Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelo State Football

Alright now that the regular season is over (I don't quite know how I feel about the bowl game, because it definitely didn't show any signs of helping us this year). I think the biggest question staring in the face of the program is what happens with our staff and how quickly does it happen? Do they make changes now or do we wait until after the bowl game (assumption made). What changes are made within the program? Do we take a more "aggressive approach" with our recruiting? What changes do we see in scheme on the field next year?

Here is our current staff:
    Girsch (Head Guy and currently listed as DC) I've got to think he hires someone to be the DC
    George Love (LB & Special Teams Coordinator)
    Pat Hill (DL Coach)
    Drew Dallas (OC)
    Jason Johnson (WR & Recruiting Coordinator)
    Anthony Lewis (OL)
    Then we have about 5-6 GA's.

Do any of these remain? I think you could make a case for all of them if you wanted to, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if none of them are brought back. It will be an interesting next few weeks as we decide what direction we will go.
    Thoughts?

Re: Angelo State Football

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Alright now that the regular season is over (I don't quite know how I feel about the bowl game, because it definitely didn't show any signs of helping us this year). I think the biggest question staring in the face of the program is what happens with our staff and how quickly does it happen? Do they make changes now or do we wait until after the bowl game (assumption made). What changes are made within the program? Do we take a more "aggressive approach" with our recruiting? What changes do we see in scheme on the field next year?

Girsch (Head Guy and currently listed as DC) I've got to think he hires someone to be the DC
    Pat Hill (DL Coach)
    Drew Dallas (OC)
    Anthony Lewis (OL)

Do any of these remain? I think you could make a case for all of them if you wanted to, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if none of them are brought back. It will be an interesting next few weeks as we decide what direction we will go.
    Thoughts?
    what happened here? why did this change take place in the middle of the season?

Comment

Pat Hill (DL Coach)
      Drew Dallas (OC)
      Anthony Lewis (OL)

Thoughts?
      I think complete offensive scheme change is a MUST.

I called about 80-85% of plays prior to the snap. If I can do that, every DC they face can. Same thing for at least 5 years. This offense is too high schoolish. Routes are too simple.....everything seems too elementary to me. Just my opinion.

But, I have said a lot for 10 seasons......who the h3ll cares about my opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

This offense is too high schoolish. Routes are too simple.....everything seems too elementary to me.
        Hey Pops - I thought we were talking about Angelo - not WT. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
          Hey Pops - I thought we were talking about Angelo - not WT. :laugh:
          Lol.

Seems modern day OCs just do things the easy way....no more chess games, strategies, or creative thinking. Football is in a sad state. No more innovators.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
            what happened here? why did this change take place in the middle of the season?
            It didnt. Wag was just released last week.

Comment

It didnt. Wag was just released last week.
              ok. good talk.

Comment

I called about 80-85% of plays prior to the snap. If I can do that, every DC they face can. Same thing for at least 5 years. This offense is too high schoolish. Routes are too simple.....everything seems too elementary to me. Just my opinion.

But, I have said a lot for 10 seasons......who the h3ll cares about my opinions?
                I agree with you on the offensive staff. I'm not going to get into the weeds on this because I'm not qualified to discuss, but from my eye it appears that we have a set of plays that we run, but we don't have a game plan. We don't look at where we want to expose the defense or where we want to take advantage of match-ups. We just have plays that we run, and I think that list is about 12-14 plays long.
                I believe it was the WT game, and their true freshman corner (who is pretty good) was matched up with Lawson Ayo, one of the best WR's in the conference. I think he had 2 targets and 1 catch all day. We didn't move him around, we didn't put him in motion, nothing. We stuck him out of the sideline and ran the same 4 routes and the DB was able to cover him. That is the type of stuff that drove me nuts.

Here was our offensive play calling:
                Inside zone
                Stretch
                QB Read
                WR Screen
                RPO with read to a slant
                Throw it deep and hope Keke or Lawson make a great play

Comment

I agree with you on the offensive staff. I'm not going to get into the weeds on this because I'm not qualified to discuss, but from my eye it appears that we have a set of plays that we run, but we don't have a game plan. We don't look at where we want to expose the defense or where we want to take advantage of match-ups. We just have plays that we run, and I think that list is about 12-14 plays long.
                  I believe it was the WT game, and their true freshman corner (who is pretty good) was matched up with Lawson Ayo, one of the best WR's in the conference. I think he had 2 targets and 1 catch all day. We didn't move him around, we didn't put him in motion, nothing. We stuck him out of the sideline and ran the same 4 routes and the DB was able to cover him. That is the type of stuff that drove me nuts.

Here was our offensive play calling:
                  Inside zone
                  Stretch
                  QB Read
                  WR Screen
                  RPO with read to a slant
                  Throw it deep and hope Keke or Lawson make a great play
                  I understand your point and frustration.

There was much more to it than that, but you are correct....it is vanilla with zero surprises and not an attack on the defense. VERY CONSERVATIVE plays & play calling. But in all honesty, I think the defense is the same way.

Did you see how Commerce just attacked the middle of the field. Ran up the middle and passed in the middle ALL DAY.....with no regards/respect for the "outstanding" LB corps. They attacked ASU's STRENGTH......not weakness. THAT's EXACTLY how I coach. Attack a teams strength. You beat their strength, you win EASILY every time.

Once again.....go back to Lombardi quote. (I know, I know....I bring it up all the time.) But I LIVE by that. And I don't care who is coaching, you better walk around with a chip, be hungry EVERY day!! Don't walk around thinking you are awinner....d@mn well KNOW you are a winner and that NO ONE can stop you. Get everyone on your team/office in a HUNGRY, WINNING state of mind. Whatever it takes!!! No matter how many hours of preparation. EAT, DRINK, SH!T, SLEEP WINNING.....ALL THE TIME.

If you are not going to do that, and just want a normal job, and a normal life......coaching is NOT for you. Like winning....coaching is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing.

Any way......I HOPE Girsch has the "fight" in him. I hope he has "IT". If so....ASU will turn the corner NEXT season. If not.....um....well....you know the rest.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X