Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: WT - Head Volleyball Coach Skoch let go

Its official, Kendra Morgan Potts is coming home!

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2018/12/1...ead-coach.aspx

Comment

Kendra Potts

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
        Rocky Mountain High?....
        Yea turns out he must have had the really, really good stuff going when typed that.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
          Yea turns out he must have had the really, really good stuff going when typed that.
          LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
            In this case, no. More like a coming-back-to-Texas, end-of-career move.
            From Mick Haley to a woman who has never been a college head coach before. Quite the drop-off.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
              From Mick Haley to a woman who has never been a college head coach before. Quite the drop-off.
              Good point. If only Colby had been a head coach before Commerce then maybe we would have a national championsh... wait, nevermind.

Comment

Ya who wouldn't want a 75 year old in the twilight of their career coaching their women's D2 college volleyball team and who sued his former school? Come on... Recruiting is tough enough as it is.

Potts will succeed well. She is deeply connected in the Texas club volleyball circuit which will dramatically improve recruiting. She is a proven winner, and has coached D1 College volleyball. Not head, but lets not be unrealistic here. Im excited about the hire.

Comment

This is another very good hire by our AD.
                  Don't know how long it will take to "right-the-ship," however, this is a big step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
                    This is another very good hire by our AD.
                    Don't know how long it will take to "right-the-ship," however, this is a big step in the right direction.
                    If you look at the roster, 5 players (and their parents) have been removed from the roster. I believe Potts will be able to re-establish WT as a top choice for the top local players. The Panhandle is one of the most fertile VB recruiting grounds in Texas. The previous coach had poisoned the waters around here. Kids didn't want to play for him. He didn't recruit them. If Potts can get 2 or 3 of the top local talents every year, WT will be competing nationally again. I bet she'll go out and bag few D1 transfers and some juices for next year and sign 6 or 7 new freshmen.

I bet our AD made another great hire.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                      If you look at the roster, 5 players (and their parents) have been removed from the roster. I believe Potts will be able to re-establish WT as a top choice for the top local players. The Panhandle is one of the most fertile VB recruiting grounds in Texas. The previous coach had poisoned the waters around here. Kids didn't want to play for him. He didn't recruit them. If Potts can get 2 or 3 of the top local talents every year, WT will be competing nationally again. I bet she'll go out and bag few D1 transfers and some juices for next year and sign 6 or 7 new freshmen.

I bet our AD made another great hire.
                      Curious.......What makes you say that?

(I am not a VB guy....even though my DIL played college VB. Shame on me).

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                        Curious.......What makes you say that?

(I am not a VB guy....even though my DIL played college VB. Shame on me).
                        The Panhandle turns out about 20 kids a year that go on to play college ball. WT has had several AAs from this area, including NCAA D2 POY Sarah Butler Cartel, a Canyon girl. About 5 or 6 D1s every year. WT had basically ceded these kids under Skoch. For a small population, the talent turned out every year in this area is disproportional. Angelo, Tarleton, Midwestern, Eastern, even Kingsville recruits heavily here. Thru the years their rosters have had plenty Panhandle talent. WT needs to and should get 2 or 3 of the top kids every year. That hasn't been happening. Many of the best kids here say Skoch never recruited them. Never came to watch. Never talked to them. WTF??? He'd go out and get some project from Oregon or N Carolina or Arizona and ignore a potential all-conference kid 10 miles down the road. After a while, those kids down the road quit considering WT.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-10-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

pros and cons on that one. In five years he's 80.

Comment

Word had gotten around throughout the state of the Texas club levels grapevine that Skoch's WT was not a place you wanted to go play for. That's one of the reasons the talent dried up at WT the past 4 or 5 years. Word gets around.

I believe Potts will change that immediately. Talented kids who haven't had WT on their radar will be receptive to the new HC. WT VB fans are going to see better talent and a product that will be more commensurate with the WT VB tradition.
                            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Word had gotten around throughout the state of the Texas club levels grapevine that Skoch's WT was not a place you wanted to go play for. That's one of the reasons the talent died up at WT the past 4 or 5 years.
                              I think that was evident based on where he was being forced to pull recruits from.

Comment

The Panhandle turns out about 20 kids a year that go on to play college ball. WT has had several AAs from this area, including NCAA D2 POY Sarah Butler Cartel, a Canyon girl. About 5 or 6 D1s every year. WT had basically ceded these kids under Skoch. For a small population, the talent turned out every year in this area is disproportional. Angelo, Tarleton, Midwestern, Eastern, even Kingsville recruits heavily here. Thru the years their rosters have had plenty Panhandle talent. WT needs to and should get 2 or 3 of the top kids every year. That hasn't been happening. Many of the best kids here say Skoch never recruited them. Never came to watch. Never talked to them. WTF??? He'd go out and get some project from Oregon or N Carolina or Arizona and ignore a potential all-conference kid 10 miles down the road. After a while, those kids down the road quit considering WT.
                                Word had gotten around throughout the state of the Texas club levels grapevine that Skoch's WT was not a place you wanted to go play for. That's one of the reasons the talent dried up at WT the past 4 or 5 years. Word gets around.

I believe Potts will change that immediately. Talented kids who haven't had WT on their radar will be receptive to the new HC. WT VB fans are going to see better talent and a product that will be more commensurate with the WT VB tradition.
                                Thanks for the info.

How long do you think it will take to fix the recruiting issues?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X