• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post

Former WT Assistant coach
    Not to mention a Javelina Alumni

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Why would you use people who didn't get it right the first time?? The last committee Wt had started the Ronnie Jones mistake. Followed by the AD hiring Don Carthel.
      It might be wise to ask some new blood to join the effort this time. I mean there are some fine names on that list noted above , but I don't think a few of them really have a handle on the whole picture down here. To cut to the chase, some of them have other priorities due to their current careers are located way away from down here and the rot and decay the program has fallen into probably is not visible to them other than by the W/L record because they are not close to the situation. In other words, they might not appreciate how deep the underlying issues are hurting the program. If the AD is interested in forming committees this time around, he needs to form one to address and come up with solutions to the other issues the program faces with folks with some new ideas and perspectives.

Comment

What would it take to get someone like Lee Hays? I mean, he might not want to leave Texas Tech -- except for the fact that he would be the head coach in Kingsville.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
          What would it take to get someone like Lee Hays? I mean, he might not want to leave Texas Tech -- except for the fact that he would be the head coach in Kingsville.
          But then again, after spending some time in Lubbock, he might be looking for a way to get out as fast as he can, ;-)

Comment

Kingsberry fired Hayes the year before he got let go at Texas Tech. I think Hayes is currently a high school assistant coach in Lubbock

Comment

Mike Schultz out at Lamar. He might be a good choice. Former OC at TCU under Franchione, helped develop Ladanian Tomlinson and Andy Dalton there.

Comment

Wake the heck up administration! The off season is not the time to fall asleep even during a coaching search. When you have one the better high school beat reporters tweeting this and the responses echo it, then you have to get proactive. SMH!

https://twitter.com/Matt_Stepp817/st...92659599847427

Disappointed to hear about the condition Javelina Stadium down in Kingsville is in...was wondering why they weren't hosting any playoff games....very sad that they've let that place deteriorate #txhsfb

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                  Mike Schultz out at Lamar. He might be a good choice. Former OC at TCU under Franchione, helped develop Ladanian Tomlinson and Andy Dalton there.
                  I'm not sure an older established coach is the answer, Guy Morris ring a bell? Kingsville needs a hungry go getter who can win recruits with a visoon and is willing to go with non traditional players. How many coaches would have gone after Perez, or any of those big h back/tight ends the Carthels love? Not many, but that's what made don and Colby great, they would risk taking a kid that was on paper too slow, too big, or just weird and win.
                  I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

How many of us have first hand knowledge of the type of player Coach Wilk went after? How many of us know how "hungry" he is? I dont want to come off as blindly defending him or blindly defending the situation we have in Kingsville, but for anybody to think that a new, young, hungry, great recruiting HC is the sole answer is a mistake. Again, Wilk may have been everyone of those things. I remember the type of players he was going after his first two years but was unable to land. Was it because he wasn't charismatic enough or couldn't seal the deal or was it because they'd look at our facilities (or lack of) and say "no thanks"? I agree our new HC needs to be all those things, but if we dont address the other issues, we'll be facing the same situation we're in now.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                      How many of us have first hand knowledge of the type of player Coach Wilk went after? How many of us know how "hungry" he is? I dont want to come off as blindly defending him or blindly defending the situation we have in Kingsville, but for anybody to think that a new, young, hungry, great recruiting HC is the sole answer is a mistake. Again, Wilk may have been everyone of those things. I remember the type of players he was going after his first two years but was unable to land. Was it because he wasn't charismatic enough or couldn't seal the deal or was it because they'd look at our facilities (or lack of) and say "no thanks"? I agree our new HC needs to be all those things, but if we dont address the other issues, we'll be facing the same situation we're in now.
                      +1

Everyone in Commerce loves Coach Carthel & co. but Ryan Ivey and now Tim McMurray (and staffs) have been just as vital to the resurgence at TAMUC. The football coaches cannot go it alone, and be successful.

But at Commerce the administration stepped up repeatedly, all the way up to the President, to make sure student athletes have support, resources, and most of all funding. And the effect is Commerce has consistently ranked better each year across all programs, punctuated by things like year after year Learfield cup improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

I'm not sure an older established coach is the answer, Guy Morris ring a bell? Kingsville needs a hungry go getter who can win recruits with a visoon and is willing to go with non traditional players. How many coaches would have gone after Perez, or any of those big h back/tight ends the Carthels love? Not many, but that's what made don and Colby great, they would risk taking a kid that was on paper too slow, too big, or just weird and win.
                        David Baliff says Hi.
                        Last edited by LSC Fan; 11-27-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

David Baliff is says Hi.
                          Good point.

I've spent a ton of time with both coaches, and while their backgrounds are very similar, they are nothing alike. Both great guys, but Guy seemed very worn down and tired. His latter diagnosis with altzheimers may have caused some of that, I'll never know. But I honestly enjoyed being around him. He just never seemed 100% "in" at Commerce.

But Bailiff is one of those guys who honestly seem energized by younger players and feeds off of them. He's very energetic and has a great personality, very likable guy. He's got that 100% buy in that Morriss seemed to lack. It also helps that his high school coach and Lion legend - Eddie Vowell - is right in the middle of things in Commerce again, believe it or not. He's really helped a lot with the older players staying involved and getting more of them back on campus as well. I get a kick out of every conversation I have with Vowell, he's awesome.

My point here is there isn't a right or wrong "way", there's just right or wrong people.
                          Last edited by LionFan; 11-27-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

Good point.

I've spent a ton of time with both coaches, and while their backgrounds are very similar, they are nothing alike. Both great guys, but Guy seemed very worn down and tired. His latter diagnosis with altzheimers may have caused some of that, I'll never know. But I honestly enjoyed being around him. He just never seemed 100% "in" at Commerce.

But Bailiff is one of those guys who honestly seem energized by younger players and feeds off of them. He's very energetic and has a great personality, very likable guy. He's got that 100% buy in that Morriss seemed to lack. It also helps that his high school coach - Eddie Vowell - is right in the middle of things in Commerce again, believe it or not. He's really helped a lot with the older players staying involved and getting more of them back on campus as well. I get a kick out of every conversation I have with Vowell, he's awesome.

My point here is there isn't a right or wrong "way", there's just right or wrong people.
                            Bailiff isnt having to rebuild a d2 program from the ground up with sub par facilities and a losing streak a mile long.. he is starting with a talent loaded team that is just two years out from winning a natty. He is in maintenance mode, it's a world of difference from a complete ground up rebuild.

He simply has to reload and coach his scheme on the field, something established older coaches are pretty good at, rebuilding from scratch with limited resources and institutional short comings is a young man's game.

I agree that it's about getting the right people, that's why most of the guys who build up from "nothing" these types programs are young, its cause it takes a tremendous amount of drive and energy, orders of magnitude greater than what is needed to maintain an already winning established program.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Bailiff isnt having to rebuild a d2 program from the ground up with sub par facilities and a losing streak a mile long.. he is starting with a talent loaded team that is just two years out from winning a natty. He is in maintenance mode, it's a world of difference from a complete ground up rebuild.

He simply has to reload and coach his scheme on the field, something established older coaches are pretty good at, rebuilding from scratch with limited resources and institutional short comings is a young man's game.

I agree that it's about getting the right people, that's why most of the guys who build up from "nothing" these types programs are young, its cause it takes a tremendous amount of drive and energy, orders of magnitude greater than what is needed to maintain an already winning established program.
                              The situations at the two schools are so vastly different, other than they both have A&M in the name. Commerce is established. Kingsville is... in constant transition?

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                                Josh Lynn came into Portales NM of all places with our old stadium, non existant everything and WON, after he started winning they remodeled the locker room, built a new stadium, increased funding etc.

I'm not saying a new charismatic coach is the absolute cure, but if you dont find the right coach...you wont have a program, no matter how cool your stuff is to look at. I promise EASTERN could have a locker room like Oregon or LSU and if we are fighting with Commerce or WT for a recruit ENMU is the fall back plan AFTER juco.....Kingsville has a way better starting point.

Kingsville has ALOT going for it, near the coast, its WARM! Great history and fan support, yalls tailgate is supreme! One of these years I will take my sons to see Eastern play there, NFL HOFERS for goodness sake, find someone who can help recruits see the glass half full, then the pressure on the admins can really crank up.

Texas tech has great stuff and the suck cause they keep going after the wrong coaches, they need a non traditional coach, just like kingsville does, find your coach first.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X