X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boohaha
    replied
    Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Remember AD's are concerned with the entire sports program, not just football. Football is the front porch of the house, not the whole house. It is my understanding that in the other sports it will be VERY hard for an RMAC school to make the playoffs due to the formulas used. If you were an AD and you knew that your school had a better chance to make the PO by merging wouldn't you do it? Of course, you would. In women's sports, the LSC is now the toughest conference in D2. The merger has a big upside for all other sports, mainly scheduling. Of course, membership will change. Schools will add sports and drop sports, it's the nature of the beast. I just find it hard to believe that Wt and ENMU would have spent money on new facilities if who we are playing was a problem.
    I see thst aspect but, football costs at least 1/3 if not half of all athletic budgets.

What was keeping us from scheduling those teams already? Baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.

There is one sport we were having trouble with and that is football, no one struggled to fill basketball schedules or volleyball or any of the others.

As far as WT and ENMU spending, WT could easily follow Tarleton to fcs and play d1 basketball they have the population for it, they can also afford the travel to the west coast. ENMU built cause they HAD TO, the old stadium was becoming unusable and it was cheaper to build new than remodel.

Leave a comment:

• Great White Buffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Pops it wasn't that long ago we had 14 teams and 2 divisions, 0 problem scheduling games. Since the Okie schools were pushed out its been a steady decline and scheduling has only gotten worse. Adding the Heartland which is a bunch of basketball only schools only makes it harder as we can't try to seek to add football schools and not a single one has any interest in starting football.

Why would a school want to come to this conference even if they were closer to some of the football schools? Football's budget at every school dwarfs the others, so when you looking at scheduling and traveling 60 man squads plus coaches and support its not real comforting to try plan for travel when you have to schedule teams in the upper northwest and east coast to fill a schedule. Right now we have our Top 2 teams on the bubble with playoff seeding on the line because they cant get 11 d2 games, Midwestern sat at home last year because of it. Other schools who are just trying to maintain a program like Highlands who would benefit from being i a conference with their other instate rivals can afford to take the chance cause they can afford the trips to the west coast even less than ENMU.

The rest of the conference could give a rip if we even play football, i still don't see why we merged with the heartland, 0 positive results for the LSC as a whole, especially for football.

I would not be surprised to see Western NM either stop playing football all together, or going back to the RMAC, if that happens we are down to 6 schools, ENMU cannot afford to travel every year to Oregon, or Washington, or BC, and sometimes 2 of the three. The GNAC alliance is destined for failure its too expensive. Honestly I would rather see ENMU and WNMU go to the RMAC as a package deal than to try to keep that up. WNMU, Highlands, Ft Lewis, Adams, Pueblo, are easy trips to make, the South Dakota schools would be no worse than traveling to kingsville and making one of those trips every year is still cheaper than flying to Washington, Oregon, and BC each year.
    Remember AD's are concerned with the entire sports program, not just football. Football is the front porch of the house, not the whole house. It is my understanding that in the other sports it will be VERY hard for an RMAC school to make the playoffs due to the formulas used. If you were an AD and you knew that your school had a better chance to make the PO by merging wouldn't you do it? Of course, you would. In women's sports, the LSC is now the toughest conference in D2. The merger has a big upside for all other sports, mainly scheduling. Of course, membership will change. Schools will add sports and drop sports, it's the nature of the beast. I just find it hard to believe that Wt and ENMU would have spent money on new facilities if who we are playing was a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied
    Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I have heard this talk of the LSC failing since 2009....11 seasons!!! And yet its still here and thriving.

All the comments by people "in the know" has been absolutely false. I remember prediction that the LSC would be gone by 2015....2018.....2020. How football conferences as we knew it would forever be changed. A new league would be started by the P5 and the top programs would leave the NCAA. There was gonna be a mess, so DII teams better jump to D1 or get left out of this HUGE change.

Well all those college football Einsteins were DEAD WRONG. Most are gone from the board....but there are a few still around. I so remember being ridiculed for LAUGHING at them. Well.....I am STILL 707 and 7MAO at them.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.
    Pops it wasn't that long ago we had 14 teams and 2 divisions, 0 problem scheduling games. Since the Okie schools were pushed out its been a steady decline and scheduling has only gotten worse. Adding the Heartland which is a bunch of basketball only schools only makes it harder as we can't try to seek to add football schools and not a single one has any interest in starting football.

Why would a school want to come to this conference even if they were closer to some of the football schools? Football's budget at every school dwarfs the others, so when you looking at scheduling and traveling 60 man squads plus coaches and support its not real comforting to try plan for travel when you have to schedule teams in the upper northwest and east coast to fill a schedule. Right now we have our Top 2 teams on the bubble with playoff seeding on the line because they cant get 11 d2 games, Midwestern sat at home last year because of it. Other schools who are just trying to maintain a program like Highlands who would benefit from being i a conference with their other instate rivals can afford to take the chance cause they can afford the trips to the west coast even less than ENMU.

The rest of the conference could give a rip if we even play football, i still don't see why we merged with the heartland, 0 positive results for the LSC as a whole, especially for football.

I would not be surprised to see Western NM either stop playing football all together, or going back to the RMAC, if that happens we are down to 6 schools, ENMU cannot afford to travel every year to Oregon, or Washington, or BC, and sometimes 2 of the three. The GNAC alliance is destined for failure its too expensive. Honestly I would rather see ENMU and WNMU go to the RMAC as a package deal than to try to keep that up. WNMU, Highlands, Ft Lewis, Adams, Pueblo, are easy trips to make, the South Dakota schools would be no worse than traveling to kingsville and making one of those trips every year is still cheaper than flying to Washington, Oregon, and BC each year.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied
    Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I have heard this talk of the LSC failing since 2009....11 seasons!!! And yet its still here and thriving.

All the comments by people "in the know" has been absolutely false. I remember prediction that the LSC would be gone by 2015....2018.....2020. How football conferences as we knew it would forever be changed. A new league would be started by the P5 and the top programs would leave the NCAA. There was gonna be a mess, so DII teams better jump to D1 or get left out of this HUGE change.

Well all those college football Einsteins were DEAD WRONG. Most are gone from the board....but there are a few still around. I so remember being ridiculed for LAUGHING at them. Well.....I am STILL 707 and 7MAO at them.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

There is alot of things decided by the conference that could hurt football, promotional spending, and support. There is a reason the GNAC struggles with 4 football schools.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied

I think the bylaws state that to vote on a matter that pretains to a sport you must have that sport, Therefore, non-football schools do not have a vote on football matters
    There is alot of things decided by the conference that could hurt football, promotional spending, and support. There is a reason the GNAC struggles with 4 football schools.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

I think the bylaws state that to vote on a matter that pretains to a sport you must have that sport, Therefore, non-football schools do not have a vote on football matters
    Correct

Leave a comment:

• Great White Buffalo
    replied

LSC will be an 8 team football conference if no one else jumps ship for d1 or another conference and if they don't do something soon to shore it up we are going to go the way of the GNAC...... you can bet all those heartland schools and UT tyler are not going to give one care in the world for football and now they have the votes to push the original members around.

Makes me long for the days of North South divisions.....all the people saying the okie schools should just leave are about to be served some humble pie cause now the heartland owns the LSC in all but name, they are the ones running the show. Support for football at the conference level i feel is about to fall way way off.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied
    I believe the LSC will be at 12+ Football members within 3-5 years.....IF all I am hearing is accurate.

The sky is NOT falling.....hahaha.

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied
    Originally posted by TSUTexan61 View Post

I used to live there and had a few friends that went there. Their student body is against adding football for a number of reasons.

I would not count on them to add football any time soon
    LSC will be an 8 team football conference if no one else jumps ship for d1 or another conference and if they don't do something soon to shore it up we are going to go the way of the GNAC...... you can bet all those heartland schools and UT tyler are not going to give one care in the world for football and now they have the votes to push the original members around.

Makes me long for the days of North South divisions.....all the people saying the okie schools should just leave are about to be served some humble pie cause now the heartland owns the LSC in all but name, they are the ones running the show. Support for football at the conference level i feel is about to fall way way off.
    Last edited by Boohaha; 10-13-2019, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TSUTexan61
    replied
    Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Also, is UT Tyler still coming in and will they add football?
    I used to live there and had a few friends that went there. Their student body is against adding football for a number of reasons.

I would not count on them to add football any time soon

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied
    Originally posted by TexanFan View Post
    Well this is the big week for possible D1 movement. Since the answer is dependent on the student referendum and the vote starts tomorrow and ends Wednesday at midnight, we should know this week if we are moving up now.

I have changed my opinion on this issue as I am now 100% for moving up and joining the WAC. It is what is best for the university from an academic POV.
    My neighbors son is at Tarleton, he says the vote is a slam dunk.

Leave a comment:

• TexanFan
    replied
    Well this is the big week for possible D1 movement. Since the answer is dependent on the student referendum and the vote starts tomorrow and ends Wednesday at midnight, we should know this week if we are moving up now.

I have changed my opinion on this issue as I am now 100% for moving up and joining the WAC. It is what is best for the university from an academic POV.

Leave a comment:

• Inkblot
    replied
    UT Tyler is now a Lone Star Conference member. There's no word about them adding football.

Leave a comment:

• gruesome
    replied
    You would have to think with Tyler's size that there's tons of growth opportunity for the university and ample opportunity for a football team.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X