Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
    This wasn't a football game. This was a trampling. The Javelinas looked like a high school football team. I think that Tarleton State might score 90 next week.....before the half. I'm not sure if the Hogs will win another game this season. It would take a miracle to beat Tarleton State. West Texas is actually a pretty decent team this year. Our best chance is against UT Permian Basin. The fact that I am unsure about beating UT-Permian Basin might be the saddest indicator of how low we've sunk (no offense intended to UTPB). The Javelina football team is now a program that needs to be rebuilt completely.

Comment

I suspect that this is Coach Wilkinson's last season with the Hogs. I was excited when he was hired; but, it just hasn't worked out. I think that it may be that he isn't a good fit for the program. Then again, there might not be a good fit for a football program that the school seems to have put on the back burner.

What about Athletic Director Steve Roach? What is his view of this debacle?

Surely there is a coach who can be successful at building a program from the ground up. They need someone who understands coaching AND recruiting. However, they also need someone who will pressure the school, athletic director AND Texas A&M University System to act on the program's behalf.

Comment

How long has the football team not been fully funded? I remember talking about this a few years ago and was told we've been at the max for years. Now you're saying we weren't/aren't fully funding. How many schollies are we funding and for how long have we been short?

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post

How long has the football team not been fully funded? I remember talking about this a few years ago and was told we've been at the max for years. Now you're saying we weren't/aren't fully funding. How many schollies are we funding and for how long have we been short?
          I hear conflicting info on the numbers. And this goes to the heart of the problem down there with the administration failing to be open about why the program is the football version of Chernobyl right now. It's not up to you nor I to go personally address our concerns with those in charge down there. It's waaaaayyyy past the point of the casual email or chat at a tailgate with someone who will forget your name the second the conversation ends. This is where real leadership should step in and start the process of fixing this non sense today and just come out with the facts or why we are here today looking at THE worst season in program history and how to fix the damn thing from here on out. And what it will take in manpower and money to get it done. And with that swallow the damn pride down there and ask EVERYONE who gives a flying flip to help including the "A&I till I die" crowd who they've told to eat crap for the last few years to join in.

I'm tired of excuses and want accountability and a plan to fix this crap!

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post

I suspect that this is Coach Wilkinson's last season with the Hogs. I was excited when he was hired; but, it just hasn't worked out. I think that it may be that he isn't a good fit for the program. Then again, there might not be a good fit for a football program that the school seems to have put on the back burner.

What about Athletic Director Steve Roach? What is his view of this debacle?

Surely there is a coach who can be successful at building a program from the ground up. They need someone who understands coaching AND recruiting. However, they also need someone who will pressure the school, athletic director AND Texas A&M University System to act on the program's behalf.
            Chris.

I too thought Wilk was a good fit and it looked that way for the first two seasons. But now looking back it almost looks like a carbon copy in some ways to Coach Bo's tenure where he had two or three solid seasons and then almost of a turn of a dime went south in a hurry. Albeit at least the two really good season under Bo got us into the playoffs and some quality wins during that time span too. I don't know if the leadership at the time did the same thing with both staffs by promising them every tool they needed such as having every scholarship dollar available along with the long needed facility improvements and then as time passed and those things never came to fruition, the fire and passion went out and both coaching tenures ended up as train wrecks? I really don't know other than the same common denominator is at play and if we are not addressing them now or have a plan to address them, whomever comes in next will just be a rinse and repeat of the last nine seasons.

I think all staffs from Bo to current also got orders to focus recruiting more on a local level which has been a disaster. I don't know if that was a calculation to focus more on brand marketing in the RGV for example and to get more people in the gates because local kids are playing. Back in the day we didn't give a rats ass where you came from as long as you could play ball, you were part of the family and the same locals they might be trying to attract showed up more than they do know because obviously the product was no where near the crap sandwich we are having to eat now. But I have noticed more players on rosters from San Antonio down to the Rio Grande when anyone who knows recruiting in Texas knows you get your best players north of I-10 and really for down here, it's almost exclusively the Houston area or the Texas JUCO's which have been largely absent on our rosters for years too. Now this could tie into the lack of recruiting resources too and if so, the guys who currently occupy (or have occupied) College Hall and the AD's office should be hammered over and over for this idiocy. Because if a possible 1-10 record doesn't shake them, I really don't know what in heck will?

About Roach and his thinking on this? I think many would like to know what he thinks. Either it must be the best kept secret in the world or he really hasn't been pressed on the issue either by the press or concerned stakeholders such as Boosters and alums. This is when I wish we had an active newspaper in the area like we once had who ask the questions, but the Caller Time pretty much only prints the school press releases with some minor tweaks. The beat reporter who covered the Javs for years was let go a couple of years ago thanks in part to USA Today buying the paper along with others and USA Today is a sinking ship itself. I almost want to go to the Homecoming Tailgate this Saturday just to find him and press him on the issue and then come back home because I certainly don't want to stay for a 70 point beatdown. You would think a whole bunch of others would do the same?
            Last edited by LSC Fan; 10-20-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
              MSU up 63-35 with 1:35 to go and they keep running the ball. They're down to the 2 yard line and trying for one more score. Yep, they score.

MSU 70-35 with 49 seconds left to play.
              I wonder if Maskil is going to retire this year and this was his parting gift to us? None the less, our defense as demoralized as they played should have stopped them. I believe every team should pay a full 60 and if the football rules makers wanted to give the team an option to just ask the ref to run the clock instead of taking snaps, they would throw the rule in there in this day of over protecting the QB's, tinkering with the kick off return rules and over defining what is targeting and a legit hit.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Chris.

I too thought Wilk was a good fit and it looked that way for the first two seasons. But now looking back it almost looks like a carbon copy in some ways to Coach Bo's tenure where he had two or three solid seasons and then almost of a turn of a dime went south in a hurry. Albeit at least the two really good season under Bo got us into the playoffs and some quality wins during that time span too. I don't know if the leadership at the time did the same thing with both staffs by promising them every tool they needed such as having every scholarship dollar available along with the long needed facility improvements and then as time passed and those things never came to fruition, the fire and passion went out and both coaching tenures ended up as train wrecks? I really don't know other than the same common denominator is at play and if we are not addressing them now or have a plan to address them, whomever comes in next will just be a rinse and repeat of the last nine seasons.

I think all staffs from Bo to current also got orders to focus recruiting more on a local level which has been a disaster. I don't know if that was a calculation to focus more on brand marketing in the RGV for example and to get more people in the gates because local kids are playing. Back in the day we didn't give a rats ass where you came from as long as you could play ball, you were part of the family and the same locals they might be trying to attract showed up more than they do know because obviously the product was no where near the crap sandwich we are having to eat now. But I have noticed more players on rosters from San Antonio down to the Rio Grande when anyone who knows recruiting in Texas knows you get your best players north of I-10 and really for down here, it's almost exclusively the Houston area or the Texas JUCO's which have been largely absent on our rosters for years too. Now this could tie into the lack of recruiting resources too and if so, the guys who currently occupy (or have occupied) College Hall and the AD's office should be hammered over and over for this idiocy. Because if a possible 1-10 record doesn't shake them, I really don't know what in heck will?

About Roach and his thinking on this? I think many would like to know what he thinks. Either it must be the best kept secret in the world or he really hasn't been pressed on the issue either by the press or concerned stakeholders such as Boosters and alums. This is when I wish we had an active newspaper in the area like we once had who ask the questions, but the Caller Time pretty much only prints the school press releases with some minor tweaks. The beat reporter who covered the Javs for years was let go a couple of years ago thanks in part to USA Today buying the paper along with others and USA Today is a sinking ship itself. I almost want to go to the Homecoming Tailgate this Saturday just to find him and press him on the issue and then come back home because I certainly don't want to stay for a 70 point beatdown. You would think a whole bunch of others would do the same?
                I feel for you brother!!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Chris.

I almost want to go to the Homecoming Tailgate this Saturday just to find him and press him on the issue and then come back home because I certainly don't want to stay for a 70 point beatdown. You would think a whole bunch of others would do the same?
                  Let us know if you do! I think that the only thing worse than leaving to avoid a 70-point beatdown would be to not go in the first place. I have plenty of friends who used to attend Javelina Homecoming festivities. It has been a few years now since I've seen most of them go.

Comment

Comment

And if it was a carbon copy administrative approach you were referring to I agree, but results far different.

Comment

Originally posted by LSCoutsider View Post
                        And if it was a carbon copy administrative approach you were referring to I agree, but results far different.
                        Pretty much. But the results albeit not an exact carbon copy kind of followed the same path. And to clarify, I'm combining the Coach Bo era with the brief Calloway tenure since he basically took over what was left on the shelf from the last season under Coach Bo since he as named coach without even a search being done. That right off the bat should have been a tell tell sign how much commitment the AD at the time had for the football program.

The NCAA came in 1999 and that season along with 2000 was bad, but not as bad as this current fiasco by a long shot. What did occur is we made four consecutive playoff runs beginning in 2001 and nearly making the title game in one of those runs and probably would have if our starting QB had not been playing injured.
                        Last edited by LSC Fan; 10-20-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I feel for you brother!!
                          Thanks man. I look forward to the day when you welcome all the TAMUK band wagon fans to the board like you have the Commerce fans and this years Tarleton fans. With the way things are going and the lack of any indication we have a plan, I might be approaching retirement age before that occurs and I'm 48. Seriously.

Comment

Comment

I thought TAMK would have righted the ship by now especially before WT. Jury is still out on Hughes but disappointing on the other CSU-Pueblo hire for the Javs. Never thought I would see the day where the Javs would be towards the bottom of the division year in and year out.

Comment

Nothing occurred in 2004 as far as NCAA stuff that required an asterisk. All of that occured in 1999 into 2000.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X