Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the Oilers trained at Angelo State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPA...layer_embedded

Man this brings back some great memories and thought some of you Angelo peeps would like this. . I forgot they used to hold camp back in the day at Angelo of all places. It was crime against humanity the NFL allowed Bud Adams to keep the Oiler name and colors.

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Man this brings back some great memories and thought some of you Angelo peeps would like this. . I forgot they used to hold camp back in the day at Angelo of all places. It was crime against humanity the NFL allowed Bud Adams to keep the Oiler name and colors.
    Bud Adams was probably the closest thing a real live person could ever get to the Grinch. He had a special way of making you not care for him. Most likely due to the fact that he never had to work a day in his life. His dad was the chairman of Phillips Petroleum and everything was handed to Bud on a silver platter. He was given businesses like Service Transport and property and everything was managed for him, Because of the oil connections, Lamar Hunt invited Bud to pro football. It was vindictive for Bud to keep the Oiler name and colors plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Bud Adams was probably the closest thing a real live person could ever get to the Grinch. He had a special way of making you not care for him. Most likely due to the fact that he never had to work a day in his life. His dad was the chairman of Phillips Petroleum and everything was handed to Bud on a silver platter. He was given businesses like Service Transport and property and everything was managed for him, Because of the oil connections, Lamar Hunt invited Bud to pro football. It was vindictive for Bud to keep the Oiler name and colors plain and simple.
      Pretty much on target. He is THE reason the stadium vote went down in flames and he took his toys and went Nashville. It would have passed with flying colors had the name Adams not been associated with the Oilers in any fashion.

At least Jerry was smart enough to take the consultants advice when he wanted the taxpayers of Arlington to flip some of the cost. They told him to stay out of the public eye and don't push the vote in any forum and he pretty much followed the advice.

Comment

Pretty much on target. He is THE reason the stadium vote went down in flames and he took his toys and went Nashville. It would have passed with flying colors had the name Adams not been associated with the Oilers in any fashion.

At least Jerry was smart enough to take the consultants advice when he wanted the taxpayers of Arlington to flip some of the cost. They told him to stay out of the public eye and don't push the vote in any forum and he pretty much followed the advice.
        Bud just had a sour diposition of ENTITLEMENT. He was the first millennial. Just a little before his time.

Comment

Thanks for posting this LSC Fan. I was a junior at ASU in 1978. Used to go to the Oilers practices as often as possible. Big, big deal in SA. You would see those guys jogging up and down Knickerbocker Road and you couldn't believe your eyes. Earl Campbell had a favorite corner seat at the bar at the most popular club in town. Very humble guy with Robert Newhouse thighs. Surprised the ground didn't rumble when he walked. The biggest downside...every single female forgot about us regular guys and were on the prowl for an OIler.

Comment

Thanks for posting! I was a season ticket holder that year, It was a lot of fun! It was great seeing Dan Pastorini be productive after laying on his back for about 8 years. Earl was great, and they did find some amazing free agents. The following season was even better, but then Bum traded Pastorini for a worn out snake, which eventually cost him his job. The Oilers crashed after that. Bum, Earl, and the worn out snake went to New Orleans where they didn't find much success.

Bud Adams demanded a major renovation to the Astrodome, including 10K more seats, and got it. The following year he demanded a new stadium, which he didn't get. Only 30 people showed up at the Save the Oilers rally.

I used to get my Buick serviced at a dealership owned by Bud. The stories they told me about him were terrible.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X