X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boohaha
    replied
    Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but I saw on Twitter this graphic about a football showcase that the tagline is "for underclassmen who want to pursue the their dream of playing football at the next level". Interesting that St. Mary's is listed as a school that is confirmed.
    Interesting indeed.....

Leave a comment:

• ASURAM2010
    replied
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but I saw on Twitter this graphic about a football showcase that the tagline is "for underclassmen who want to pursue the their dream of playing football at the next level". Interesting that St. Mary's is listed as a school that is confirmed.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Last I heard, Trinity had an endowment sufficient to impress the queen mother, something nearing $1.5 billion. Yes, with a b. That's as much or more than many Big 12 schools. I'm pretty certain that Trinity could join any conference they wanted, any time they wanted.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 10-15-2019, 08:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Just because they filled schedules doesn't mean the scheduling was easy. The MIAA used to fill schedules in football every year but still went (against my objections) to a closed schedule.

There is nothing that could have been done to keep the Oklahoma teams. They were tired of getting their teeth kicked in. LSC South teams were paying guarantees to LSC North teams to play them in the "non-conference" portion of the schedule. Leagues don't survive that way. Obviously their defection to easier pastures hurt.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied
    Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

The LSC has had 0 problem scheduling other sports.

The Okie schools left yes and the pretty much had the door held open for them by the south and it was more than competitive imbalance in football cause many were comperitive in other sports and NSU and UCO went to the MIAA, which was alot tougher back then than the LSC.

We went from 14 football schools that played all the sports the heartland did to 7 football schools that have to travel to the west coast to fill schedules.

D2 football out west is a different animal, especially when the gac is closed, miaa is closed, the RMAC has 1 week per team open.

It was very short sighted for the LSC to not try to
    Preserve the membership of the north schools.
    This is a rinse & repeat of when ACU & UIW left the LSC.

*YAWN*

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

The Okie schools left yes and the pretty much had the door held open for them by the south and it was more than competitive imbalance in football cause many were comperitive in other sports and NSU and UCO went to the MIAA, which was alot tougher back then than the LSC.

We went from 14 football schools that played all the sports the heartland did to 7 football schools that have to travel to the west coast to fill schedules.

D2 football out west is a different animal, especially when the gac is closed, miaa is closed, the RMAC has 1 week per team open.

Just because they filled schedules doesn't mean the scheduling was easy. The MIAA used to fill schedules in football every year but still went (against my objections) to a closed schedule.

There is nothing that could have been done to keep the Oklahoma teams. They were tired of getting their teeth kicked in. LSC South teams were paying guarantees to LSC North teams to play them in the "non-conference" portion of the schedule. Leagues don't survive that way. Obviously their defection to easier pastures hurt.

Leave a comment:

• TexasDigger
    replied

Yep.

If we didnt have the bloat of the heartland schools there could be a case made to go after NM highlands to get the 3rd nm school.

Im serious when i say this that ENMU and especially western nm cannot afford 1 to 2 west coast trips a year to non revenue school. If that is to be the norm i could actually see ENMU seek to join the RMAC along with Western or try to get into the GAC with the okie schools.

Eastern has survived in the LSC and been decently successfull but we have always been at a financial disadvantage to the texas schools. One of the ways we have done that is to keep the cost of attendance very low and recruit well within the state. The Texas schools are not as affected by the travel, where as ENMU has to divert donor dollars that could and should be used to upgrade the program and add schollies to pay for travel. It basically serves to handcuff development and recruitment, while draining the meager war chest they have.

For reference ENMU teavel spending in 2016 and 17 was about 37k a year, in 2018 and again in 2019 that has increased to 74k double.

When you consider that it costs 19k a year to attend thats nearly 2 schollies lost to travel, or an entire asst. coach's salary. This is also just the cost increase associated with 1 west coast trip.

Commerce travel budget this year is 155k.

25-30k per west coast trip is no drop in the bucket for them either but its alot less than double the budget like it is for ENMU.

I have only been following D2 for about a year now and I think that qualifies me to offer NM Highlands to the LSC. In fact, the RMAC might even pay y'all to take them.

Leave a comment:

• wisdomgymrat
    replied
    https://theflashtoday.com/2019/10/15...AKMiWsJQrCiVoc

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied
    Yep.

If we didnt have the bloat of the heartland schools there could be a case made to go after NM highlands to get the 3rd nm school.

Im serious when i say this that ENMU and especially western nm cannot afford 1 to 2 west coast trips a year to non revenue school. If that is to be the norm i could actually see ENMU seek to join the RMAC along with Western or try to get into the GAC with the okie schools.

Eastern has survived in the LSC and been decently successfull but we have always been at a financial disadvantage to the texas schools. One of the ways we have done that is to keep the cost of attendance very low and recruit well within the state. The Texas schools are not as affected by the travel, where as ENMU has to divert donor dollars that could and should be used to upgrade the program and add schollies to pay for travel. It basically serves to handcuff development and recruitment, while draining the meager war chest they have.

For reference ENMU teavel spending in 2016 and 17 was about 37k a year, in 2018 and again in 2019 that has increased to 74k double.

When you consider that it costs 19k a year to attend thats nearly 2 schollies lost to travel, or an entire asst. coach's salary. This is also just the cost increase associated with 1 west coast trip.

Commerce travel budget this year is 155k.

25-30k per west coast trip is no drop in the bucket for them either but its alot less than double the budget like it is for ENMU.
    Last edited by Boohaha; 10-15-2019, 03:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

They have no desire to go d2, wayland though has expressed interest.

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    I still think the lsc should be after mary Hardin Baylor like a sailor on shore leave in manilla.
    They have no desire to go d2, wayland though has expressed interest.

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    The Oklahoma schools chose to leave. A part of that was competitive imbalance and a part was financial. As a whole, they haven't been having much success in a conference that is not nearly as strong as the LSC.

One reason to add those "basketball" schools can be to secure the football side. Sure, there is always the danger of the "basketball" folks taking too much control. No doubt.

But if the conference were down to seven schools and they had to fill 20 non-con basketball games (men+women), 30 baseball games, 30 softball games, etc. it would make things really shaky.

What was keeping LSC teams from scheduling them anyway? Choice. Sure, it wouldn't be hard for Cameron and Western New Mexico to schedule anyone. But West Texas and Commerce would have had a lot more difficulty. But if (for instance) UAFS and Lubbock Christian are forced to schedule everyone, it makes everything easier for everyone.

In spite of all the difficulties the GNAC has with football, those guys are still making a go of it because there is less stress because they have 11 schools and the scheduling benefits of those.

Leave a comment:

• JakeTAMUC
    replied
    I still think the lsc should be after mary Hardin Baylor like a sailor on shore leave in manilla.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    The Oklahoma schools chose to leave. A part of that was competitive imbalance and a part was financial. As a whole, they haven't been having much success in a conference that is not nearly as strong as the LSC.

One reason to add those "basketball" schools can be to secure the football side. Sure, there is always the danger of the "basketball" folks taking too much control. No doubt.

But if the conference were down to seven schools and they had to fill 20 non-con basketball games (men+women), 30 baseball games, 30 softball games, etc. it would make things really shaky.

What was keeping LSC teams from scheduling them anyway? Choice. Sure, it wouldn't be hard for Cameron and Western New Mexico to schedule anyone. But West Texas and Commerce would have had a lot more difficulty. But if (for instance) UAFS and Lubbock Christian are forced to schedule everyone, it makes everything easier for everyone.

In spite of all the difficulties the GNAC has with football, those guys are still making a go of it because there is less stress because they have 11 schools and the scheduling benefits of those.

Leave a comment:

• catbacker07
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X