Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk all the RUMORS you want. Because that's all it is RUMORS. WT has NOT, I repeat HAS NOT received an invite to ANY D1. And you can't think about moving up to D1 until you receive an invite from a conference. Just like ACU, UIW, and Tarleton did when they were D2.

I too was told, by who I thought was a reliable source, that WT & ASU were being courted along with an unnamed third LSC school..That info turned out to be completely untrue for all those schools.

I am not saying that several LSC schools are not discussing a move, feeling out the climate, etc. Of course they are. But that means NOTHING.

Maybe "one day" WT will receive that interest and invite from a D1 conference, but not "to-day".

Next.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      Talk all the RUMORS you want. Because that's all it is RUMORS. WT has NOT, I repeat HAS NOT received an invite to ANY D1. And you can't think about moving up to D1 until you receive an invite from a conference. Just like ACU, UIW, and Tarleton did when they were D2.

I too was told, by who I thought was a reliable source, that WT & ASU were being courted along with an unnamed third LSC school..That info turned out to be completely untrue for all those schools.

I am not saying that several LSC schools are not discussing a move, feeling out the climate, etc. Of course they are. But that means NOTHING.

Maybe "one day" WT will receive that interest and invite from a D1 conference, but not "to-day".

Next.....
      I agree not today. My thinking is the next two to three years to allow Tarleton, Cal Baptist, and Dixie to be wrapping up transition.

Comment

• Oh NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo! I was so looking forward to seeing D1 stalwarts like New Mexico State and McNeese State coming back to Canyon. The 2-9 records for the foreseeable future will be missed too. Maybe Hughes can get us to 9-2 this year, especially with the 2 laughers against NAIA teams.

I don't think WT will ever go back to D1 under the current admin, unless it's mandated by the mothership.

Comment

• Last edited by BuffaloChip; 04-24-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Chip, I don't know if you heard of this new technology by Neuralink but I thought I would send you the link to watch. Cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXrGH52aoM

Comment

• Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Chip, I don't know if you heard of this new technology by Neuralink but I thought I would send you the link to watch. Cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXrGH52aoM
              Elon Musk is 100% a pathological psychopath!! And that's what it takes to attempt the things he does. One has to live in an altered state of reality to even think like him. Mental illness has allowed for the creation of some of the greatest things known to mankind.

Cheers to all the nuts in this world!!

Comment

• Or winning Coaches, remember they fired Joe Kerbel, one heck of a d1 coach did great with a small budget beat TT, Arizona St to name a couple. Leadership fired him for no good reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by bufffan78 View Post

Or winning Coaches, remember they fired Joe Kerbel, one heck of a d1 coach did great with a small budget beat TT, Arizona St to name a couple. Leadership fired him for no good reason.
                  According to a former employee of Kerbel's, very close to him, he spent money like he had a "BIG" budget and told leadership to go f*ck themselves and just cover it. Whether firing him was the right move, who knows? I was just a young student when it happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

According to a former employee of Kerbel's, very close to him, he spent money like he had a "BIG" budget and told leadership to go f*ck themselves and just cover it. Whether firing him was the right move, who knows? I was just a young student when it happened.
                    I don't think many thought it was the right move. Gene Mayfield, his successor, was a disaster, even worse than Nesbitt.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I don't think many thought it was the right move. Gene Mayfield, his successor, was a disaster, even worse than Nesbitt.
                      exactly, Kerbel could of led the Buffs when they moved to the MVP but they brought in HS Coach Mayfield, that was some boring football Kerbel was doing some amazing recruiting, then Bill Yung came had some good years and played some stiff competition. My fav game I saw was under Yung, not counting the games Dad took me too in the 60s when Mercury and many of Kerbels great players were there, anyway my Sr yr fall of 77 Buffs had a home game against Colo St U.. Rams were having a great year were 7 and 2 had just beaten a ranked team, came to Canyon. Rams players were quote in press that they were playing a high school level team.. well Bo Robinson ran all over them Buffs defense hung tough and ended in a 21 21 tie... basically a win for WT . Great game. Two years later Yung coached Buffs beat Oklahoma St 21 to 20 in Stillwater in Jimmy Johnsons first game as head coach at OSU. Sorry to of gone down memory lane.

Comment

• I realize old WT alums glorify Kerbel, like a football god, but didn't he only have a .564 win percentage?

Maybe I am not correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                          I realize old WT alums glorify Kerbel, like a football god, but didn't he only have a .564 win percentage?

Maybe I am not correct.
                          You are correct.

As colorful as Kerbel was, despite his few gloried wins over (today) Power 5 teams, and because WT had only occasional flashes of something-to-brag-about until 2005, St. Joe (not meant to be derisive) is canonized despite his middling all-time win %. And this comes from someone who, until my 2019 paralysis, never missed a WT game between 1968 and 1979, missed games in 1980 when I lived in NM, and only 5 or 6 games between 1981 and 2019......plus making a couple hundred road games. I watched Kerbel teams with great players like Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas. I count 3 friends plus 5 fraternity brothers who played for Kerbel. I spent two years in HS rehabbing from a knee injury using the WT training room/dressing room facilities and the wonderful help of the WT trainer in 1969-1970. I got an up close look at Kerbel.

One of my fraternity brothers (a very close friend and my attorney in Dallas for certain matters) was a 3 year starting center. He was coming to WT to play baseball when Kerbel convinced him he should play football. He puts his Kerbel years into perspective when we talk about them. He hated playing for the guy. Hated his guts at times. More times than not. He often wanted to kill the fat son-of-a b*tch. But......in retrospect, my friend learned the power of perseverance. He learned that rewards come to those who work to earn them. He learned you never quit. He learned that giving less than you are capable of is to be detested. And giving more than you ever thought you were capable of is what you should expect of yourself. He learned that success is based on preparation. He learned much at the hands of the coaching ex-Marine. He wouldn't exchange his experience playing for Kerbel for anything. He thanks the SOB (saint) for the successful life he leads.

Although Kerbel's record was good it was not the great winning percentage numbers you'd expect from a Saint. Greatness is not always measurable. Sometimes you have to measure it by the fruits of the tree.
                          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-10-2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Kerbel's winning percentage was closer to 62%, but he inherited a team that had won 2 games in the last 2 years. When I was really young, my 15 years-older brother would take me to WT games. I didn't care about or understand football, but I loved to watch Kerbel. He was a maniac, but he knew how to win. Let me know the next time WT wins the Sun Bowl, or has 2 running backs playing in a Super Bowl.

I agree with Chip, Kerbel's success can't be measured by winning percentage. He put WT on the D1 map. Gene Mayfield took us off.

Don Carthel inherited a similarly terrible team, and won 10 games his first year. He put WT on the D2 map. Mike Nesbitt took us off. Let me know when we are in the playoffs again.

Our most successful coaches ever, Kerbel and Carthel were both fired with a successor already lined up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kerbel

Comment

• Kerbel was playing big-boy ball. 62% at a mid-major, playing a bunch of future P5 teams and in the conference with the same, ain't bad. Not great, but not bad.

Don Carthel did great at WT as well, but he wasn't playing big boy ball. Two completely different eras, and there is no comparison to be made. D2 ball is about 3-4 talent rungs below where WT was playing when Kerbel was coach.

Comment

• It is IMPOSSIBLE and silly to try and compare athletes from the 60's with today's. A top Carthel WT team would destroy a top Kerbel WT team. Come on dude!!!

Today's players are bigger, faster, quicker, stronger, and smarter.

Of course every Era had its few freaks (i.e. 1960's Bob Hayes)....but over all, today's athlete is superior in every skill set.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X