Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McDonough Resigns as WT Offensive Coordinator!

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McDonough Resigns as WT Offensive Coordinator!

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    Yes. That's what I would assume.

I wonder the caliber of the applicants. Any info on that?
    100 seems like a whole lot of applicants for a coordinator slot. Do D2 Head Coaching jobs even draw those numbers of applicants? I thought most of these jobs were filled with the HC picking up the phone and making calls to different coaches to gauge interest?

Applications sounds so high school job like.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      100 seems like a whole lot of applicants for a coordinator slot. Do D2 Head Coaching jobs even draw those numbers of applicants? I thought most of these jobs were filled with the HC picking up the phone and making calls to different coaches to gauge interest?

Seriously?....

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

You are absolutely correct. Most HC's have a very large circle and they bring in guys they know and are comfortable working with. Even at the HS level.

This is more difficult for a few different reasons: if your HC is younger/newer; doesn't have a large circle; or sometimes is not respected by his peers.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          You are absolutely correct. Most HC's have a very large circle and they bring in guys they know and are comfortable working with. Even at the HS level.

This is more difficult for a few different reasons: if your HC is younger/newer; doesn't have a large circle; or sometimes is not respected by his peers.
          Hughes' initial OC hire was a well-known commodity to Hughes. They coached together and coached against each other. I've gotten the vibe he's taking an "outside the box" approach to this make-or-break hire. If Hughes' Buffs are to to make strides from a wobbly 6-5 season to solid 8 plus wins every year, Hughes has to have a better offensive scheme, execution, and talent than we had last year. He knows it.
          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-14-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
            Hughes' initial OC hire was a well-known commodity to Hughes. They coached together and coached against each other. I've gotten the vibe he's taking an "outside the box" approach to this make-or-break hire. If Hughes' Buffs are to to make strides from a wobbly 6-5 season to solid 8 plus wins every year, Hughes has to have a better offensive scheme, execution, and talent than we had last year. He knows it.
            Well it beginning to feel like he is over thinking it. That defense and special teams did pretty well considering how bad the offense was at times. With the resources and talent he has available he just needs to find someone to run a successfull zone run scheme with play action passing offense. They are easy to find, why complicate things, go get someone who plays football the way you want and win.
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

[QUOTE=Boohaha;2330065]Well it beginning to feel like he is over thinking it. That defense and special teams did pretty well considering how bad the offense was at times. With the resources and talent he has available he just needs to find someone to run a successfull zone run scheme with play action passing offense. They are easy to find, why complicate things, go get someone who plays football the way you want and win.[/QUO

I don't think he's overthinking the offense. I think he's looking for a great "coach" first. WT's execution under McDonough was, IMO, hit and miss. I know we lacked talent at QB and injuries hurt immensely, but, even when we were healthy early on our offense was lackluster. It's easy to forget that WT is a work in progress, halfway up the hill and working hard to overcome that incline. No one saw McDonough's offensive direction in the future, based on what we saw in the present, as getting out of it's own way. I hope the new OC comes in and puts some energy and sense of urgency into their side of the ball. Attitude. Some swagger.

I'm not sure I'm making any sense of it.:confused:

Comment

Comment

Good points! Good viewpoint!

I woudn't greatly disagree. Where I diverge, is what I think Hughes' ideal offense would be. That would be be an offense geared for a 60% run 40% pass that can control the LOS, dominate TOP, and have a defense that gets stops. That's a pretty good recipe for a playoff team year in and out. Can he get there? That's the real question.

Comment

No news yet on a new OC. That is a Hughes call all the way.

I have heard recruiting is going extremely well. Several jucos are already in the fold. And HS recruiting is getting hot and heavy.
                    Have you heard anything on the retention of players for next year? I ask because ive seen an insane amount of offers given out by WT for this cycle. Upwards of 100 already

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                      Have you heard anything on the retention of players for next year? I ask because ive seen an insane amount of offers given out by WT for this cycle. Upwards of 100 already
                      No. All I've kept up with are the listings on thelscscoop.blogspot.com. On there, it shows numerous high school offers and 15 juco offers. Heavy juco, which for right now in the WT rebuild plan, I agree with. They offered a fleet of juco OLs, DLs, and, DBs. And a couple juco QBs, as well as 3 or 4 HS QBs.

I don't haunt twitter to get more info. I should.

Comment

No. All I've kept up with are the listings on thelscscoop.blogspot.com. On there, it shows numerous high school offers and 15 juco offers. Heavy juco, which for right now in the WT rebuild plan, I agree with. They offered a fleet of juco OLs, DLs, and, DBs. And a couple juco QBs, as well as 3 or 4 HS QBs.

I don't haunt twitter to get more info. I should.
                        Yeah im only referring to whats on Twitter. I didn't realize the scoop website tracking already

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                          WT giving out a ton of scholarships....oh the irony. There's gonna be some crow chewin' going on around here. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                            WT giving out a ton of scholarships....oh the irony. There's gonna be some crow chewin' going on around here. ;)
                            Looks like Hughes is following the Carthel model. That worked at WT and Commerce. Why not for Hughes? I did chat with one assist coach. He said WT was getting very good reception from recruits. Much more so than in the previous two recruiting cycles.

Comment

I totally agree, but had to take the annual beating of "that's just horrible for the kids/how can you coach that many/nobody goes there for $500" from many a WT fan

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                                I totally agree, but had to take the annual beating of "that's just horrible for the kids/how can you coach that many/nobody goes there for $500" from many a WT fan
                                I personally don't care the recruiting approach in terms of numbers... But I don't understand how you keep that many players happy. I guess we will see how it all unfolds the next couple of years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X