Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School State Champion?

One for the Brain Trust here. When was the last time a Texas high school football team SOUTH of INTERSTATE 1-10 won a State Championship Title?

Re: High School State Champion?

To clarify, do you mean as in South Texas because there might be a few Houston area schools who are technically south of 10 who might fit this discription. I believe it was Refugio in 2016. Same year Calallen almost knocked off Aledo at Jerryworld.

Comment

Originally posted by hobiecat View Post
      One for the Brain Trust here. When was the last time a Texas high school football team SOUTH of INTERSTATE 1-10 won a State Championship Title?
      6A Big 1??? Or do you mean any conference & division.

Comment

Refugio and Cuero have several titles between the two of them. Bigger schools, San Antonio is about as far south in about 60 years.
        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

If you mean FAR south......um...IDK.. maybe the '61 Donna Skins? Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
            Refugio and Cuero have several titles between the two of them. Bigger schools, San Antonio is about as far south in about 60 years.
            Converse Judson and Smithson Valley are bigger San Antonio area schools that have won it. But, both are north of I-10 though. So smaller ISDs must be what you are going for.

Refugio comes to mind. Manvel in the Houston area is also south of I-10. La Marque before there ISD collapsed. Jack Yates High in Houston. Pearland Oilers won it once also south of ten.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
              I think it's been awhile since Cuero has won a title? They had a few down years not so long ago. Or at least down by their standards.

I think Falls City (between Floresville and Kennedy) won a title a few years ago too. But I'm pretty sure it was Refugio who won the last one from the region

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                Converse Judson and Smithson Valley are bigger San Antonio area schools that have won it. But, both are north of I-10 though. So smaller ISDs must be what you are going for.

Refugio comes to mind. Manvel in the Houston area is also south of I-10. La Marque before there ISD collapsed. Jack Yates High in Houston. Pearland Oilers won it once also south of ten.
                La Marque ISD didn't just collapse, they crashed and burned.

We had some epic battles against them in the 90's. Those semi games were in effect the state title games as La Marque went on the next week and tore the other semi winner to shreds. They were very, very athletic while we had good enduraance and strength conditioning.
                Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-03-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/adv...85676016a.html

Cuero's last state title was in 1987. Look at the clip posted and you will see Javelina Baseball coach Jason Gonzales pictured at a reunion of the team last year.

They might be making an appearence this year in Jerryworld. Stay tuned.

Comment

Reason I was asking....friend and I were talking about successful TX football programs and why there are so few from the lower part of the state. I should have been more specific with a 5a/6a State champion south of I-10. I had forgotten about Refugio and their win. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Reason I was asking....friend and I were talking about successful TX football programs and why there are so few from the lower part of the state. I should have been more specific with a 5a/6a State champion south of I-10. I had forgotten about Refugio and their win. Thanks for the replies.
                      Unfortunatley there hasn't been any state title winners from what would be that classification or it's equivalent in decades. I mean you would have to go back to the 60's with some of the Corpus Christi ISD schools that won it. Donna won it in 1961 in what would be considered class 3A or 4A today. Several others made the finals, but lost in the state title game. In recent years (going back to 2000), Calallen has been the only 5A to make the state title game (2005 and 2016) from this part of the state.

Comment

Now baseball on the other hand....
                        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Is it because the southern Texas teams have more soccer, thus taking away from football?

That is the theory that is being held up in the little town I live in. "If they just dropped that damn soccer, more kids would play football!"

Comment

Hard to believe - there's like 20 "state champions" a year in Texas these days - who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                              Is it because the southern Texas teams have more soccer, thus taking away from football?

That is the theory that is being held up in the little town I live in. "If they just dropped that damn soccer, more kids would play football!"
                              It's complicated, but it's kind of a combination of factors. The Burbs in the larger metro areas of the state have a more diverse population, parents who have the $$$ for personel training, and the school systems have the $$$ to pay top pay for coaches and their staffs.

The school where I live is an established name in the state, but has lost some good players to baseball only because where as the DFW and Houston areas are great recruiting grounds for football and basketball, we do real well with baseball in this part of the state. The MLB rosters and their minor league affliates have numerous Corpus area high school grads on their current rosters or as former players. Some of these guys could of done real well on the college grid iron as well, but gave it up when they saw the money trail was better on the diamond.

The border region does well with soccer. But many of those kids, unless they are talked into doing punting or place kicking, would only touch of football field to play futbol.
                              Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X