us, but the odds would be against in those games.

I really want to be optimistic, but this fan and alum is not holding out much hope.

Comment

Angelo gonna put the smack down this week. Gonna be UGLY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                          From your lips (keyboard) to football god's ears!!! I'm never confident traveling to Kingsville, heck I haven't been confident about an ASU football outcome in several year!

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post

From your lips (keyboard) to football god's ears!!! I'm never confident traveling to Kingsville, heck I haven't been confident about an ASU football outcome in several year!
                            I am absolutely confident.

Now if this was the Kingsville of yesteryear, then I would agree with you 100%. UNFORTUNATELY I have little confidence that the powers that be at TAMUK have done much to change or help this program. (SAD).

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X