Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is WT's new stadium like

I will not be able to attend a game there this season. Maybe next year. I read a whole lot on here about what it was going to be like. Can you WT people give a rundown of the stadium after you have been to a game there. What is it like???

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    I will not be able to attend a game there this season. Maybe next year. I read a whole lot on here about what it was going to be like. Can you WT people give a rundown of the stadium after you have been to a game there. What is it like???
    Having been to two games now I have be nothing but impressed. The atmosphere at the homecoming game was awesome. The ribbon board, big screen, and sound system really set the place off. It feels like your attending real college football game. You need to come out next year and check it out!

Comment

The stadium is incredible! It's designed for the fan. Not a bad seat in the place and you are right next to the action. But what makes it even more attractive is that it's on campus with the tailgate area just across the street on pavement with shade trees. Unlike Kimbrough where tailgaters stood in stickers and dirt. The stadium being on campus makes the game day atmosphere exciting.
      With all the other new construction on campus just down the street on Russell Long Blvd., WT feels and looks like a completely different and much larger campus. It's hard to adequately describe. You really just need to see it and be there on game day to fully grasp it all.

Comment

• I went this last Saturday and sat 50 yd line east side at the very top....even there, I felt like we were on top of the action.
        • I'm thinking because of the pitch of the upper stands, the rows are wider than you would expect, creating a lot of legroom.
        • Concessions are still worked by student organizations, with the two on the north end having the same menu, and the two on the south end different than all the others. Sharky's Burrito Company has the southwest stand, and I would recommend getting nachos there instead of the "walking taco nachos" from the north end ones.....Sharky's is twice the price, but 4 times the ingredients!
        • Restrooms are plentiful.
        • Video and Sound are much Much MUCH better than at Kimbrough.
        • Lighting was great.
        • All the poles on the upper deck (wifi/lights/flags) had a ton of spider webs on them from egg sac releases, but a good freeze will start clearing those off for future games.
        • The ribbon boards are easy to lose your place on, but that may be just me getting older as I always have that complaint.
        • Parking is a work in progress....LOTS of room for improvement in signage and availability.
        • We didn't tailgate, but did notice it looked like a good crowd out there in Buffalo Alley, even within 30 minutes of kickoff.
        • RV Tailgating had 1 trailer out there, and it is waaaaaaaay away from Buffalo Alley, so you best be bringing the party with you if doing it that way.
        • There is one ticket booth, but it seemed to move fairly quickly.
        • The reserved $25/$35 chairback seating on the upper west side seemed to have plenty of availability. I think we will see those prices come down for next season.
        • Lots of empty seats in the "Club Sections" too, but they could have been watching from inside the club area.
        • Same thing in with the "Suites".....lots of empty chairs.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WTAMU Buffalo Stadium small.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	433440

Comment

Originally posted by HeyBeerManTX View Post
          • I went this last Saturday and sat 50 yd line east side at the very top....even there, I felt like we were on top of the action.
          • I'm thinking because of the pitch of the upper stands, the rows are wider than you would expect, creating a lot of legroom.
          • Concessions are still worked by student organizations, with the two on the north end having the same menu, and the two on the south end different than all the others. Sharky's Burrito Company has the southwest stand, and I would recommend getting nachos there instead of the "walking taco nachos" from the north end ones.....Sharky's is twice the price, but 4 times the ingredients!
          • Restrooms are plentiful.
          • Video and Sound are much Much MUCH better than at Kimbrough.
          • Lighting was great.
          • All the poles on the upper deck (wifi/lights/flags) had a ton of spider webs on them from egg sac releases, but a good freeze will start clearing those off for future games.
          • The ribbon boards are easy to lose your place on, but that may be just me getting older as I always have that complaint.
          • Parking is a work in progress....LOTS of room for improvement in signage and availability.
          • We didn't tailgate, but did notice it looked like a good crowd out there in Buffalo Alley, even within 30 minutes of kickoff.
          • RV Tailgating had 1 trailer out there, and it is waaaaaaaay away from Buffalo Alley, so you best be bringing the party with you if doing it that way.
          • There is one ticket booth, but it seemed to move fairly quickly.
          • The reserved $25/$35 chairback seating on the upper west side seemed to have plenty of availability. I think we will see those prices come down for next season.
          • Lots of empty seats in the "Club Sections" too, but they could have been watching from inside the club area.
          • Same thing in with the "Suites".....lots of empty chairs.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	WTAMU Buffalo Stadium small.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	433440
          Talking to some people I realized that a lot of the reserved seats were purchased by businesses that pass them out to employees. The people had several tickets in the $35 section from their employer but chose to sit in GA with family and friends. So I wonder how many are actually sold and just not filled game day.

Comment

"Where will we park?" That question was used from the beginning of construction as a complaint about the stadium being on campus. That has proven to be a nonissue especially if fans arrive early and attend the tailgate. If someone arrives late and expects to park by the entrance, good luck. It's no different than any other stadium with a crowd. Traffic flow after the game has been well-managed with lots of police and other personnel directing traffic.
            Talking to Michael McBroom he said there have been glitches, but in my opinion, most are not noticed by the average fan. There are event staff everywhere around the stadium to assist people and to keep the place clean. The athletic department has managed the opening year of Buffalo Stadium very well and I'm sure they will look for ways to improve operations as the season progresses.
            Regarding ticket prices, $25-$35 may seem high to some people, but my wife wife and I will easily drop 50 bucks eating out on Saturday. At WT on game day, we can go to the tailgate and eat and drink free and get to watch the Buffs for the same 50 bucks. It's hard to beat a deal like that.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
              "Where will we park?" That question was used from the beginning of construction as a complaint about the stadium being on campus. That has proven to be a nonissue especially if fans arrive early and attend the tailgate. If someone arrives late and expects to park by the entrance, good luck. It's no different than any other stadium with a crowd. Traffic flow after the game has been well-managed with lots of police and other personnel directing traffic.
              Talking to Michael McBroom he said there have been glitches, but in my opinion, most are not noticed by the average fan. There are event staff everywhere around the stadium to assist people and to keep the place clean. The athletic department has managed the opening year of Buffalo Stadium very well and I'm sure they will look for ways to improve operations as the season progresses.
              Regarding ticket prices, $25-$35 may seem high to some people, but my wife wife and I will easily drop 50 bucks eating out on Saturday. At WT on game day, we can go to the tailgate and eat and drink free and get to watch the Buffs for the same 50 bucks. It's hard to beat a deal like that.
              Most college stadiums have parking near the stadium for maybe a few hundred cars. Also most college stadiums don't have a home side and a visitors side. They just have a stadium and you sit where you buy a seat. A lot of people in the panhandle have ventured outside of their world maybe twice in their life, once being a trip to an all inclusive resort in Tiajuana - so they wouldnt know any different.

Comment

Buffalo Stadium is like most college stadiums: it doesn't have a home side and a visitors side. In fact the students section is on the east side behind the opposing team's bench. It was designed to do away with with the "home" and "visitors" side concept. Also most all parking is relatively near the stadium. Even parking at the FUBC is only a 12-15 minute walk.

Comment

Parking is a non-issue in my opinion. People are just lazy. There are plenty of spots for the people that need them closer to the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                    Parking is a non-issue in my opinion. People are just lazy. There are plenty of spots for the people that need them closer to the stadium.
                    We have this same "issue" at ASU for the general student population...when you can walk from one end of campus to the other in less than 15 minutes, there is not a parking issue. Just park and walk.

Comment

Sounds like you guys have a lot of first world problems over there. Wishing we would have these same discussions down here....

What was the final price tag for the stadium? Just asking for a friend.

Comment

$39 million was the amount approved for construction.

Comment

Last edited by chivas_gold; 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The games are an event as much as football on the field. I'm in the suite area and our suite has been full every game, but the seats outside the suite are only half full because of eating and visiting with everyone inside and outside of our area. We have turned the suite into reunion time with people we went to school with. That was a long time ago but its wonderfull now. For my wife and I it is worth every penny. We always say we need to get together but the new stadium has provided an opportunity to do just that. I loved how unique Kimbrough was but I would not eat or drink 2 hours before the game and would sit in my seats until game was over because I didn't want to make the climb. I was definitely more game oriented then. I suspect as the newness wears off the product on the field will have to take over and as we play or rivals I will pay more attention. I am totally thrilled right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan88 View Post
                              The games are an event as much as football on the field. I'm in the suite area and our suite has been full every game, but the seats outside the suite are only half full because of eating and visiting with everyone inside and outside of our area. We have turned the suite into reunion time with people we went to school with. That was a long time ago but its wonderfull now. For my wife and I it is worth every penny. We always say we need to get together but the new stadium has provided an opportunity to do just that. I loved how unique Kimbrough was but I would not eat or drink 2 hours before the game and would sit in my seats until game was over because I didn't want to make the climb. I was definitely more game oriented then. I suspect as the newness wears off the product on the field will have to take over and as we play or rivals I will pay more attention. I am totally thrilled right now.
                              Seats in the club section, well worth the price. We will need a better product on the field. It's great to be with friends.
                              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X