Re: High School State Champion?

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
    Linguistic Nazi
    ROFLMAO. Too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice! :smile-big:
      Hahahahaha. Magoo!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        You have mashed multiple theories together. Very incorrect information. LOL.

Hispanic, as we use it in America, came from the Latin word hispanicus, simply meaning "From Spain" or "Spainish". (I speak Latin). Hispania is Latin for "Spain".

There are many THEORIES..... one is that it could have derived from the Punic/Hebrew word i-shfania, meaning "isle of the rabbit/hare/hyrax". Another is that it could have derived from the word Hispalis. Hispalis may have derived from the Greek word Heliopolis meaning "city of the sun".

There are MANY more theories.....but the term as we use it in English, is directly from the Latin form first mentioned.

Being a first generation American, part of my family comes from Latium and the original Latin tribe, I have,a strong command & knowledge of the language.

What's funny (and irritating) to me is when people use the term Latino and Latin America. LATIN is/was MY people who are from Latium Italy, NOT Spain, Central America, or South America.

Any way.......back to football.

Comment

The "consumer" dna tests are based on a data base of information given by the public. Whereas it uses science to identify match dna, its data base is not science based. Therefore, it is not factual or reliable.

So basically if 30 people with a matched dna all say they are German, everyone who has a match to those 30 people will be told they have German ancestry. The problem is more people take the test than GIVE accurate data. As time goes on the data may get better, but using this method will never be completely accurate or reliable.

Example.. lets say I was adopted but never told. All I was told is that I was Greek. I create a file on Ancestry and put all my adopted families data in there, but use my dna sample. The data pool will now be tainted....and those who match may believe they have Greek ancestry.

I say.....enjoy it. Have fun with it. But keep in mind that everyone in this world is so mixed because of migration and integration.

Comment

Soooooo....in conclusion, not many state champ football teams south of I-10?

Comment

Originally posted by hobiecat View Post
              Soooooo....in conclusion, not many state champ football teams south of I-10?

Comment

I wonder how many Dallas Metro teams have won vs how many Houston Metro teams have won.

Comment

I wonder how many Dallas Metro teams have won vs how many Houston Metro teams have won.
                  Where does "Dallas Metro" stop? Genuine question

Comment

Not sure overall. But, recently DFW Metro has taken home more of the hardware than Houston Metro.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                      Where does "Dallas Metro" stop? Genuine question
                      Brooklyn to the East....LA to the West...lol

Comment

That is very much true! Why? Because those who were either in school back then or running businesses were second or third generations from their roots south of the border and their grandparents and parents put priority in them learning English first.

What was and is still spoken down there is what we call Tex-Mex. People will make english words sound like spainish like calling a pickup truck an el truckque. We used to tick off one of my high school spainish teachers with that to the point she sent a few guys to the Principals office where the Principal just laughed and sent the guys back to the classroom. Tex Mex is damn good REAL border style Mexican food too, not some of this stuff they serve at places that have Taqueria in front of their names. Tip. The best Tex Mexican food places often are generational and are known by the orginal owners first or last names. Most still have family operating them.

Comment

If you are in Corpus and not eating seafood, you are doing it wrong.

Comment

[QUOTE=LSC Fan;2325841]As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice! :smile-big:[/QUOTE

I can remember eating at Pancho's Buffet when my dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso, circa, 1961-62. It was a revelation to an 8 year old kid whose mom could cook frozen fish sticks and hot dogs but not much else!

Funny, what you remember years and years later. I remember most every Sunday afternoon. We'd (my parents, little sis, and I) drive across to Juarez and pick up a wooden crate of bottled Cokes and stop at a roadside stand where we'd buy fresh-made tamales. Here it is 58 years later and I've yet to find a tamale that compared to those. They had the finest blend of spicy-hot shredded pork you could imagine. 58 years ago and I still lust after those tamales!
                            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-14-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

New mexican is where its at! Chile not chili!
                              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

[QUOTE=BuffaloChip;2330205]
                                As in the world famous Mexican Buffets?

Now that place had a purpose when I was in high school. Medicore food, but it was affordable and you got enough quantity for sure and a couple trips to the bathroom when you got home where you could read the entire newpaper twice! :smile-big:[/QUOTE

I can remember eating at Pancho's Buffet when my dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso, circa, 1961-62. It was a revelation to an 8 year old kid whose mom could cook frozen fish sticks and hot dogs but not much else!

Funny, what you remember years and years later. I remember most every Sunday afternoon. We'd (my parents, little sis, and I) drive across to Juarez and pick up a wooden crate of bottled Cokes and stop at a roadside stand where we'd buy fresh-made tamales. Here it is 58 years later and I've yet to find a tamale that compared to those. They had the finest blend of spicy-hot shredded pork you could imagine. 58 years ago and I still lust after those tamales!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X