Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Would a Kingsville / Corpus Merger happen?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

No way should Buc even be considered for an A&M CC football program if they ever try to start one let alone a combined university program. Although the stadium is good and in much better shape than Javelina Stadium, the neighborhood is less desired. It's in the industrial area and the hood itself has seen much better days. It would be an instant hurdle for recruiting and the parking sucks big time.

I would recommend they build a nice regional stadium between Corpus and Kingsville sort of like what Eastern New Mexico did for years with Black Water Draw. Look at Google maps and Driscoll would be a good spot. The now hardly used Minor League park just up the road in Robstown was tossed around for a combined baseball program to locate. So why the heck not? And this part of the state could use a showcase type of stadium for which Buc and Javelina used to be. Closest thing you get to this is in San Antonio or the Houston area.
    I guess my sarcastic emojis didn't come through. Maybe they can build a new stadium out in flour bluff with the ocean and the smell of the tide coming in. :D

Comment

Originally posted by chrisattsu View Post

It looks like Long Island University did it this summer and caused the heartburn
      https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...128-story.html

I have hard time imagining a split athletic department where some sports are played in Corpus and others in Kingsville. Even the idea of splitting the difference with a Black Water Draw somewhere in the middle is problematic because it doesnt create that "on campus" experience.

I think in the end, they have to pick one school to become the traditional residential campus with athletics and the other becomes a professional campus for people just trying to get degrees.Corpus could become the "urban" campus focused on business, medical, architecture, computer information system and Kingsville because of its history remains the traditional university campus with all other degrees and sports programs.

Or do you move the administration and the "flagship" to Corpus because it is in a population center with easier access to corporate money, larger sport facilities (ABC, Whataburger field). Kingsville becomes the research campus focused on Ag, engineering and other programs that are better situated away from the city.
      Thanks for the LIU link and yes that was a mess.

I think you are probably on the right track with the way this thing might follow IF it ever sees the light of day again in regards to who get what and where. A&M CC finally started a process which many have been advocating for a few years now and that is buying property in Downtown Corpus Christi. They are pretty much running out of real estate out there on the island and the land they own adjacent to island. They will need to reserve some for an on campus arena and convocation center which they approached the A&M BOR about a few weeks ago.

Who knows what is in store for both the next decade? I do wish for whatever reason the current TAMUK administration would just come out and tell us why they've allowed the football program to go down the drain the way it has and why no urgency to fix it? Are they thinking something like the merger is going to come around here soon, so why push the issue? Because like I posted on another thread, if one went into a coma in 2009 and came back to life in 2019 and read up on what has transpired this decade, they would have to conclude it was deliberate or pretty close to self sabotage with cutting schollies and totally ignoring the infrastructure. Because no program interested in generational success would have not allowed two to three years of this crap show vs a whole decade of it to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I guess my sarcastic emojis didn't come through. Maybe they can build a new stadium out in flour bluff with the ocean and the smell of the tide coming in. :D
        Ha. Actually the area before you cross into Flour Bluff over the Oso might not be that bad of an idea. It's close to campus and you could have a nice view of the bay off the bluff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6832...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Ha. Actually the area before you cross into Flour Bluff over the Oso might not be that bad of an idea. It's close to campus and you could have a nice view of the bay off the bluff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6832...7i13312!8i6656
          LOL. It will be like candlestick park where the seagulls are constantly on the field and crapping on the fans trying to steal their food.

Better yet relocate it northwest of the city where fans can tailgate and float the Nueces river before the game. :D

Comment

LOL. It will be like candlestick park where the seagulls are constantly on the field and crapping on the fans trying to steal their food.

Better yet relocate it northwest of the city where fans can tailgate and float the Nueces river before the game. :D
            Lol. I've been going over to Whataburger Field right off the bayfront for now 10 years and some change and have yet to be crapped on by gull or have snatch a fry or hot dog from me.

And we get the gulls out here on the Northwest side of town where I live and have my office at. Damn things crap on my truck in the parking lot almost daily.

Comment

Haha. I kind of miss Candlestick Park (San Francisco). The seagulls always seemed to realize when the game was over and would flood into the stadium. Despite its age, Candlestick Park wasn't that bad. I liked it more than Levi's Stadium.

Levi's Stadium is more convenient (I can walk a block away and catch Caltrain and then take the light rail directly to the stadium). However, Levi's Stadium is off the South Bay and is constructed in such a way that it blocks the cool Pacific wind. It feels like its 100 degrees in the stadium even on a 65 degree August afternoon.

As for the rumors: I don't believe them. Javelina football has a tradition going back nearly 100 years. If the A&I-til-they-die folk were upset with the name change 26 years ago, I can only imagine what would happen if the school dropped Javelina football (or merged it and re-branded it as the Islanders). I don't think that the school intentionally wanted to end the football program.

I think that hiring Coach Wilkinson -- coming from a recent D2 championship game victory -- was an act of good faith. It just hasn't turned out as the administration hoped. At this point, I don't know what could "fix" the problem. As for coaches: I'd still give Art Briles that "second chance" call. However, the school would need a good AD to make it work.

Comment

I think that "smell" is the key word. Does it still have that very peculiar (and not in a good way) odor along SPID in that area? It used to be bad enough to make you lose your appetite.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X