Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wonderinghog View Post

It wasn't exactly an exciting introduction for sure and very scripted. Did I hear they had 140 applicants? Sure a large number of them were no where close to being qualified for the job and it's probably not unique for any open coaching job. But we had to settle for a coach with nothing more than a position coach in the college ranks from almost 20 years ago and a recent high school football coach in the Rio Grande Valley which is not exactly a talent pool for high school football in the state. My fear is he's going to load up from players in that area and the Coastal Bend and ignore the usual recruiting spots in the state and we will continue to be overwhelmed in the talent department. If reports are correct the recruiting budgets and scholarships have not been brought up to LSC and D2 maximum levels or even close to it, he might be left with recruiting that area anyway. It's sort of the same thing the last coaching staff had to do as well.

And indeed is not a good optic not to have the President make some comments at the press conference. Or if he was unavailable, a VP or someone in the administration. Like it's been noted, this only reinforces the perception this President and the higher ups do not have the football program's best interest in mind. Normally with a coaching change, I'd have some optimism going forward, but I don't have any of this as of right now.
    Just bad that the president was not there. Hussey needs to be fired and so does Roach . He is terrible but I knew this day 1. And on the applicants, yes that was mentioned to right after he was hired that there were over 100 applicants. It is hard to believe that the best they could do of all those applicants is a high school coach. It actually looks worse for them to mention this publicly. And yes the valley recruiting has already started, a Weslaco QB has committed to the Javelinas.

Last edited by javs26; 01-08-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by javs26 View Post

Just bad that the president was not there. Hussey needs to be fired and so does Roach . He is terrible but I knew this day 1. And on the applicants, yes that was mentioned to right after he was hired that there were over 100 applicants. It is hard to believe that the best they could do of all those applicants is a high school coach. It actually looks worse for them to mention this publicly. And yes the valley recruiting has already started, a Weslaco QB has committed to the Javelinas.

I hope this is not a trend. It's just a fact the better football talent which allows programs to be competitive is not prevalent south of San Antonio. Certainly you can pick up individual players here and there who can and will be solid contributors and TAMUK/A&I has a history of such players making it big time who went to high school in South Texas. But to try to build a team with them is destined to not work out too well and Willkinson tried the same thing to some extent. However if the budget doesn't allow for the foot print and the battle to be joined in the traditional hotbeds, Salinas might not have a choice.

And really disappointed in the whole process of how this was done. We've had now two consecutive administrations who have showed a passing interest in the football program and it's just sad it's come to this. The hire didn't even get a mention on the D2football home page. That is not a criticism of website. It's noting how much of a non event it was because our program is total non factor in the D2 football sphere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderinghog View Post

It wasn't exactly an exciting introduction for sure and very scripted. Did I hear they had 140 applicants? Sure a large number of them were no where close to being qualified for the job and it's probably not unique for any open coaching job. But we had to settle for a coach with nothing more than a position coach in the college ranks from almost 20 years ago and a recent high school football coach in the Rio Grande Valley which is not exactly a talent pool for high school football in the state. My fear is he's going to load up from players in that area and the Coastal Bend and ignore the usual recruiting spots in the state and we will continue to be overwhelmed in the talent department. If reports are correct the recruiting budgets and scholarships have not been brought up to LSC and D2 maximum levels or even close to it, he might be left with recruiting that area anyway. It's sort of the same thing the last coaching staff had to do as well.

And indeed is not a good optic not to have the President make some comments at the press conference. Or if he was unavailable, a VP or someone in the administration. Like it's been noted, this only reinforces the perception this President and the higher ups do not have the football program's best interest in mind. Normally with a coaching change, I'd have some optimism going forward, but I don't have any of this as of right now.
        Last edited by 76Javs; 01-09-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Three of the four assistant coaching hires were from DIII colleges (Texas Lutheran and Hardin Simmons)

https://javelinaathletics.com/news/2...nas-staff.aspx

Click image for larger version  Name:	La_Hue_Cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.3 KB ID:	473956

Comment

Three of the four assistant coaching hires were from DIII colleges (Texas Lutheran and Hardin Simmons)

Click image for larger version Name:	La_Hue_Cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.3 KB ID:	473956
            Hardened Sinners makes good football.... just saying and they also try to produce quality people, which will come in handy when this old school coach starts bringing in transfers from the California, florida, and texas penal leagues......
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Three of the four assistant coaching hires were from DIII colleges (Texas Lutheran and Hardin Simmons)

Click image for larger version Name:	La_Hue_Cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.3 KB ID:	473956
              Four years ago when Jeff Choate took the helm at Montana State, there was considerable consternation regarding him adding a lot of NAIA coaches to his staff. That has worked out very well for him.

The level one coaches does not necessarily match one's ability to coach.

Comment

Nothing wrong with D3 coaches at all as long as they know their stuff. Or are willing to learn and adapt to new styles of football and the talent levels which get better as the divisions and conferences dictate.

Plus you have to know TAMUK can't be too picky because of years of program mismanagement. This recent coaching search finally revealed how negligent the current and former AD's and school administrators have been towards the football program. The fact we had numerous candidates with years of experience withdraw from the HC's job makes even finding even moderately qualified assistant college coaches even a harder task. Especially considering the lack of resources they will have at their disposal. If Salinas and his crew can get this program over the .500 mark next season with all the variables in place which have not been addressed, then they will deserve coach or staff of the year consideration.

Comment

• Kingsville Record has a story on Briles.

http://www.kingsvillerecord.com/news...08b0103f1.html

Comment

• WOW....the people down in Kingsville are getting desperate. Can't believe there was that many people pushing for Briles.

And maybe I'm misreading, but if the group says the BOR shot down the idea, and the BOR denies shooting it down and says that's the President's choice to make, it sounds like the President/AD made the decision and decided to blame the BOR for saying no

Comment

• Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                      WOW....the people down in Kingsville are getting desperate. Can't believe there was that many people pushing for Briles.

And maybe I'm misreading, but if the group says the BOR shot down the idea, and the BOR denies shooting it down and says that's the President's choice to make, it sounds like the President/AD made the decision and decided to blame the BOR for saying no
                      Hussey is trying to blame it all on the Athletic Director. He is such a terrible president.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                        WOW....the people down in Kingsville are getting desperate. Can't believe there was that many people pushing for Briles.

The article pretty much followed the Facebook posting I posted a few weeks back, so it appears even the administration now confirms Briles was on the table.

It also confirms the fact the program is not being served well by the current administration.

We don't have a President who has the football program's short and long term interest as priority. Sad!

Last edited by LSC Fan; 01-16-2020, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• From today's DCTF mailbag. No I did not send in the question.

https://www.texasfootball.com/articl..._preview_title

@MikePar61546669: Do you think Texas A&M Kingsville moving in the right direction with their new coach. They have a lot to fix.

Shehan Jeyarajah:
                          Last edited by LSC Fan; 01-17-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X