Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching Kingsville, Commerce, Angelo, and following WT the best I could using the joke provided by the Desert Stinger tournament, I have the following observations:

Kingsville is a juggernaut. They are scary good. Commerce is very good. Both teams blasted #7 rated Central Oklahoma. I did not watch all of the Angelo game, but they had issues in the outfield. Errors causing runs. They came back and nearly beat ranked Southern Arkansas. They also beat Central Oklahoma.

WT had an interesting weekend. They went 3-2. Lair pitched well. The pitcher new Coach Mook brought with him, Wilson, gave up 7 earned runs in her first inning of work. She has had a couple of other short appearances, so she's lowered her ERA from 49 to 21 or so. At her NAIA school, her ERA was 1.4. Hopefully she can adapt. A couple of other pitchers got in an inning of work each, and did well, but with the team way ahead. With 5 pitchers on the roster, we need to find at least 2 reliable ones. Right now we have Lair.

Salzman is not playing for some reason. Maybe she's injured, she was in the bizarre setup in Vegas running a video camera. The camera provided for web viewing was inside the fence, so it focused on the fence, causing the players and scoreboard to be fuzzy. People were standing in front of it frequently. Nothing, including live stats, worked today.

The WT infield looks pretty good. Cruz looks good in the outfield. Hopefully Salzman will be out there again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
      After watching Kingsville, Commerce, Angelo, and following WT the best I could using the joke provided by the Desert Stinger tournament, I have the following observations:

Kingsville is a juggernaut. They are scary good. Commerce is very good. Both teams blasted #7 rated Central Oklahoma. I did not watch all of the Angelo game, but they had issues in the outfield. Errors causing runs. They came back and nearly beat ranked Southern Arkansas. They also beat Central Oklahoma.

WT had an interesting weekend. They went 3-2. Lair pitched well. The pitcher new Coach Mook brought with him, Wilson, gave up 7 earned runs in her first inning of work. She has had a couple of other short appearances, so she's lowered her ERA from 49 to 21 or so. At her NAIA school, her ERA was 1.4. Hopefully she can adapt. A couple of other pitchers got in an inning of work each, and did well, but with the team way ahead. With 5 pitchers on the roster, we need to find at least 2 reliable ones. Right now we have Lair.

Salzman is not playing for some reason. Maybe she's injured, she was in the bizarre setup in Vegas running a video camera. The camera provided for web viewing was inside the fence, so it focused on the fence, causing the players and scoreboard to be fuzzy. People were standing in front of it frequently. Nothing, including live stats, worked today.

The WT infield looks pretty good. Cruz looks good in the outfield. Hopefully Salzman will be out there again soon.
      If I remember correctly, this was the same the last time we played in this tournament.

Comment

If Wt is going to be pitching and defense, we short on pitching.
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Salzman broke her wrist last month in practice - not for sure when she returns, but shouldn't be too much longer unless something has changed from when it happened. Vessels did not play as she broke a thumb and looks like 4-6 weeks before she returns. We had some bumps, but the play and pitching seemed to improve throughout the weekend & we are predominantly a freshman team right now.

Comment

Watching Nicholson's Flying Circus (the Lady Javs) is a must.....He is one of the best coaches I have ever been exposed to. He takes his talent, puts it in the right positions, and turns the girls loose. Threatened steals, steals, double steals, interspersed by singles, triples, and an HR every so often, supported by two great pitchers with two very good back-up pitchers, great fielders, great speed.....this is a great team in the making, perhaps even better than last year's national No. 2.

Hoggetts were only undefeated team in the Conroe tournament with six wins including four ranked teams, out of 16 teams or so, and last time I looked they were batting in the mid-300's as a team.

Any thing can happen tho, as someone pointed out, softball is a game of inches....,and Commerce and Lubbock Christian could be dangerous...

lantana

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post
              Watching Nicholson's Flying Circus (the Lady Javs) is a must.....He is one of the best coaches I have ever been exposed to. He takes his talent, puts it in the right positions, and turns the girls loose. Threatened steals, steals, double steals, interspersed by singles, triples, and an HR every so often, supported by two great pitchers with two very good back-up pitchers, great fielders, great speed.....this is a great team in the making, perhaps even better than last year's national No. 2.

Hoggetts were only undefeated team in the Conroe tournament with six wins including four ranked teams, out of 16 teams or so, and last time I looked they were batting in the mid-300's as a team.

Any thing can happen tho, as someone pointed out, softball is a game of inches....,and Commerce and Lubbock Christian could be dangerous...

lantana
              One of those pitchers, Breanna Smith, had planned to go to WT. Her grandparents played sports there and her Mom grew up in Canyon. That all changed when they met our coach at the time, and WT was immediately ruled out. This came from Smith's Mom, who I sat next to at the game on Friday. Smith is a senior this year. Last year she was 22-4 with a 1.97 ERA.

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post

lantana
                That's a good team in Kingsville. I expect it to be between Commerce and Kville for the lsc title this season. Our freshman pitcher looks legit as advertised, and Otto is returning as lsc pitcher of the year. Commerce went 4-1 in the Conroe event losing a 1-0 game to defending national champ and #1 ranked Augustana. Glad we play Kville in Commerce this season.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

That's a good team in Kingsville. I expect it to be between Commerce and Kville for the lsc title this season. Our freshman pitcher looks legit as advertised, and Otto is returning as lsc pitcher of the year. Commerce went 4-1 in the Conroe event losing a 1-0 game to defending national champ and #1 ranked Augustana. Glad we play Kville in Commerce this season.
                  Tarleton beat Augustana and lost to Kingsville in Conroe. We may also be in the race for the conference title

Comment

Originally posted by TexanFan View Post

Tarleton beat Augustana and lost to Kingsville in Conroe. We may also be in the race for the conference title
                    Yup, forgot y'all were still d2 this season.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Yup, forgot y'all were still d2 this season.
                      Our last one and it makes me sad.

Comment

Well, it looks like Wt is going to use Lair till her arm falls off.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                          Looks like they are going to be pretty lousy as a team

Comment

I was surprised they lost those last 2 games, I thought they would be easy wins. Lair got little run support in the first. In the second Lair faltered and Wilson came in and shut down the opposition. That's the first glimmer of hope I've seen for her, hopefully it's just the beginning.

There are quite a few bright spots - some of the new players and Greeson (red-shirted last year) are producing. Salzman is back from injury. We are just a couple of quality players short, maybe some will step up.

Comment

I was surprised they lost those last 2 games, I thought they would be easy wins. Lair got little run support in the first. In the second Lair faltered and Wilson came in and shut down the opposition. That's the first glimmer of hope I've seen for her, hopefully it's just the beginning.

There are quite a few bright spots - some of the new players and Greeson (red-shirted last year) are producing. Salzman is back from injury. We are just a couple of quality players short, maybe some will step up.
                              That's in the starting lineup. Not to mention the pitching and bench players.
                              I still think Moore is a good coach - it will just take time to get his type player.

Comment

That's in the starting lineup. Not to mention the pitching and bench players.
                                I still think Moore is a good coach - it will just take time to get his type player.
                                Michael Mook ??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X