Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gruesome View Post

Enrollment increased from 13,011 to 13,122 from 2017 to 2018. Couldn't find 2019 numbers, but I'm sure they're out there. Granted, the purported 5-8% increase in previous years has helped boost that overall number, I've heard from several sources that enrollment for 2019 is down. Additionally, with student loans becoming an increasing burden, I think we'll see enrollment numbers flatten or decline over the next decade.

I think TSU is skating on thin ice with regards to the student population growing and supporting a D1 athletic budget. The travel alone in the WAC will cost millions and I don't think the media money (as many have already mentioned) will be anything close to supporting those increased travel costs and expenses.

In the end, it's a D1 move for D1's sake. Lonn is now officially a D1 athletic director and will be forever enshrined as the AD that brought TSU out of D2 and into D1. How that fares for the university long term is anyone's guess.
    Is the enrollment increase for on campus enrollment? Or does it include enrollment at satellite sites such as mclennan community college in Waco and/or online programs? On campus undergrad enrollment is where support will come from for athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post

Is the enrollment increase for on campus enrollment? Or does it include enrollment at satellite sites such as mclennan community college in Waco and/or online programs? On campus undergrad enrollment is where support will come from for athletics.
      I think that's total enrollment including the satellite campuses. The athletics fee goes to all students regardless of campus location. At the current enrollment, assuming 12 hours per student, that amounts to $3.4 million. Maybe one of the TSU guys could straighten me out, but I think there's at least talk of another fee increase. I feel like I saw a quote from Hurley about being against it unless D1 happens.. Can't seem to find the source on that at the moment.

Comment

They have always used the satellite campuses in the overall enrollment.

Comment

I am worried about WT. I dont see a move to D1 unless Sharp and his cronies put some immense pressure on WT and force them. McBroom has never seemed interested in even entertaining the idea. So I think it will take the Mothership demanding it for that to be a consideration. 8 football schools is going to make scheduling a nightmare to find 4 OOC games in the LSC dang near impossible. Is it time to consider a move to the RMAC? WT fits the footprint of the RMAC and would replace Dixie State leaving. Would give the athletic program stability. RMAC is fully scholarship funded now. Yes we lose some of our natural rivals, but gain complete security and still have some relatively close opponents. Could schedule ENMU every year as our 1 OOC game.

I can just see a day where WNMU shuts down their football program. When that happens, the LSC football wise is one step away from being the GNAC. And if UTPB and UT Tyler follow the paths of their family brethren, they wont be D2 forever.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
            They have always used the satellite campuses in the overall enrollment.
            Isn't there another fee increase in the works? Didn't I read that somewhere?

Edit: It was the "Next Level Ready" townhall meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRhfm6lWjs

Comment

Comment

Isn't there another fee increase in the works? Didn't I read that somewhere?

Edit: It was the "Next Level Ready" townhall meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRhfm6lWjs
                The Next Level Ready townhalls are today. To my knowledge, the only students currently paying athletic fees on those based on the Stephenville campus.

Comment

In the end, it's a D1 move for D1's sake. Lonn is now officially a D1 athletic director and will be forever enshrined as the AD that brought TSU out of D2 and into D1. How that fares for the university long term is anyone's guess.
                  This is why I've always been against a move to the WAC. No regional rivals, increased expenses to travel to play schools that want to leave yesterday. While I am excited about the move up, I would've rather stayed in the LSC and be nationally competitive as opposed to joining the WAC with no home for football and getting run over by schools in P5 conferences. SFA could've developed into a good rivalry, and there's history with ACU. Can't get interested in traveling to St. George Utah or playing UTRGV.

The SLC is going to implode? Based on what? We should've been patient but wanted to go D1 just for the sake of being D1. This will set our athletics back by a lot. Hope I'm wrong, concerned I'm not.

Comment

Why would they leave? NMSU won't drop down, so at least 3 more schools would need to join to automatically qualify for playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanFan View Post

The Next Level Ready townhalls are today. To my knowledge, the only students currently paying athletic fees on those based on the Stephenville campus.
                      I didn't realize that was live a few hours ago! I'm listening to it in the background now.

The athletics fee is all students at all campuses: https://www.tarleton.edu/business/st...e-changes.html

Comment

Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

This is why I've always been against a move to the WAC. No regional rivals, increased expenses to travel to play schools that want to leave yesterday. While I am excited about the move up, I would've rather stayed in the LSC and be nationally competitive as opposed to joining the WAC with no home for football and getting run over by schools in P5 conferences. SFA could've developed into a good rivalry, and there's history with ACU. Can't get interested in traveling to St. George Utah or playing UTRGV.

The SLC is going to implode? Based on what? We should've been patient but wanted to go D1 just for the sake of being D1. This will set our athletics back by a lot. Hope I'm wrong, concerned I'm not.
                        What's already interesting in the town hall meeting is that Hurley is still calling the move as it is: an invitation. Tarleton has not accepted.

Comment

What's already interesting in the town hall meeting is that Hurley is still calling the move as it is: an invitation. Tarleton has not accepted.
                          I hope he doesn't, for every reason I've stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

I hope he doesn't, for every reason I've stated.
                            It may depend a great deal on whether or not this athletic fee passes. This town hall meeting is very interesting and enlightening with regards to what's actually going on behind the scenes. The fee increase would bring the athletic fee revenue to close to $5.5 million based on my math previously in this thread.

Social media and the media at large has taken this story and run with it more than I thought. Mainly media... Social media does what social media does.

Comment

Apparently, part of WT's new strategic plan is a feasibility study..... https://www.wtamu.edu/webres/File/Ab...0Athletics.pdf

Comment

Is there a plan to upgrade all of your facilities? Football has been updated, but Tarleton will have to build a brand new basketball arena, could probably get by with the volleyball arena, but if they upgrade basketball could move VB over there. Baseball and softball facilities are terrible. Don't know about soccer but you probably don't have to have much for that. Again how much money is A&M willing to dump into Tarleton just to have the D1 title.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X