Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amarillo.com

I check this out now and then. When I go to the sports I first see a whole slate of stories about TTU sports. Only when I scroll down do I start seeing stuff about WT and other local sports. Has Amarillo become a big TTU fan base ?

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
      I check this out now and then. When I go to the sports I first see a whole slate of stories about TTU sports. Only when I scroll down do I start seeing stuff about WT and other local sports. Has Amarillo become a big TTU fan base ?
      While I am not privy to the situation, it seems a very common occurrence across the country. Multiple newspapers using the same staff and stories in order to cut costs and try to survive. I use alerts a lot, and often the same story will come from three different newspapers. Same author. Same story. Same everything. All those papers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

While I am not privy to the situation, it seems a very common occurrence across the country. Multiple newspapers using the same staff and stories in order to cut costs and try to survive. I use alerts a lot, and often the same story will come from three different newspapers. Same author. Same story. Same everything. All those papers.
        Very common. A few of the papers in Texas who have a small to medium market are now owned by Gannet who publishes USA Today and they own the dailies in Corpus, San Angelo, El Paso, and Wichita Falls and maybe a few others here in the state.

I don't get the print copy, but I do look at it on line and mainly just the headlines and the sports pages will have Angelo State and Tech articles.

Comment

After subscribing to the Amarillo Globe-News for 50+ years, I dropped my subscription last spring. Hardly any staff remaining in Amarillo. Now printed in Lubbock and it shows. Such a shame to see what was once a good newspaper become such a waste, I check on online for obits.
          Cutoff time for a story is 6 pm so even Friday night HS scores are not printed until Sunday. It has become just a branch of the Lubbock paper.
          If I actually cared about Texas Tech or what happens in Lubbock, I would take the Lubbock paper. You can get more local news and sports from The Canyon News.

Comment

I believe that once upon a time they had a fine sports section. Putt Powell used to have a column called Putting Around as well as Short Putts. He loved to write about Joe Kerbel, Tom Landry, Blackie Sherrod, Darrel Royal, and Bud Wilkinson. Lance Lahnert (sp?) was always quality. John Beilue always came off as a little arrogant and condescending. I never got the idea that he liked much about WT, as it seems like he would take a veiled swipe at WT every chance he got. I might be way off on that. But those other guys is why you bought a paper. There was going to be some good local writing and entertainment.

Comment

I believe that once upon a time they had a fine sports section. Putt Powell used to have a column called Putting Around as well as Short Putts. He loved to write about Joe Kerbel, Tom Landry, Blackie Sherrod, Darrel Royal, and Bud Wilkinson. Lance Lahnert (sp?) was always quality. John Beilue always came off as a little arrogant and condescending. I never got the idea that he liked much about WT, as it seems like he would take a veiled swipe at WT every chance he got. I might be way off on that. But those other guys is why you bought a paper. There was going to be some good local writing and entertainment.
              JON MARK BEILUE works for WT now. I like him.

https://www.wtamu.edu/jon-mark-beilu...G_rckB8d_rxjqw
              Last edited by WT_TKW; 10-09-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

JON MARK BEILUE works for WT now. I like him.

https://www.wtamu.edu/jon-mark-beilu...G_rckB8d_rxjqw

He might work for WT and be the best guy ever, but I remember him taking A LOT of shots at WT over the years.

Comment

Herb Street are you Jon Mark Beilue?

Comment

Amarillo does have a large Tech Alum base. But, I do concede the paper being local should focus more on local stories. Regional after that.

As others have stated, with the onset of the internet newspapers are no longer ran as they were in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan88 View Post
                      Herb Street are you Jon Mark Beilue?
                      yes

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X