Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: football at Buffaloe State

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
    Does him "taking it seriously" change the outcome of a game? What would you like to see him do to validate this rivalry? Is WT not motivated unless their coach is super pumped up for a game? If so, it's not on the coach.
    WT might have not even have come out of the locker room this year.

The coaches attitude reflects directly upon the players, i see players who are playing devoid of passion, drive, fire, you name it, and it makes you think that they are reflecting the attitude of their leadership.

Eastern let the clock run out at WT's 3 yard line because Lee is a nice guy most other coaches would have scored instead it was 28-0 not 31 or 35-0. The game this year was in No way competitive. WT didnt even break 100 yards total offense till late in the third. Eastern after getting the ball with 1min left in the 3rd drove 74 yards on 17 plays, 2 4th down conversions and punched it in for a td, most of those plays were straight dives between the tackles. WT got the ball back down 4 scores with a little over 7 minutes left, punted and eastern ran the clock out on them stopping at the WT 3 to charge the hill and celebrate with the wheel.

The only time i say ANY passion in the WT side was 2 senior DLs who slammed their helmets down after eastern won.

The play calling was plain, both offensively and defensively. No initiative was taken to try to sieze momentum, even when WTs special teams had a few bright spots with a blocked punt in Eastern territory, and a fumbled punt return.
    I can see why the WT faithful are happy to see the OC go, but their DC did them no favors that game either and the HC played conservatively the whole time, even when they were down by 21.

During Carthels time this was a big game, he knew, and he prepared his guys for it even when Eastern was in a terrible down slump.

If Hughes is happy to just brush it off then im more than glad to walk through that WT crowd wearing my green and silver smiling all the way to my car after a Hounds win.

Im interested in what Chip and others have to say on this cause I KNOW they care about where that wheel hangs.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

The coaches attitude reflects directly upon the players, i see players who are playing devoid of passion, drive, fire, you name it, and it makes you think that they are reflecting the attitude of their leadership.

Eastern let the clock run out at WT's 3 yard line because Lee is a nice guy most other coaches would have scored instead it was 28-0 not 31 or 35-0. The game this year was in No way competitive. WT didnt even break 100 yards total offense till late in the third. Eastern after getting the ball with 1min left in the 3rd drove 74 yards on 17 plays, 2 4th down conversions and punched it in for a td, most of those plays were straight dives between the tackles. WT got the ball back down 4 scores with a little over 7 minutes left, punted and eastern ran the clock out on them stopping at the WT 3 to charge the hill and celebrate with the wheel.

The only time i say ANY passion in the WT side was 2 senior DLs who slammed their helmets down after eastern won.

The play calling was plain, both offensively and defensively. No initiative was taken to try to sieze momentum, even when WTs special teams had a few bright spots with a blocked punt in Eastern territory, and a fumbled punt return.
      I can see why the WT faithful are happy to see the OC go, but their DC did them no favors that game either and the HC played conservatively the whole time, even when they were down by 21.

During Carthels time this was a big game, he knew, and he prepared his guys for it even when Eastern was in a terrible down slump.

If Hughes is happy to just brush it off then im more than glad to walk through that WT crowd wearing my green and silver smiling all the way to my car after a Hounds win.

Im interested in what Chip and others have to say on this cause I KNOW they care about where that wheel hangs.
      At our last sports luncheon, Hughes admitted he underestimated the intenseness of the rivalry between the Buffs and the Hounds. He vowed he, his staff, and his players would never make that mistake again. He said it in an emphatic no BS manner. Very plain spoken. Does that mean the Hound win streak ends next year? I sure hope so. Most every WT fan/booster/FB follower I know hates losing to ENM in FB or any sport.
      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-20-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Seems like silly motivation for otherwise obvious competitive individuals.

Comment

Comment

It was stated that Hughes wasn't fully bought in so WT got beat badly, but now the point is that fans care? Seems like you and Boohaha are making very different points here.

Comment

It was stated that Hughes wasn't fully bought in so WT got beat badly, but now the point is that fans care? Seems like you and Boohaha are making very different points here.
              Well I responded to you, no one else. You are the one who has an obsession with responding to everything Boohaha writes. Like you, I doubt the existence of a rivalry impacted any on field coaching decisions.

But you said the fans reaction seemed like a silly reason for an otherwise already competitive guy to care; I disagree.

He and the administration should (and likely do) care specifically about rivalry games because it offers an easier path to increased fan engagement.

Comment

Not meaning to insult but did you play sports in high school?

Rivalries mean something. Its more than fan engagement.

You dont think Michigan vs Ohio state matters to their programs, OU vs Texas?
                sure most people outside the panhandle dont recognize it but it matters to those schools. Hughes failure to recognize this has led to WT getting trounced 2 years running by a school with 1/3 the students and less than half the resources.

When your competeing for recruits it matters.

Comment

sure most people outside the panhandle dont recognize it but it matters to those schools. Hughes failure to recognize this has led to WT getting trounced 2 years running by a school with 1/3 the students and less than half the resources.

I agree......except for your last sentence. Not sure about a recruiting advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                    I agree......except for your last sentence. Not sure about a recruiting advantage.
                    We beat those guys.....

Comment

Not only that, but trounced at home by ENMU in the Bro for two seasons in a row. Play the Hounds in Portales in 2019. Does not get easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                        Never made it back to Texas for a game this year. What was the good? The bad? What does next year look like? Looking at the box stats, it appears that WT went from a heavy ground game last year to a more balanced attack.
                        Same here Herb, never made it back this yr for a game. Will definitely make the 10 hr dr next fall for the new Stadium and game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X