Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Is that why you think WT & Angelo did not accept invitations? Because they believe they are "too good to play in it"?
    I think there may be a bit of that with Hughes, but more than that for both I think it's about getting face time wih recruits.

ENMU is at a different place program wise, we are playing the long game, both literal and figurative.

It's a pattern used by many successful football architects when dealing with limited resources, Snyder used it in Manhattan, Osborn in Neb. and Rocky long was using it at UNM.

1. Run a scheme that maximizes the talent of your state. Go out and recruit your instate kids heavily, esp the odd ones, too short, etc.

2. Build interest in the program by spotlighting successes, especially with those in state kids.

3. make smart investments in facilities etc.

4. Find 1 or 2 really good nontraditional impact players every recruiting class or so, think Darren Sproles, Brian Urlacher, and use that to increase donations and alumni involvement.

When Long was at UNM every qualified athlete in NM had an open invite to walk on at UNM, no matter their height, school size etc. Long believed, and it was working that if he could bring in and develope 1 or 2 NFL quality players every other 4 year class he could increase funding and begin to compete for NM blue chip players. Until he got pushed out it was working UNM was playing respectable defense and was starting to win. Now UNM is a steaming pile of crap.

Lynn and now Lee are using the same formula, use as many instate kids as possible, sprinkle in a few juco transfers and out of state kids where needed, and showcase the best athletes they can, and hope that eventually they will land a kid that doesn't fit the mold of his position but is really good. Cass was one of those as is Strand, although neither one will play in the NFL, they are local kids who have done very well and prove to folks that NM kids will get a real opportunity to play AND succeed at ENMU, vs be an afterthought at UNM. Eventually Eastern may find a running back, linebacker, d end or reciever at some small school in NM who is the next Hank Basket or Urlacher.

As it stands I think ENMU biggest goals is to keep a winning record, compete for a Conference title about every 4 years or so and begin to make the playoffs on a semi regular basis. As funding increases that should get easier.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

I think there may be a bit of that with Hughes, but more than that for both I think it's about getting face time wih recruits.

ENMU is at a different place program wise, we are playing the long game, both literal and figurative.

It's a pattern used by many successful football architects when dealing with limited resources, Snyder used it in Manhattan, Osborn in Neb. and Rocky long was using it at UNM.

1. Run a scheme that maximizes the talent of your state. Go out and recruit your instate kids heavily, esp the odd ones, too short, etc.

2. Build interest in the program by spotlighting successes, especially with those in state kids.

3. make smart investments in facilities etc.

4. Find 1 or 2 really good nontraditional impact players every recruiting class or so, think Darren Sproles, Brian Urlacher, and use that to increase donations and alumni involvement.

When Long was at UNM every qualified athlete in NM had an open invite to walk on at UNM, no matter their height, school size etc. Long believed, and it was working that if he could bring in and develope 1 or 2 NFL quality players every other 4 year class he could increase funding and begin to compete for NM blue chip players. Until he got pushed out it was working UNM was playing respectable defense and was starting to win. Now UNM is a steaming pile of crap.

Lynn and now Lee are using the same formula, use as many instate kids as possible, sprinkle in a few juco transfers and out of state kids where needed, and showcase the best athletes they can, and hope that eventually they will land a kid that doesn't fit the mold of his position but is really good. Cass was one of those as is Strand, although neither one will play in the NFL, they are local kids who have done very well and prove to folks that NM kids will get a real opportunity to play AND succeed at ENMU, vs be an afterthought at UNM. Eventually Eastern may find a running back, linebacker, d end or reciever at some small school in NM who is the next Hank Basket or Urlacher.

As it stands I think ENMU biggest goals is to keep a winning record, compete for a Conference title about every 4 years or so and begin to make the playoffs on a semi regular basis. As funding increases that should get easier.
      I have a brand new respect for that wishbone offense ENMU runs. I always thought it was boring and outdated especially during the WT run and shoot days. Now I get to watch my alma mater Tascosa High school in Amarillo run the flexbone offense to perfection. They rarely have to pass and no high school coach in the metroplex has zero clue how to defend it the last couple of years in the playoffs. Its a thing of beauty.

Comment

ENMU up 13 to 0 with a minute left in the 1st qtr.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie8myBrainz View Post
          ENMU up 13 to 0 with a minute left in the 1st qtr.
          Anybody got a video link?

Comment

https://www.altitudenow.com/

Unfortunately, you need a directTV or other active tv subscription in order to watch,

Comment

I'm not liking this loss of momentum. Hounds still up 13 to 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie8myBrainz View Post
                I'm not liking this loss of momentum. Hounds still up 13 to 7.
                Yea Southern Arkansas is keying on something they see on our offense.

Comment

Hounds offense still struggling but defense is preserving the lead....barely. 13-10 hounds punts traded in the beginning of the second half.

Comment

Eastern held scoreless for nearly 2 quarters, finally break through with 55 seconds left in the 3rd.

20-10 ENMU.

Comment

Eastern's Strand Fumbles a snap, SAU has the ball on the hound 29, SAU takes a shot at the endzone then runs it. 3rd down to start the 4th quarter coming up.

Comment

FG SAU - 20-13 hounds....

Comment

Check out this stat line

ENMU 316 yards of offense

173 yards rushing

143 yards passing

Most balanced i have ever seen....

Comment

Comment

Hounds defense just stood up a wall on a goal line stand ENMU still up 20-13 2 minutes left in the game. Hounds ball after a PF penalty after the play on the 18.

Comment

1st DII Post Season win in school history. 3 big wins in a row to end the year for the Hounds. Broke school single season rushing record in the process.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X