Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Daren Wilkinson

Sad that the Javelinas have to make another change again but his time is up.

Give the guy just 1 more week.....if they lose in Portales make him walk home.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
      Give the guy just 1 more week.....if they lose in Portales make him walk home.
      Last edited by LSC Fan; 09-21-2019, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Agree with everything you said LSC Fan. There has to be a commitment to enhance the facilities if there are going to get any new good coach to come to Kingsville.

Comment

Whatever happened to Coach Cundiff? Those were some great seasons of Javelina football!

Comment

At this point, I'd love for the Javelinas to be the "new beginning" for Coach Art Briles in college football. While there was systemic failure of the Baylor athletics, I don't know that any of the blame should have necessarily fallen squarely on the shoulders of Briles. OF course, I don't know all of the facts and I haven't read the NCAA's report. From what I understand, the issue was more about compliance failure. A strong Athletic Director at any school could oversee this anyway (as should have been the case at Baylor). The bottom line is that something needs to be done. I live in the Silicon Valley and watch the games (or listen to them) online. I just shake my head when I look at the teams over the last decade and compare them with the teams from the past. Even a bad year for the Javelinas was usually a good year compared to everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
              Whatever happened to Coach Cundiff? Those were some great seasons of Javelina football!
              Coach Cundiff is still around, but I think he is fully retired from the profession after a stint in the high school ranks right after he left TAMUK. I think his last season down this way was in 2006 and a few years before that he had heart issues. His son is on the current staff, so from a personal standpoint it must pain them both to see what is going on with the current situation since they were both around to see the Javelina program in it's prime although the younger Cundiff was child during most of that era.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
                At this point, I'd love for the Javelinas to be the "new beginning" for Coach Art Briles in college football. While there was systemic failure of the Baylor athletics, I don't know that any of the blame should have necessarily fallen squarely on the shoulders of Briles. OF course, I don't know all of the facts and I haven't read the NCAA's report. From what I understand, the issue was more about compliance failure. A strong Athletic Director at any school could oversee this anyway (as should have been the case at Baylor). The bottom line is that something needs to be done. I live in the Silicon Valley and watch the games (or listen to them) online. I just shake my head when I look at the teams over the last decade and compare them with the teams from the past. Even a bad year for the Javelinas was usually a good year compared to everyone else.
                I get what you are saying about Briles, but he still might be a tad radioactive for a job in the college ranks. But I contend we could attempt to lure any successful coach down here right now and his success would be limited because of a checklist of things we need to address. If we go though the process again in a couple months, the current administration IF they have plans to ramp up the facilities, they need to announce them during this period of transition so the new man in town has something he can show potential recruits. Likewise everyone else involved in the program from the current student body, Alums, the community , the region , etc needs something to get excited about because morale is rock bottom. The thing is they can't just have these plans and sit on them and allow the illness to persist because I really don't know how much longer the program can survive with interest being this low. I haven't stepped foot in Javelina Stadium for a game for now the second season because it's so hard to swallow watching them on line get out manned and undersized compared to the mid tier and upper tier teams in our conference. The jury is still out on Angelo this season, but if they are any indication of what we might see in with Tarleton, MSU, Commerce etc., prepare for more 40 or more point beat downs and crowds of 3000 showing up to the games held here including Homecoming against Tarleton which I'm sure they will make it one for the school to remember.

Comment

Comment

Welcome and hopefully alums like you will start getting vocally active. Your points are pretty much on target.
                    My response to each point below.

1) This is sadly correct. Let's accept that many schools have old stadiums, but they update them with the times and we haven't. And it shows big time today. Ten years ago, it was still OK because many in our conference hadn't touch theirs for decades as well. But that is when the administration at the time should have put plans in motion to start updating in phases. Again being content was our biggest enemy. Many 4A, 5A and 6A high schools in all parts of the state have better stadiums, training facilities and locker rooms than we do and it's a huge letdown to show potential recruits what we have. Other areas of the campus have received significant renovations and new buildings and it looks nice, but the stadium area is lacking big time now. Same could be said of the SPEC.

2) Very much so. I saw a pic in the Javelina Highlights of the 1959 team talking to the current team in the locker room and to wonder if they were saying this place hasn't changed much since then.

3) Horrible. Now visitors shouldn't expect a luxury version of a locker room, but the current situation is beyond sad.

4) The town has always been a tad out of the way, but anyone could make lemonade out of lemons. The upside is if you really get bored Corpus is a short ride away and when you look at the travel times in places like Houston, SA or Austin just to get to short distance, it really isn't that bad. Corpus has more to offer today vs back in my day as well.

5) I've been saying this is a big mistake for a few seasons now, hence we are undersized in many areas. To cut to the chase, we've been reading too much into the press awarded achievements some players have received in our area and southward and not putting them into context to the quality of teams they are playing. The All District teams in many districts are fricken joke compared back in the day and now it's a participation ribbon honor more than anything.

6) Who the heck knows? If we still are, then the current AD and President should be ran out of town on a rail. But apathy is mile wide and mile deep I'm afraid. Compared to some of our counterparts in this conference, we have a hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil fan base. Sorry if I offend, but that's the truth.

7). There is nothing wrong with a program bragging about their history, but when it becomes a talking point that some always go back to and hold on to in order to suggest the current issues will fix itself, we got what we have today. I don't know how many times I've seen this used as comeback in many forums to suggest we are still relevant.
                    Last edited by LSC Fan; 09-28-2019, 08:46 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=ccchhhrrriiisss;n427686]
                      Last edited by Techster88; 09-28-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

This is such a great post. I mean you nailed everything perfectly. This post should be shared across all social media sites. Well done in explaining why this football program currently sucks.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post
                            Bump

Comment

You could always do what Nicholls does. Take all the student athletes and use them to do fundraising every weekend they are not in season. I thought it was a joke at first, but hey free labor actually works.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X