Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I've heard thru the grapevine that interest in the job is very high. Some "exceptional" coaches have interviewed. Don't expect an announcement this week.
    The posting period ends today at 5 p.m. We should hear something soon.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• Josh Prock announced that he will be departing from his role as the head coach of the Eastern New Mexico women's basketball program to become the West Texas A&M women's basketball head coach.
      Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

• NM
        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-29-2021, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• I don't know much about him...is he an upgrade from Mattio or a lateral hire?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
            I don't know much about him...is he an upgrade from Mattio or a lateral hire?
            I think he's done a very good job at Portales. Emphasis on PORTALES. I bet his ENMU budget is a dwarf compared to what he'll have to work with in Canyon. He's recruited well. He's had a winner where winning programs have been few and far between.

I would say on the face of it it's a safe hire. But if you dig a bit deeper, Prock was very successful at Howard Payne, something like 130-30 before he went to Eastern. He beat LCU two years ago at home, 69-68.

I predict it'll be more of the same.....LCU and WT fighting it out with Commerce trailing them. I'd make book that McBroom wouldn't have hired Prock if he didn't believe Prock could stop the stranglehold LCU and Gomez have had on the LSC. We'll just have to see how he does.

Comment

• IMHO this is a good hire. Time will tell if it is a great hire. He has produced winners everywhere he has been. The last two times we played ENMU the difference in the game was we had Lexy and he didn't. The girls play hard from him and he makes good in-game decisions. I am looking forward to watching the Lady Buffs. According to oldbuff he will not have any talent to work with, guess we will be lucky to be .500
              Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 05-30-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                IMHO this is a good hire. Time will tell if it is a great hire. He has produced winners everywhere he has been. The last two times we played ENMU the difference in the game was we had Lexy and he didn't. The girls play hard from him and he makes good in-game decisions. I am looking forward to watching the Lady Buffs. According to oldbuff he will not have any talent to work with, guess we will be lucky to be .500
                An absolute great hire. Josh is a great coach and an even better person.
                I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

IMHO this is a good hire. Time will tell if it is a great hire. He has produced winners everywhere he has been. The last two times we played ENMU the difference in the game was we had Lexy and he didn't. The girls play hard from him and he makes good in-game decisions. I am looking forward to watching the Lady Buffs. According to oldbuff he will not have any talent to work with, guess we will be lucky to be .500
                  Yep! The talent is a concern but Prock probably knows that. It appears he has shown the ability to produce winners. So if he is able to motivate players and make pressure decisions, both of which his predecessor could not do, then perhaps some latent talent will emerge from the returnees. But he will still need to recruit better and hopefully be able to lure some local talent to WT that LCU has monopolized. You bet. Optimism returns for Lady Buffs basketball.

Comment

• Well, go look at Tx Tech's roster. At least we keep them in the same country.

Comment

• I am really not interested in where a girl is from. If you're interested in local girls-go to high school games.

Comment

• [QUOTEI am really not interested in where a girl is from. If you're interested in local girls-go to high school games.][/QUOTE]

I couldn't care less either.......as long as they are good and win. That's the point. Look at LCU's roster. 12 of 16 girls were from Lubbock north and what has LCU done: beat the Lady Buffs like a drum, dominated LSC and won NC. So why not go after good local girls (unlike Mattio who either couldn't or wouldn't recruit them).
                        Last edited by oldbuff; 05-31-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• I've noticed Prock's ENMU rosters are chock full of 1 and 2 year transfers. AD McBroom sees transfers as only a last resort to fill immediate needs. He prefers 4/5 year kids (except in baseball which is a separate animal all together). Will Prock continue with the transfer fest or head for the high schools?

Comment

• As I looked at the Wt roster this morning there have been some changes. Most notably the 6'3" post from Tarlton is no longer listed. She was recruited by Kristin out of HS. No surprise she's not coming. There are some others that I don't recall also not on the roster. As of now, Wt needs a big girl. Maybe our new coach will have some contacts to get one.

It looks to me that the transfer portal has changed the landscape of recurring, and not for the better. IMHO most coaches will go for the one or two-year player instead of incoming freshmen. That's not a change I like. You spend time, effort, and money on a player and another team gets the rewards.

Comment

• I was able to attend the presser for Coach Prock. I am very impressed. I was able to have a brief conversation with him. He has a clear sense of direction for Wt Lady Buffs and understands the history and tradition of the program. Several of the players and one of the incoming freshmen were also there. The Lady Buffs are in good hands and the future is bright. In a word, he is a winner on and off the court.

As a side note for oldbuff: The following quote may not be word for word correct, however, you will understand the intent. "We are going to build a fence around the Panhandle of Texas. I am not going to let other schools come in and get my girls."

We will see how this works out.

Comment

As I looked at the Wt roster this morning there have been some changes. Most notably the 6'3" post from Tarlton is no longer listed. She was recruited by Kristin out of HS. No surprise she's not coming. There are some others that I don't recall also not on the roster. As of now, Wt needs a big girl. Maybe our new coach will have some contacts to get one.

It looks to me that the transfer portal has changed the landscape of recurring, and not for the better. IMHO most coaches will go for the one or two-year player instead of incoming freshmen. That's not a change I like. You spend time, effort, and money on a player and another team gets the rewards.
                                Yeah the post from Tarleton followed Mattio to Colorado.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X