Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• football at Buffaloe State

Never made it back to Texas for a game this year. What was the good? The bad? What does next year look like? Looking at the box stats, it appears that WT went from a heavy ground game last year to a more balanced attack.

You have a new place to potty next time you pay a visit. Lol.

Comment

Re: football at Buffaloe State

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      You have a new place to potty next time you pay a visit. Lol.
      That about sums it up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        Never made it back to Texas for a game this year. What was the good? The bad? What does next year look like? Looking at the box stats, it appears that WT went from a heavy ground game last year to a more balanced attack.
        Check the wagon wheel game...
        I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
          Check the Angelo State game.

Dead last in the LSC on offense, yet still found a way to win 6 games. I've had a chance to buzz coach Hughes a few times. He is very intense. He's been given the freedom to build the team he wants. Personnel to fill that team is still wanting. This year is a key recruiting year for WT. A good foundation of young players is in the fold. Over 10 true freshman played key roles this year. About 40 more were redshirted. Among those 40 are some pretty good football players. Retention is expected to be very good. With only 10 seniors leaving, that is a solid roster foundation for next year.

As others have stated (and me several times) WT needs a QB with some mobility. For WT to run some 21 packages from under center, a QB with the ability to read the zone option, run it if it's there, and be able to scramble, extend plays, and make plays, would be pretty damn handy. Neither current QB fits that mold. Does the freshman Maxwell Perez? Do they need to recruit that kid if Perez isn't the one? More, bigger OL's are needed. The WT OL, much better than last year, still didn't dominate many DL's. A couple more playmakers at WR, a healthy big TE that didn't play this year, and a couple more RB's for depth.

Defensively, it was easy to see Hughes was a former DC. His D plays tough and physical. More talent and depth at the DL would be nice. Hughes has some very good young LBs. I have a feeling that the WT D will be one of the best in the LSC for seasons to come. Again, one more good recruiting class.

Need a punter to replace Cummings. I think our freshman kicker will be okay, despite missing some he should have made this year.

As far as the unproductive offense, was it a personal thing or the OC and his scheme/playcalling? Better FB observers than me need to answer that. I have a feeling Hughes will not put the blame on his OC (but his OC may be on notice). Losing Vallo early and Carter midway at RB to injury was big. Vallo should get a medical RS and return as a junior, and both will rerun next season. Again, a multi-dimensional QB would be the fuel to ignite the offense, IMO. Improved, more experienced OL, a great TE, two more playmaker WR's, Vallo and Carter back, and all that's needed is better QB play.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
            Check the Angelo State game.

Dead last in the LSC on offense, yet still found a way to win 6 games. I've had a chance to buzz coach Hughes a few times. He is very intense. He's been given the freedom to build the team he wants. Personnel to fill that team is still wanting. This year is a key recruiting year for WT. A good foundation of young players is in the fold. Over 10 true freshman played key roles this year. About 40 more were redshirted. Among those 40 are some pretty good football players. Retention is expected to be very good. With only 10 seniors leaving, that is a solid roster foundation for next year.

As others have stated (and me several times) WT needs a QB with some mobility. For WT to run some 21 packages from under center, a QB with the ability to read the zone option, run it if it's there, and be able to scramble, extend plays, and make plays, would be pretty damn handy. Neither current QB fits that mold. Does the freshman Maxwell Perez? Do they need to recruit that kid if Perez isn't the one? More, bigger OL's are needed. The WT OL, much better than last year, still didn't dominate many DL's. A couple more playmakers at WR, a healthy big TE that didn't play this year, and a couple more RB's for depth.

Defensively, it was easy to see Hughes was a former DC. His D plays tough and physical. More talent and depth at the DL would be nice. Hughes has some very good young LBs. I have a feeling that the WT D will be one of the best in the LSC for seasons to come. Again, one more good recruiting class.

Need a punter to replace Cummings. I think our freshman kicker will be okay, despite missing some he should have made this year.

As far as the unproductive offense, was it a personal thing or the OC and his scheme/playcalling? Better FB observers than me need to answer that. I have a feeling Hughes will not put the blame on his OC (but his OC may be on notice). Losing Vallo early and Carter midway at RB to injury was big. Vallo should get a medical RS and return as a junior, and both will rerun next season. Again, a multi-dimensional QB would be the fuel to ignite the offense, IMO. Improved, more experienced OL, a great TE, two more playmaker WR's, Vallo and Carter back, and all that's needed is better QB play.
            Must be good coaching, luck, and/or a combination of both because WT is LAST in offense and next to last in defense.

Regarding win over Angelo....they are 3rd to last in defense....yet you hear all this talk about the great ASU defense that would bench a LBer who starts on the 2017 NC team. It's THAT mindset that allowed ASU to lose to WT.

Based on your statements we should expect a hell of an improvement in WT football next season. A 2 maybe 3 loss team at most.

Looking forward to watching that progress.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
              Must be good coaching, luck, and/or a combination of both because WT is LAST in offense and next to last in defense.

Regarding win over Angelo....they are 3rd to last in defense....yet you hear all this talk about the great ASU defense that would bench a LBer who starts on the 2017 NC team. It's THAT mindset that allowed ASU to lose to WT.

Based on your statements we should expect a hell of an improvement in WT football next season. A 2 maybe 3 loss team at most.

Looking forward to watching that progress.
              Next season? I'd hope for 7, maybe 8 wins. At least one against the Midwestern/Commerce/Tarleton cabal. Obviously, WT had some luck this year along the way. Luck can disappear as quickly as it comes. WT could be better next year and not win any more games than they did this year. You know how that happens. How much better are the other guys? Injuries. Can they find a dual threat QB? I'd hope the Buffs move into the middle of the pack offensively and into the top tier of the defenses. We'll still have a very young team. Including incoming freshmen, I expect 70% of the roster will be freshmen, returning RS freshmen, and sophomores.
              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-13-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                Check the wagon wheel game...
                The vastly improved WT Buffs from the 2017 season laid a goose egg in the important 'Wagon Wheel' rivalry game. However, WT seemed to be relatively competitive in the rest of their games. Overall, the Buffs did double their win total from last year. The 2018 season can be labeled a moderate success. Hopefully make some noise next season in their new on campus venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                  The vastly improved WT Buffs from the 2017 season laid a goose egg in the important 'Wagon Wheel' rivalry game. However, WT seemed to be relatively competitive in the rest of their games. Overall, the Buffs did double their win total from last year. The 2018 season can be labeled a moderate success. Hopefully make some noise next season in their new on campus venue.
                  Throw out the Tarleton and Eastern games and WT had a chance to win all the others. Don't forget that the Buffs beat CWU and Angelo on the road. Those were nice wins!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                    Throw out the Tarleton and Eastern games and WT had a chance to win all the others. Don't forget that the Buffs beat CWU and Angelo on the road. Those were nice wins!
                    You are correct Sir. Not only beat CWU & Angelo at their place, but was one successful play short of knocking off Midwestern in OT last Sat. I still think that MW-Texas should have qualified for a post season invite and/or one of the Div II post season Bowl games. Nonetheless it was commendable performance by WT with their young & injury plagued squad this season.

Comment

WT offensive coordinator resigned today.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                        WT offensive coordinator resigned today.

Yep. Hope Hughes hires a better OC 2nd time around.

Comment

A valid point. Unfortunately, the ENMU Hounds have had the Buffs number for the past 6 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                            A valid point. Unfortunately, the ENMU Hounds have had the Buffs number for the past 6 seasons.
                            Honestly question, does Hughes take the rivalry seriously? It hasnt felt like it. The Buffs this year played with much more animus and vigor vs Commerce and Midwestern than Eastern.

With both teams on the field WT still looks like they should wipe the field with the hounds, bigger lineman, backs, recievers, etc, so its not an athlete thing.
                            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                              Honestly question, does Hughes take the rivalry seriously? It hasnt felt like it. The Buffs this year played with much more animus and vigor vs Commerce and Midwestern than Eastern.

With both teams on the field WT still looks like they should wipe the field with the hounds, bigger lineman, backs, recievers, etc, so its not an athlete thing.
                              Does him "taking it seriously" change the outcome of a game? What would you like to see him do to validate this rivalry? Is WT not motivated unless their coach is super pumped up for a game? If so, it's not on the coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X