Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High School State Champion?

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Is it because the southern Texas teams have more soccer, thus taking away from football?

That is the theory that is being held up in the little town I live in. "If they just dropped that damn soccer, more kids would play football!"
    I am guessing the high population of Hispanics lends more attention to baseball & soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      I am guessing the high population of Hispanics lends more attention to baseball & soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
        Funny term Hispanic. The Romans named Spain Hispania after an animal called Hyrax because they believed all the rabbits they saw were hyraxes. There were no rabbits from where they were from. So, Hispania means land of the Hyrax even though none ever lived there. And to make matters worse we call a group of people after this varmit.

Led to all these mindless facts.
        People from Spain aren't typically brown like the people we term "Hispanics" in the US. Spaniards are very European looking, but when they traveled to the new world there was some mixing with the natives (whether voluntary or not) of Inca, Mayan, Aztec, Comanche, etc. Something else to add to your mindless facts. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
          People from Spain aren't typically brown like the people we term "Hispanics" in the US. Spaniards are very European looking, but when they traveled to the new world there was some mixing with the natives (whether voluntary or not) of Inca, Mayan, Aztec, Comanche, etc. Something else to add to your mindless facts. :wink:
          You see it in Mexico. The socioeconomic classes are pretty much drawn along these lines. The more wealthy and politically powerful are more European ancestry vs the traditional poor which go way back to the civilizations you noted. While the focus on European blood lines in Mexico seems to focus on the Spanish, there are a number of people down there who have German and Italian roots as a number of them immigrated to Mexico when the great migration was taking place to the US as well. You can see their influence in some of the cities down there in older parts where if you didn't know you were in Mexico, you could pass it off as an old street in Italy or Germany for that matter. Plus in my few trips down there, I was surprised by the number of Jewish Synagogues and business which catered to Jewish folks. You also have some generational families down there from other parts of the Middle East like Syria, Lebanon, etc.

Growing up in the RGV I got see the wealthily from the other side more than I'd liked too. Before big retail got rolling down in Monterrey in particular and the the more recent cartel activity, the money folks would come to McAllen in droves to spend, spend and spend and they expected to be treated like royalty. If they saw you in line waiting to pay for a shirt or two, and they had ten or more, they expected to be waited on first because they were spending more money than you and they would get very rude to you and the store clerk. They own alot of properties on South Padre Island. Most of us got burned by the pretty girl back then who was light skinned, colored eyes , etc when her response to us was in Spanish. And what was funny is my hispanic friends couldn't respond because their Spanish was worse that some of the white boys. LOL!

Comment

I'm a little confused. Is this a High School football championship thread or a High School history thread?

No matter which, it's been a good read. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
              I'm a little confused. Is this a High School football championship thread or a High School history thread?

Well, apparently both with sociology and history thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

It's called off season in LSC for which a few us starts much earlier than others..... Unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                  You see it in Mexico. The socioeconomic classes are pretty much drawn along these lines. The more wealthy and politically powerful are more European ancestry vs the traditional poor which go way back to the civilizations you noted. While the focus on European blood lines in Mexico seems to focus on the Spanish, there are a number of people down there who have German and Italian roots as a number of them immigrated to Mexico when the great migration was taking place to the US as well. You can see their influence in some of the cities down there in older parts where if you didn't know you were in Mexico, you could pass it off as an old street in Italy or Germany for that matter. Plus in my few trips down there, I was surprised by the number of Jewish Synagogues and business which catered to Jewish folks. You also have some generational families down there from other parts of the Middle East like Syria, Lebanon, etc.

Growing up in the RGV I got see the wealthily from the other side more than I'd liked too. Before big retail got rolling down in Monterrey in particular and the the more recent cartel activity, the money folks would come to McAllen in droves to spend, spend and spend and they expected to be treated like royalty. If they saw you in line waiting to pay for a shirt or two, and they had ten or more, they expected to be waited on first because they were spending more money than you and they would get very rude to you and the store clerk. They own alot of properties on South Padre Island. Most of us got burned by the pretty girl back then who was light skinned, colored eyes , etc when her response to us was in Spanish. And what was funny is my hispanic friends couldn't respond because their Spanish was worse that some of the white boys. LOL!
                  That's funny. I have been to McAllen several times and was surprised as to nice it was compared to Brownsville. Another thing about McAllen I noticed was how very few people there spoke spanish. Never ran into a situation there where people didn't speak English very well. I have had 3 years HS and 2 years college spanish and can read it much better than I can speak it. But, my broken spanish can get me around when dealing with those in the Houston and San Antonio areas who haven't a clue how to speak english. Which greatly reduces their opportunity here and allows them to be taken advantage of by those who are bilingual.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                    That's funny. I have been to McAllen several times and was surprised as to nice it was compared to Brownsville. Another thing about McAllen I noticed was how very few people there spoke spanish. Never ran into a situation there where people didn't speak English very well. I have had 3 years HS and 2 years college spanish and can read it much better than I can speak it. But, my broken spanish can get me around when dealing with those in the Houston and San Antonio areas who haven't a clue how to speak english. Which greatly reduces their opportunity here and allows them to be taken advantage of by those who are bilingual.

That is very much true! Why? Because those who were either in school back then or running businesses were second or third generations from their roots south of the border and their grandparents and parents put priority in them learning English first.

What was and is still spoken down there is what we call Tex-Mex. People will make english words sound like spainish like calling a pickup truck an el truckque. We used to tick off one of my high school spainish teachers with that to the point she sent a few guys to the Principals office where the Principal just laughed and sent the guys back to the classroom. Tex Mex is damn good REAL border style Mexican food too, not some of this stuff they serve at places that have Taqueria in front of their names. Tip. The best Tex Mexican food places often are generational and are known by the orginal owners first or last names. Most still have family operating them.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                      That is very much true! Why? Because those who were either in school back then or running businesses were second or third generations from their roots south of the border and their grandparents and parents put priority in them learning English first.

What was and is still spoken down there is what we call Tex-Mex. People will make english words sound like spainish like calling a pickup truck an el truckque. We used to tick off one of my high school spainish teachers with that to the point she sent a few guys to the Principals office where the Principal just laughed and sent the guys back to the classroom. Tex Mex is damn good REAL border style Mexican food too, not some of this stuff they serve at places that have Taqueria in front of their names. Tip. The best Tex Mexican food places often are generational and are known by the orginal owners first or last names. Most still have family operating them.
                      but not Pancho's, right? :smile-big:

Comment

You have mashed multiple theories together. Very incorrect information. LOL.

Hispanic, as we use it in America, came from the Latin word hispanicus, simply meaning "From Spain" or "Spainish". (I speak Latin). Hispania is Latin for "Spain".

There are many THEORIES..... one is that it could have derived from the Punic/Hebrew word i-shfania, meaning "isle of the rabbit/hare/hyrax". Another is that it could have derived from the word Hispalis. Hispalis may have derived from the Greek word Heliopolis meaning "city of the sun".

There are MANY more theories.....but the term as we use it in English, is directly from the Latin form first mentioned.

Being a first generation American, part of my family comes from Latium and the original Latin tribe, I have,a strong command & knowledge of the language.

What's funny (and irritating) to me is when people use the term Latino and Latin America. LATIN is/was MY people who are from Latium Italy, NOT Spain, Central America, or South America.

Any way.......back to football.

Comment

You have mashed multiple theories together. Very incorrect information. LOL.

Hispanic, as we use it in America, came from the Latin word hispanicus, simply meaning "From Spain" or "Spainish". (I speak Latin). Hispania is Latin for "Spain".

There are many THEORIES..... one is that it could have derived from the Punic/Hebrew word i-shfania, meaning "isle of the rabbit/hare/hyrax". Another is that it could have derived from the word Hispalis. Hispalis may have derived from the Greek word Heliopolis meaning "city of the sun".

There are MANY more theories.....but the term as we use it in English, is directly from the Latin form first mentioned.

Being a first generation American, part of my family comes from Latium and the original Latin tribe, hence my knowledge of the language.

What's funny (and irritating) to me is when people use the term Latino and Latin America. LATIN is/was MY people who are from Latium Italy, NOT Spain, Central America, or South America.

Any way.......back to football.

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                            Latin American countries.
                            *shaking my head*

Comment

*shaking my head*
                              Linguistic Nazi

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                                but not Pancho's, right? :smile-big:
                                As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice! :smile-big:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X